Planning Ahead - QM2

curiousx

We're thinking of booking a Princess Grill suite for a transatlantic crossing in 2018 on QM2. Our travelling companion is solo and plans to book one of the Britannia single cabins. Will we be able to invite our companion into the Grills lounge and restaurant? Thanks for your help.

We're thinking of booking a Princess Grill suite for a transatlantic crossing in 2018 on QM2. Our travelling companion is solo and plans to book one of the Britannia single cabins. Will we be able to invite our companion into the Grills lounge and restaurant? Thanks for your help.

In one word, no. Grills restaurant seating is all allocated to passengers booked in Grills staterooms. If you expect to dine together all three of you would have to dine in Britannia. Dining "down" can be arranged but one cannot dine "up". Or your companion will have to pay the supplement to sail solo in Princess Grill.

"Q. Am I able to dine in a restaurant that is allocated for other grades?

If you are allocated to the Britannia restaurant, it would not be possible for you to dine in the Princess Grill or Queens Grill as these restaurants are reserved for those guests travelling in Princess Grill or Queens Grill suites. It is also not possible for you to upgrade to dine in Princess Grill or Queens Grill restaurants, unless you upgrade your stateroom prior to sailing.

If you wish to dine with other guests who are booked into a different stateroom category you would all need to be booked into the same stateroom category."

It sounds draconian, but one Grills couple could use this as a hook to invite all manner of new "friends" into the Grills restaurants.

Depending on how full the ship is and who is the Maitre D', others have reported being able to bring in somebody for a special occasion, but it was a one-off.

Edited by BlueRiband

You can invite your companion into the Grills Lounge for the 'occasional' Pre dinner cocktail providing you are footing the bill. The crew in there are only too pleased to have some guests who are supporting the Bar revenue + their 15%;)

Then again why would you want to sit in the Grills Lounge, it's often like a morgue in there. The place to be seen in is the Commodore Club, it's full of atmosphere between 7pm -8.30pm. ;)

Will we be able to invite our companion into the Grills lounge and restaurant? Thanks for your help.

Actually, there is nothing stopping you inviting anyone you want, to join you in the Queens Lounge. It is quite permissible. We've done it happily, and it doesn't matter who's footing the bill.

Not so with the restaurant, as has been intimated.

Anyone can turn up at the Britannia at lunchtime, so you all could lunch together without any problem whatsoever.

In the evening, you can always dine together in any speciality restaurant.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

You can invite your companion into the Grills Lounge for the 'occasional' Pre dinner cocktail providing you are footing the bill. The crew in there are only too pleased to have some guests who are supporting the Bar revenue + their 15%;)

Then again why would you want to sit in the Grills Lounge, it's often like a morgue in there. The place to be seen in is the Commodore Club, it's full of atmosphere between 7pm -8.30pm. ;)

On formal nights the Grills Lounge often has private recitals for Grills guests. These are announced by cards on the dining tables. But you might prefer different entertainment.

Everybody has provided great suggestions on how to navigate the QM2's class system. I would add a tiny bit...you all could drink and hang out in my favorite spot, the Chart Room, where there is often terrific music and lots of conviviality.

On formal nights the Grills Lounge often has private recitals for Grills guests. These are announced by cards on the dining tables. But you might prefer different entertainment.

I've lost count of the number of Grills voyages I've completed, not to mention experiencing those occasional 'Grills Recitals'. Just make sure you've put your after dinner drink order in, well in time. Waiter/floor service often disappears during the recital, Oh, and make sure you don't accidentally cough, sneeze or fidget, otherwise you'll be given dark looks :D

I'd be inclined to take tv24's suggestion and join the in crowd in the Chart room ;)

Edited by Bell Boy

I've lost count of the number of Grills voyages I've completed, not to mention experiencing those occasional 'Grills Recitals'. Just make sure you've put your after dinner drink order in, well in time. Waiter/floor service often disappears during the recital, Oh, and make sure you don't accidentally cough, sneeze or fidget, otherwise you'll be given dark looks :D

I'd be inclined to take tv24's suggestion and join the in crowd in the Chart room ;)

See you there, Bell Boy! We're on Oct. 25 from Brooklyn, and again Dec. 15 from Southampton...and then probably again in June, 2017.