Airport to Manhattan

oceansandseas

-

Have done research but can not find answer. Flying from Toronto to New York to cruise on Queen Mary 2. We will arrive a day early. Was in New York in 1970, so do not know much about it.

I have heard that there is a "train" from EWR to Manhattan. The train takes you to Penn Station (the one in New York and I guess there is also one in NJ). I have gone to the EWR home site and can not really understand it. They talk about NJTransit and there seems to be 2 different trains. I believe it would be more economical to take the train to Penn station. Anyone know if there a discount for Seniors?

Would appreciate anyone who has done this recently to please explain how to do this. Thanks in advance.

I will order a car service to take us from the hotel to the cruise port. Does anyone know approximately how long it would take to drive from a hotel near Times Square to Red Hook?

On our return to New York, does anyone know if it would be better to take the cruise line transfer (do not know the cost at this time) from Red Hook to EWR, a car service or a taxi.

Thanks for any help

-

-

Have done research but can not find answer. Flying from Toronto to New York to cruise on Queen Mary 2. We will arrive a day early. Was in New York in 1970, so do not know much about it.

I have heard that there is a "train" from EWR to Manhattan. The train takes you to Penn Station (the one in New York and I guess there is also one in NJ). I have gone to the EWR home site and can not really understand it. They talk about NJTransit and there seems to be 2 different trains. I believe it would be more economical to take the train to Penn station. Anyone know if there a discount for Seniors?

Would appreciate anyone who has done this recently to please explain how to do this. Thanks in advance.

I will order a car service to take us from the hotel to the cruise port. Does anyone know approximately how long it would take to drive from a hotel near Times Square to Red Hook?

On our return to New York, does anyone know if it would be better to take the cruise line transfer (do not know the cost at this time) from Red Hook to EWR, a car service or a taxi.

Thanks for any help

-

Where exactly are you staying in Manhattan?

There are two public transit options to go directly to midtown Manhattan from Newark Airport. Both offer senior fares for age 62+.

1). NJ Transit train from Newark Airport station to New York Penn Station - senior fare is $9. From baggage claim on the lowest level you take the elevator in escalator to the free Airtrain on the most upper level and you ride to the Newark Liberty Airport station. You buy a ticket from the machine and take a NJ transit train to New York Penn Station. Amtrak trains also stop at this train station, but your ticket is not valid on them. From New York Penn Station you would take a cab to your hotel.

2). The Newark Airport bus is an express bus to New York with undercarriage luggage storage. Senior fare is $9 payable on the bus. The bus stops at every terminal. If you are staying in the Times Square area, this option could get you closer to your hotel.

On the trip to Newark Liberty International Airport, customers may board a Newark Airport Express coach at three convenient mid-town Manhattan locations:

Grand Central Station (41st Street between Park & Lexington Avenues)

Bryant Park (42nd Street & 5th Avenue)

Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street between 8th and 9th Avenues)

At Newark Liberty Airport coaches may be boarded at:

Terminal A (Outside Arrival Level, Lane 5)

Terminal B (Located outside the arrival level, lane 2)

Terminal C (Located outside the arrival level at bus stop 5 & 6)

DAILY HOURS OF SERVICE:

From Manhattan to Newark Airport 4:45 am - 1:45 am

From Newark Airport to Manhattan 4:00 am - 1:00 am

Above is good info re: NJTransit train to Penn Station in Manhattan - then a taxi to a Times Square hotel. You probably should allow 30 to 45 minutes to get from hotel to Red Hook - generally a weekday will take a bit longer than a weekend day.

Post cruise, a car service would probably be best bet for comfort/convenience, while being price competitive vs. cruise line transfer or medallion taxi.

-

I read in the newspaper today about the terrible accident on NJTransit. Will this affect the trains from EWR to Manhattan, or is it too soon to tell?

-

The train crash was in Hoboken, NJ, which is a major station for New Jersey commuter rail trains as well as PATH and NJ lights rail trains. However, it is NOT a station for the Amtrak Northeast Corridor trains and NJ Transit commuter trains that run between Newark Penn Station and New York Penn Station.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf