Carnival Photographers...love or hate..

Jabee

I could not believe this thread was resurrected....

My original post was after my first cruise on the Conquest. I don't mind the photogs, but did object to them literally getting in your way.

Now...on my second cruise on the Celebration, the photogs were set up on several places on the ship, but only a couple of times (ex. leaving dinner and having the dancing girl try to pose) did I feel very intruded on. In fact, we actually went to several differnt locations ahd had our pic made, and (gasp) actually bought a few of them.

I did fell guilty, having 20 shots made, and knowing that 17 of them ended up in the shredder. (How many trees die for Carnival pics...that are not bought.)

Oh my...that statement will keep this thread going for a while.

I did have ont thing that got me aggravated on the Celebration. I was in the Talent show, so I bought the DVD of the trip, thinking the concert was on it. Nopt...you have to buy a seperate VCR instead....and when I asked for my money back on the CD, I was told no refunds. I protested, and was told don't you want a memory of your trip. I pointed out that the camera never was aimed at me during the trip, and I had my own camcorder. Finally I got my refund, and very poor and grainy VCR tape instead.

I still felt like the photogs on the Conquest were very pushy. Just please give me the option to walk on by and say no thanks.

JB

Being in cruise mode, there was not alot that could have ticked me off last week, including a pushy photographer, In fact, I posed whenever I was asked, knowing I was not gonna buy most of the pics I did goofy faces and smiles to have fun with it. Seeing the 8x10 glossies of me loooking like I was on ***** was very entertaining. My mom hated the photographers, lol. I swore by the end of the week there was gonna be a pic of an old lady flipping one of em off, and that would be my mom!

My DH and I have mastered the art of hiding from the photographers....but this will be our first cruise with DD...so maybe I will be the one hunting THEM down....I am such a sucker for pictures of her! :D

DH tried to count up the amount of money we have spent in her whole 9 years on portraits, school pics, developing fees, digital camera etc...LOL he lost count.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the photos. But I have to admit, sometimes it's a little irritating when you are standing in a line to get off the ship and waiting on the "photo ops". The ones during dinner can be somewhat tiresome also. But, a polite smile and "no thanks" is all it takes if you don't want to be photographed at dinner. So, all in all I'd say they're fine. :)

hate them. It slows everything down. I think it should be an option that is away from the main traffic getting on or off the ship and going to dinner. I don't want to have to get around families taking multiple pictures of different combinations and scenes when I'm trying to go to dinner.

On our last cruise, we didn't encounter a lot of pesky photogs... we didn't see any in the dining room and the only time we saw Funship Freddy was during a stage show. Some of the best pix of DH and I were the posed photos that we gladly stood in line 1/2 hour for! :o

The phtogoraphers are intrusive. I do not mind their stattions for the formal pictures because if you want one you can choose to get in line and have your photo made. I despise them at the end of the gangplank holding up leaving the ship. If they would set up a station separate from the gangplank that would be different and I would not mind. They are intrusive during dinner as well. After dinner, it is a different story...they could set up outside of the dining room, but I refuse to have mine made due to their intrusive nature.

If I want a photo, I will go to them.

I would not say they are pesky and HATe is such a strong word. The last photos we took on the Liberty in Europe were some of the best we have ever taken. Also it was great to have them at certain events outside of the ship. We have a beautiful shot at the Greek Theatre in Taromina Sicily. Plus we always buy the getting on the ship photo. So no I do not mind them, I do not have buy them. I have a picture of me and mom from a previous cruise that was worth it, she would never go somewhere in town to have the same thing done

While the photogs can be intrusive, we have gotten some of the greatest pictures .. sure, would be nice if they did not stop our conversations at dinner, but then we would have missed out on the phots of our tablemates or of some of the best pictures we have ... I am actually less likely to pose for a pic and have yet to do so, the photogs at dinner then give me an excuse to have my pic taken ...

I also would be disappointed if they did not take pics all the time ... I have come to expect it ...

Candy

The one thing on my cruise that was a bit of a surprise to me, was the number of photographers.

I got a bit angry, when I found out the pictures cose $20 each, and decided they were not worth it. But, they still kept taking my picture, and when I started telling them no, they started getty pesky back, demanding I get it taken anyway.

And then....every where you try to go, there is a photog. Trying to go down steps, and they are taking pics on the bottom step. Leaving the dining room, and they have a dancing girl at the door. While trying to eat, they come by your table. At one point they were even in front of the elevators.

I loved my cruise, but, I firmly believe if they only took the picutures of people who wanted pictures taken, maybe they could reduce the price to something people could afford.

Anybody else find this frustrating?

While I agree with you that it is annoying...especially on a vacation...Carnival makes a KILLING on the photos. It keeps the money pouring in for them so believe me they have no plans on stopping. I hate the embarkation photo. After you've traveled to the pier, zig zaged in the line for 2-4 hours, flashed your ID 10,000 times, all you want to hear is "SAY CHEESE" :eek:

• 11 months later...

but you are responding to a post from March 12, 2006!!

I can't believe this string continues to live....I started it in November of 2005!!

Like a bad penny...it keeps on reappearing...

But...I still don't like the intrusive Carnival photographers...

but after next week...

I suspect I will also not like the NCL photographers!!

But...in December I will be back to Carnival...

I was amazed at how many photos they take ... and when I could I was in a shot or two!!! The more pictures I took the more I had to pick from. Only purchase the best 2 and had tons to pick from. My son actually learned to smile, he was hamming it up too!!! I don't get to do that too offen and its what you make of it!! Have fun with it ... takes them seconds for a shot and your done!!

I just remembered what picutres we took checked that night and got rid of the ones I didn't like and left the rest to sort though in the end!

They can be ignoring if you let them ;)

You can't continue walking when they stand in the gangway and hold everyone up so they can take someones picute in front of the sailor or whatever the prop is. Yes, they actually made everyone stop, so you had no choice.

JIm

When i got to Nassau on my recent cruise, I "pretended" to beat up the pirate on the gangway who was trying to cut me. I thought it was pretty funny but for some reason I never found that picture

:rolleyes:

I have taken pictures of the photographers taking pictures - they think it's pretty funny when you try and get their picture!! (Hey, I am a scrapbooker - makes for an interesting page...)

We have a cruise corner of framed pictures from our cruises as well. I love the "free" oppty to bet a bunch taken and if you like 'em, even better! It is cheaper than going to a studio to have a family/couple portrait done once you figure in the sitting fees etc! Plus you're all relaxed and happy and sun-kissed. I love the cruise photos.

If you don't want your picture taken, just tell them "No Thank You" and keep walking!

I'm with you on this one, especially if the photographer is this really charming Ukranian guy who was on our cruise in 2005. Yeah, baby!!

Gee, sorry to hear you've had such bad experience with photographers on Carnival. :( We've never experienced this. If memory serves me correctly, about the only time we have ever been approached by a photographer, was on embarkation and then again on formal night at dinner when a photographer usually appears at our table to take group and couples photos. We've never, never been pressured to purchase any photo. We always put our best foot forward on formal night to dress-up nicely and get a good family photo taken! It's one of the highlights of each of our cruises!!

We would go to all the different stations and pose for pics when we had extra time...it was fun going to check them out the next day. However we did only end up buying one picture. Would be nice if they had some different packages like 3 for $50 or something.

My first cruise on Norweigen Norway they had a deal where you paid one price and got all the pictures you were in... I would have been interested in that this time.

And I was hoping they'd have some last minute deals at disembarkation but they didn't.... guess if people knew that ahead of time they'd just wait.

Archived