please explain guarantee cabins, please

happy traveler69

I am booked on the sunshine through a TA. I have a balcony and I have not yet been assigned a cabin. how do they choose which cabin I'll get? what happens if there are no more balconies available ? what happens if there are ocean is available at all? cruise is coming up late October and I'm anxious. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're guaranteed a balcony at a minimum. Could be an obstructed view balcony, could be a regular balcony, could be an aft with extended balcony.

IF all balconies are booked (ain't happening) but you could get a suite.

You may not be assigned until you get to the ship. (Worse case)

Again, you're not getting a suite

Edited by klfrodo

What guarantee cabin means to me is that if you booked a balcony guarantee, then at some point before your cruise, (probably around the final payment date, but maybe not) they will assign you a cabin.

Buying a balcony guarantee means that you paid for any balcony cabin they have available.

So you may get exactly what you paid for or there is a chance that you may get a cabin that is much better than you paid for.

You may get the least desirable balcony or you could get a fabulous balcony.

But you will get a balcony if you booked a balcony guarantee.

I am booked on the sunshine through a TA. I have a balcony and I have not yet been assigned a cabin. how do they choose which cabin I'll get? what happens if there are no more balconies available ? what happens if there are ocean is available at all? cruise is coming up late October and I'm anxious. thanks

You get a balcony or better.

I've had allocations as late as at check in.

You WILL get a cabin, at least a balcony, maybe better. Most likely a balcony.

How they choose it.... no idea

You don't have to worry on being downgraded. It is called guarantee since they are bound to provide you with a balcony.

The worst case is a not-so-good location, but hopefully the next upper cabin category.

Once asked my TA exactly how Guaranty was handled. She said basically once the number of balconies is reached either chosen or guarantee sales shut down for balconies. At that point they begin doling them out. They begin with lowest category and work their way up. So if you have bottom category and there are 6 couples who chose that category and only 5 rooms one couple is getting upgraded. Here is the thing, it appears this may be where upselling starts and Carnival sending out the letters. In the end quite possible someone gets something extra.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason how they assign them, return cruisers could get a good room or a bad room, new cruisers could get a good room or a bad room. It's all random.

When you do a guarantee just be happy with the worst possible room for the level you booked. Then whatever you get will be ok. Hopefully you will get something better but if not you are prepared.

got it... how long does someone have to respond to a call or letter regarding an upsell? could I get a all/letter for this?

this waiting is excruciating!!

thanks for the replies!!

You misunderstand.

A guarantee isn't going to get an up sell call.

Someone who selected a balcony will be offered an upgrade to make cabins available to the "Guarantee" folks

It will be a rare instance for there to be a situation where 'no other balconies are available'. They know exactly how many cabins are available at all times and how many of those are either individually selected or needed to fill the GTY rates.

There are times you will get lucky, it happened to me in the past on NCL, but never plan for it.

When picking your cabin, do they give better balcony to a past guest?

I don't believe so. I say that because the one and only time we booked a guaranty, which was because we booked later than usual and the cabins we would normally choose were already booked, we got a terrible cabin. It was across the hall from the steward's pantry which was noisy every morning and under the Lido kitchen so we heard carts rolling all night long. My husband and I were Platinum at the time and near being Diamond.

I think Carnival does the assignment randomly. I really thought they were going to assign us our cabin and we wouldn't know what it was until we boarded, but we did find out 2 days before the cruise.

We've gone the balcony guarantee route four times now and have been assigned acceptable to good locations three of the four times. On our upcoming cruise we were assigned a balcony cabin on Panorama deck, slightly forward, no obstruction, cabins above us. It is near the elevators, which some don't like, but we try to get near elevators even when we choose our location, so we are pleased with our assignment. We've never experienced a noise problem when doing so. As for timing of assignment, in all four instances we have purchased a balcony guarantee, our rooms were assigned no later than one month before sailing. Not saying that will always be the case, but based on our experiences I have to assume not being assigned until the day of the cruise is uncommon.

Last time we used balcony guarantee to save some money. We got cabin assignment about a month before departure. Could not have picked one better myself. Was high up on 8th floor close to lido and other activities. Was under workout/weight room and only heard noise when some moron would drop weights from waist level. But that was rare as workouts on cruise ships are even more rare😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app