New to NCL...looking for the Cliffs Notes version of NCL 101

mcd2745

Done a few cruises each on RCCL & DCL. We're taking our first NCL cruise on the Getaway in February, and starting to really dive into our research now that summer is over and this is the next big vacation on our schedule.

My main concern centers around dining as it seems that will be the primary difference from our previous cruises. Do I need to make dinner reservations for every night? I know there are 3 "MDRs" on Getaway...but you are not assigned to any? For breakfast...what are the options outside of the buffet?

Besides dining, I'm guessing most of the other aspects of the cruise will prove to be more similar to the other lines than different. Is that assumption correct? Hoping some of you who are familiar with NCL and the other lines can provide a high-level rundown of the major differences.

You don't need to make any reservations at all if you don't want.

With the MDRs, reservations are only needed if you are part of a big group. Other than that, just turn up when you want. If it's busy then there may be a bit of a queue, but nothing too bad.

If you want to eat in one of the speciality restaurants then it's worth making a reservation as sometimes they can be full, so you can't get in at all. In my experience, you can usually get in somewhere though, just not necessarily where you want.

We usually have a number of days per cruise when we just decide at the time where we fancy eating.

Breakfast is serves in the buffet, one of the MDRs and also o'Sheehans (plus a continental breakfast from room service). There may be other venues on the Getaway, but that's all I can think of right now. There is no need to go to the buffet if you don't want.

Done a few cruises each on RCCL & DCL. We're taking our first NCL cruise on the Getaway in February, and starting to really dive into our research now that summer is over and this is the next big vacation on our schedule.

My main concern centers around dining as it seems that will be the primary difference from our previous cruises. Do I need to make dinner reservations for every night? I know there are 3 "MDRs" on Getaway...but you are not assigned to any? For breakfast...what are the options outside of the buffet?

Besides dining, I'm guessing most of the other aspects of the cruise will prove to be more similar to the other lines than different. Is that assumption correct? Hoping some of you who are familiar with NCL and the other lines can provide a high-level rundown of the major differences.

Freestyle Cruising. You can eat when you want, where you want. No reservations are needed for the main dining rooms. The Tropicana Room (Aft) is designed similar to a dinner club with live music and an occasional performance by the Burn the Floor cast.

If you want to go to one of the fee-for-service specialty dining rooms, you need to make a reservation. Reservations open 90 days prior to cruise. Prime time dining will sell out. They hold tables for on-board bookings, but you need to book on embarkation day if you want to eat at prime time. Cagney's steak house and the teppanyaki Japanese steak house are the most popular and will sell out during prime time every night.

O'Shehans is a 24 hour dining room for served meals. Designed as an English pub, it is open the the atrium below where there is live music every night.

The buffet on the Getaway is large and serves a wide range of international foods. It opens for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late snacks. It is not open 24 hours a day.

Seated breakfast is served in O'Shehans, Taste/Savor MDR, and the buffet. Lots of food either seated or serve yourself.

There are two Broadway shows, Burn the Floor, and Million Dollar quartet. Book seats online 90 days before cruise or onboard. Each show preforms two shows on two nights. Other non-reservations shows are in the main theater on the other three nights.

There are comedy shows (you can reserve one) in the Headliners club. Standby for any show is also available. Early shows are family oriented. Late shows are adult oriented.

Lots of entertainment all over the ship every night. During the day, enjoy the ropes course and the water slides.

Having taken my 8th and 9th cruise this year, both Norwegian for the first time I didn't notice too many differences.

The biggest one for me was having to have reservations for everything. Even the comedy shows you have to reserve and most were 'sold out' on board so we ended up in the standby line waiting 20-30mins and not everyone got in most nights so the wait was required vs reserving and walking right in 5 mins before the show.

As for reservations for dinner we usually only had a 2-5 minute wait at the MDR but we were a group of 2.

The other thing we noticed was the fee for room service. Not that it is a big deal, they have a 24hr restaurant with a decent menu that you can bring back to your rooom and our room was not far away so we'd go back and eat on our balcony :)