Carnival Photographers...love or hate..

Jabee

Not frustrating for us. As in any other situation in life, just say no or ignore them. ;)

Exactly.

If you don't want your photo taken, this is an excellent opportunity to practice your assertiveness! Repeat after me: "No, thank you!"

• 11 months later...

I figured I would pull up this old thread instead of starting a new one.

I usually have a pleasant exchange with their photographers. If we don't want them to take our picture, we just kindly decline and move on. The pictures we don't want, we simpy don't buy them. That being said, I am sharing this story to point out that occasionally they do step over the line, and some of the complaints I have heard may be justified.

The bad experience was with a photographer on the Glory in September. We were taking a group shot in the lobby in front of the elevators on the raised area with personal cameras.

Now I want to stress this:

They were not shooting Carnival photos there. They were shooting photos nearby at the staircase across the lobby.

While we were taking our pictures, one of the Carnival photographers came over and told us we would have to move on because he had a group that wanted their picture taken by him there. This was not a scheduled event and there were no signs saying the place was reserved.

Needless to say, we were not very receptive to his demand. We finished our pictures and then moved. He was not happy. I felt this was totally inappropriate. Just because a group wants to pay Carnival for a picture does not mean they should treat another group badly. It wasn't right for him to pull a photographic "eminent domain" on us! We sent a strongly worded letter to Customer Service about it, but never heard anything back.

The only time I think it is annoying is when they insist on blocking the gangway when everyone is trying to get off the ship in a port. It would be nice if they would just set up a station off the gangway for those that like a picture in every port.

The one thing on my cruise that was a bit of a surprise to me, was the number of photographers.

I got a bit angry, when I found out the pictures cose $20 each, and decided they were not worth it. But, they still kept taking my picture, and when I started telling them no, they started getty pesky back, demanding I get it taken anyway.

And then....every where you try to go, there is a photog. Trying to go down steps, and they are taking pics on the bottom step. Leaving the dining room, and they have a dancing girl at the door. While trying to eat, they come by your table. At one point they were even in front of the elevators.

I loved my cruise, but, I firmly believe if they only took the picutures of people who wanted pictures taken, maybe they could reduce the price to something people could afford.

Anybody else find this frustrating?

Not frustrating at all, and I never found the photographers to be pesky or demanding at all on those occasions when I don't feel like having my picture taken.

One of my favorite cruise pictures was taken of my boyfriend and I when leaving port during the sail away party of the second half of a back-to-back cruise adventure. A GREAT shot... we were looking good, cool, casual and TAN. This chick almost always hates how I photograph, but the picture was so good I used it for my first ever photo Christmas card. That has developed into a tradition... Lizz and Bill Carnival cruise photo Christmas cards. I look forward to the photo ops on board...

Relax. Chill. Smile and say cheese let them take your picture and if you don't want to buy it, then don't. :)

:cool:

Not frustrating at all, and I never found the photographers to be pesky or demanding at all on those occasions when I don't feel like having my picture taken.

Relax. Chill. Smile and say cheese let them take your picture and if you don't want to buy it, then don't. :)

:cool:

I started this thread after my first cruise, and now I have been on eight.

I have learned to say "No Pics Please" and most of them time I then can walk right by.

I did have one very aggravating jerk, who after I had told him on four occassions no, held his camera up and took my picture anyway.

I did send his name in on my questionaire, and it was not pretty.

Unwanted pics are a waste of money. The waste of good paper (ie trees) is horrendous for a company who wants to paint itself as enviromentally friendly (and I am not a huge hug a tree guy.)

I have bought a few pics, after I went to where they were set up and posed for them. But, when I am embarking carrying my luggage, I do not want to be herded into the posed pic. I do not want to have to wait in line to get off the ship because some crewmember with a fake parrot wants me to pose.

Let me just walk by. That is all I ask. Please do not impede my trip by making me stand in line just so I can say no.

And especially...DO NOT BLOCK PUBLIC AREAS of the ship (ie stairways) for hours at a time when we need to actually walk up and down the stairways.

And...dont ask me to say chill, smila and say cheese unless I invite you to take my picture.

And maybe, without all the waste, the cost of pictures might come down to a reasonable amout and I might actually let them take my picture a few more times and actually buy some of their photos.

I always get a kick out of what character they will have that day at the end of the gangway. Like someone else said, it's funny when it's an "authentic" Jamaican or "authentic" Mexican like they're some kid's cartoon character or something.

That being said, I think great pictures are basically priceless!! Some of my best pictures ever have been taken on Carnival! I pose like a little diva queen!

We enjoy having our picture made.....after-all, you are not obligated to buy them. My husband does tend to go overboard a bit, thinking we have to buy them! Gosh darn, they turn out so good! Sometimes it's hard to resist! :)

Exactly.

If you don't want your photo taken, this is an excellent opportunity to practice your assertiveness! Repeat after me: "No, thank you!"

....or .....tell the photographer......I'm in the Witness Protection Program and you can't take my picture....;)

On our first cruise we bought them all. After a while they just seem the same ole so we bought less and less. This time we did not even go to look at them.

The photographer in the dining romm (Valor) was not pushy when we declined but he was there every night. The ones at the Ports can be pushy when they try to get you to pose with a naff stuffed parrot or something similar. Some of those backgrounds on the formal ones look awful, really false.

The pushiest I came across was with RCCL. She would walk up to our table and start moving things out of the way whilst we were eating.

We only take pictures on formal night and decline any others.

Usually the photo people are fine when we say "no thanks", if they continue to hound us we will pose for them. We make funny faces and give them some hand gestures. Looking at these funny pics, in the gallery, makes for a few good laughs. Some of them end up being bought :p

I do hate when they slow the gang plank up...they should step aside and take pictures without stopping the other guests from exiting. It is never enough of a problem to affect our day, we just go with the flow and have fun with them. ;)

While the $21.95 charge per photo kept me from buying all that I really wanted, I didn't find the photographers to be that pesky. If we didn't want our picture taken we just politely told them "no thank you" and they moved on. Never had a problem.

I hated to see so many photos being wasted though. It seems like they could find a way to put your photos on the interactive TV in your room that way people could look at their photos in the privacy of their own room, and decide if they wanted to purchase any, and be given more options for sizes like a sheet of wallet prints, a sheet of 2 5x7's or an 8x10, etc. I would think they'd sell more that way, and there would be no waste in printing pictures that people don't purchase.

I was impressed by how many different backgrounds they offered though.

[quote name='cruisingmore']Has anyone had any luck getting the photo department to print your picture a different size? Say they printed an 8x10, but you would rather have it as a 5x7. Just Curious....[/quote]

I havent had any success with that. I've asked them and they said it only comes in the size that you see. Fournately, the pic I bought came in 5x7.

Archived