Sushi on Five

woody14h

With the advent of the new Sushi on Five, does anyone know if Celebrity still has the sushi bar in the Oceanview restaurant in the evening? This was always a treat. Hate to think it is another reduction.

I used to really like the Bistro on 5. I will never eat at this new one. The prices are ridiculous. Yes the sushi at the Oceanview was quite good - at least on my Constellation TA recently. I will be on the Summit in 3 weeks and will find out the answer to your question firsthand. It's the first Summit cruise with the new Sushi on 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to say that the free Sushi in the buffet seems to have been eliminated on the ships that have Sushi on 5. :(

We also liked to stop by there to get some to take back to the cabin with a glass of wine to enjoy on the balcony before dinner. :(

With the advent of the new Sushi on Five, does anyone know if Celebrity still has the sushi bar in the Oceanview restaurant in the evening? This was always a treat. Hate to think it is another reduction.

My understanding is that X has done away with the free sushi in the Oceanview. Sushi on 5 does have smaller plates, I believe, and while you have to pay for it I understand the quality is much better. The free sushi in the Oceanview really was mediocre. The rice was not really sushi rice (just leftover from dinner) and the selections were pretty poor and tasteless. Personally I am willing to pay for better quality. We are in a Suite and I understand with the Unlimited Dining Package So5 is included. That may be an option for you too.

Not sure of the reason the OP considers this 'a reduction', just a change. Possibly for the better.

They can take a survey while sailing or take a head count during the day to figure out how good or not so good So5.

Based on previous posts here, it appears that So5 is very good. From my personal experience, Bo5 was not very appealing and nothing was readily available for me, save salad. Which was fine and I never complained, just found other venues which were more to my liking and catering.

Bo5 had met its' life expectation and it was time for X to move forward with something new and different as was seen during my last cruise with it on Silly. Day 1 - very crowded, Day 2+ not at all, I would advance on a good day, maybe 100 people on a ship which carries upwards of 2,100, not worth keeping open and to be of value but to a very very few.

At any rate, each to their own culinary palate, value priced or no additonal charge or ??? At least it is available for those who truly enjoy sushi.

bon voyage

Not sure of the reason the OP considers this 'a reduction', just a change. Possibly for the better.

They can take a survey while sailing or take a head count during the day to figure out how good or not so good So5.

Based on previous posts here, it appears that So5 is very good. From my personal experience, Bo5 was not very appealing and nothing was readily available for me, save salad. Which was fine and I never complained, just found other venues which were more to my liking and catering.

Bo5 had met its' life expectation and it was time for X to move forward with something new and different as was seen during my last cruise with it on Silly. Day 1 - very crowded, Day 2+ not at all, I would advance on a good day, maybe 100 people on a ship which carries upwards of 2,100, not worth keeping open and to be of value but to a very very few.

At any rate, each to their own culinary palate, value priced or no additonal charge or ??? At least it is available for those who truly enjoy sushi.

bon voyage

Having spent time in Tokyo and living in NYC for 35 years, I do have a sense of quality. I never said it was quality but the fact that you could drop in before dinner for a drink and a piece or two was very convenient. For my quality fixes I would patronize restaurants known for fresh products. By reduction, I meant substituting a free perk with a pay to go one.

Having spent time in Tokyo and living in NYC for 35 years, I do have a sense of quality. I never said it was quality but the fact that you could drop in before dinner for a drink and a piece or two was very convenient. For my quality fixes I would patronize restaurants known for fresh products. By reduction, I meant substituting a free perk with a pay to go one.

On a recent Equinox cruise now that I think of it I don't recall there being Sushi in the Oceanview. We went to Sushi on 5 for dinner, spent $60 and left hungry. We had our 17 yo son with us and the boy can eat but in a local nearby Sushi place $60 would get you a lot of food, and just as good.

I'm with you, this is a little bit of nickle and diming by Celebrity. They serve steaks in Murano and Tuscan Grill and you can still get steak in the MDR and Oceanview, why stop offering Sushi?

I fully agree with talk regarding the perk. I also live very close to great sushi and I think know quality.

That's exactly what I would do - get a few pieces at the cafe as a pre dinner ritual. The Constellation's spread was much more diverse and better quality than the Silhouette was a few months before. I will miss this.

Were you there when the sushi was made? rolls eyes

My understanding is that X has done away with the free sushi in the Oceanview. Sushi on 5 does have smaller plates, I believe, and while you have to pay for it I understand the quality is much better. The free sushi in the Oceanview really was mediocre. The rice was not really sushi rice (just leftover from dinner) and the selections were pretty poor and tasteless. Personally I am willing to pay for better quality. We are in a Suite and I understand with the Unlimited Dining Package So5 is included. That may be an option for you too.

w1 - I do apologize for 'over' thinking your 'comments'. Instead it sounds like you may want to consider another type of 'finger food' before dinner with your cocktail since the 'free perk' has been taken away.

bon voyage

On the constellation everything was made in full view of everyone.

t1 - was that OVC or So5? I believe the poster who asked was making reference to OVC sushi preparations.

On Silly, I do not recollect seeing the sushi made in OVC, I thought it was made in the kitchen and brought out.

bon voyage

t1 - was that OVC or So5? I believe the poster who asked was making reference to OVC sushi preparations.

On Silly, I do not recollect seeing the sushi made in OVC, I thought it was made in the kitchen and brought out.

bon voyage

On the Eclipse in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet ) the sushi was made in full view of everyone.

Usually by an Asian chef in a white coat.

It was a nice touch.

And, as far as that "finger food" to take back to the cabin - reports are that the sushi has been replaced by pasta. Not exactly what I want with my wine. :(

Looks like I, for one, will have to get creative about finding some nicer cheeses around the ship to take back.

(Two years ago Cellar Masters had a nice pre-dinner spread but that was gone last year. :( )

bon voyage

Most definitely the OVC. It surprised me as my silhouette cruise a few months before it was made in the back and brought out and was nowhere near as good. All the sushi on the Constellation was prepared in front of everyone.

On the Eclipse in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet ) the sushi was made in full view of everyone.

Usually by an Asian chef in a white coat.

It was a nice touch.

And, as far as that "finger food" to take back to the cabin - reports are that the sushi has been replaced by pasta. Not exactly what I want with my wine. :(

Looks like I, for one, will have to get creative about finding some nicer cheeses around the ship to take back.

(Two years ago Cellar Masters had a nice pre-dinner spread but that was gone last year. :( )

Might there be some 'nibbles' on the room service menu which you can order in advance that would work?

If you order for a 5.30p delivery knowing that you will be in cabin by 5p to start to get ready for the evening.

Just a thought.

bon voyage

Might there be some 'nibbles' on the room service menu which you can order in advance that would work?

If you order for a 5.30p delivery knowing that you will be in cabin by 5p to start to get ready for the evening.

Just a thought.

bon voyage

Thanks for the idea.

Getting enough to eat has never been a problem for me on cruises.;) :p

(Although my husband, who eats like you I think (Esselstyn diet?) actually DOES sometimes have trouble getting dinners)

It's just the slow loss of some of the included niceties that is sad. :(

Edited by chamima

Thanks for the idea.

Getting enough to eat has never been a problem for me on cruises

(Although my husband, who eats like you I think (Esselstyn diet?) actually DOES sometimes have trouble getting dinners)

It's just the slow loss of some of the included niceties that is sad. :(

c - I follow McDougall and Esselstyn and usually have no challenges with eating while aboard... actually, I find it too easy LOL... I Am a low fat vegan, I do let them know to saute my food in water or vegetable broth if they have it and use lots and lots of herbs for flavouring and a little more garlic or onions to help out.. ;-)

Speak to the Maitre d's upon embarkation as I have found everyone in the eating venues (bars too for all that matters LOL) to be very accommodating in the food arena. Are they proactively creative? No, but with a little prompting they do figure things out too..

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

.... may only be a 'short term' removal, if enough people request some form of it on the buffet, I do believe they would eventually come up with a compromise solution for this.

Was sushi ever on the room service menu? I do not recollect.

bon voyage

.... may only be a 'short term' removal, if enough people request some form of it on the buffet, I do believe they would eventually come up with a compromise solution for this.

bon voyage

Sushi has never been on any room service menu I have ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

bon voyage

the sushi was decent in the buffet, but nothing great. Really didn't have a lot of flavor to it, but that was to be expected since it was just part of the included buffet. What I'm seeing of Sushi on Five menu looks like it's on par with a good sushi restaurant. The reviews of Sushi on Five here on CC seem to back that up. I'm seeing reviews with people eating there 2-4 times on a single cruise.