Southampton cruise terminal parking

Tangoqueen

I've just booked a Canaries cruise for November and planning our travel arrangements. Considering either parking at the terminal or booking a hotel/parking package. We are embarking at the Ocean Terminal and disembarking at the Mayflower Cruise Terminal - is this a problem or are there port buses between terminals? Thanks for any suggestions

CPS personnel move your car as appropriate where a different terminal is needed to berth the ship on it's return. Buses are not needed for people who have used CPS because your car is parked very close to the terminal upon return. Other parking companies use different systems with parking further afield, some other side of the water. In these instances the relevant parking company will arrange mini buses to shuttle people and luggage about. Some companies use different systems too closer to the terminal. These types of arrangement are normally a bit cheaper and not as convenient in my experience. Others will disagree.

I have used hotel parking with Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue, and you are requested to park your vehicle at rear of hotel with a sign which they provide being displayed on dash board of your car. They offer one night's accommodation pre-cruise and taxi transfers which they book with you at times of your choosing. You wait in foyer of hotel where drinks may be purchased and are called by taxi driver usually by room number or name. On return to Southampton you phone the telephone number given, when you get to baggage reclaim and the taxis meet you outside. Obviously the taxis turn up at the relevant terminal as they know which ships are where.

For peace of mind I like to book a night in a hotel pre-cruise to avoid missing the sailing. In conjunction with this you can use a parking company anyway instead of the hotel parking system, giving you a greater choice of hotel.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On all occasions we're sailed from Southampton we're used CPS. They are first rate. And as others have correctly said, they make sure is at the correct terminal when you return, regardless of which terminal you sailed from.

One thing I can't understand is people that use these "park on my drive" things. What is the point of that ? You plonk your car on someone's drive somewhere in a housing estate in Southampton, then you have all the effort of them driving you to the terminal, or you having to get a taxi. Then, when you return, you have the same in reverse. And what do you save ? Twenty quid or something over the course of say a 2 week cruise. So people spend say £2k on a cruise and then get all hot and bothered about saving the price of 4 pints of beer in the bar - and what for ? A load of extra effort and hassle.

On all occasions we're sailed from Southampton we're used CPS. They are first rate. And as others have correctly said, they make sure is at the correct terminal when you return, regardless of which terminal you sailed from.

One thing I can't understand is people that use these "park on my drive" things. What is the point of that ? You plonk your car on someone's drive somewhere in a housing estate in Southampton, then you have all the effort of them driving you to the terminal, or you having to get a taxi. Then, when you return, you have the same in reverse. And what do you save ? Twenty quid or something over the course of say a 2 week cruise. So people spend say £2k on a cruise and then get all hot and bothered about saving the price of 4 pints of beer in the bar - and what for ? A load of extra effort and hassle.

We did use this once......I can't remember why but had a great experience. it was on recommendation . A lovely lady called Jayne Cruise -her real name. She had a secure driveway and was insured.......a lovely friendly lady, coffee and a loo stop at hers if needed , a swift transfer to the terminal , as close to the ship as we could get and on disembarkation we just phoned her when we were ready ...there in 10 minutes ....out of interest I did try and google her but no luck .

The savings were about £80 I seem to remember. I would recommend her but couldn't vouch for anyone else's drive!

Thoroughly recommend Parking4cruises they meet and greet you in the short stay car park of whichever terminal you embark and disembark and they generally are a lot cheaper than CPS. Used them many times and never had any problems a very proffesional service. You cannot self park at any of the terminals in Southampton when cruising with Cunard.

Edited by majortom10

We did use this once......I can't remember why but had a great experience. it was on recommendation . A lovely lady called Jayne Cruise -her real name. She had a secure driveway and was insured.......a lovely friendly lady, coffee and a loo stop at hers if needed , a swift transfer to the terminal , as close to the ship as we could get and on disembarkation we just phoned her when we were ready ...there in 10 minutes ....out of interest I did try and google her but no luck .

The savings were about £80 I seem to remember. I would recommend her but couldn't vouch for anyone else's drive!

From what I've read, a lot of people who rent out there drives don't bother insurance (clearly not in your case). And it seems that your insurance company would not pay if something happened either.

It sounds like it worked well for you then and it seems the price difference is more than I thought then.

As a slight aside, I used the "meet and greet" parking at Manchester airport about 6 months ago for a 1 week holiday. It was only about £10 more than parking at the airport's other car parks, which are miles away and then you have to get the shuttle bus, hump your bags and so on. For an extra tenner it was well worth it.

All "meet and greet" car parking companies will return your car to the port at whichever terminal you are disembarking even if it is different than the one you embarked from and also if there are last minute terminal changes without the use of shuttle buses.