Where to scuba in southern Caribbean?

celoplyr

I'm going over Christmas on a southern Caribbean cruise with the parents (and possibly boyfriend, who is a scuba diver too).

I'm open water certified, but have only done 2 dives (easy 7m ones in Mauritius) beyond that.

We are going to St. Croix, St. John's Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, and Barbados.

I really want to go scuba everywhere I can (other than maybe Grenada and Barbados) and not on a cruise ship excursion.

Who would you talk to? And where would you go?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going over Christmas on a southern Caribbean cruise with the parents (and possibly boyfriend, who is a scuba diver too).

I'm open water certified, but have only done 2 dives (easy 7m ones in Mauritius) beyond that.

We are going to St. Croix, St. John's Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, and Barbados.

I really want to go scuba everywhere I can (other than maybe Grenada and Barbados) and not on a cruise ship excursion.

Who would you talk to? And where would you go?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to dive at least one port on every cruise I go on.

Never been to the ports you are asking about, but I had great luck in the Cayman's by just researching "dive operations near the cruise ship port" on the internet. I researched the available options on TripAdvisor for reviews. Hooked up with Eagle Rock Diving and had a great dive.

I already had contacts in Cozumel and Roatan, but would have followed the same method to find a suitable operator.

Good luck in your research, and safe diving!

I haven't dove (yet) in St. Croix. Every place else the diving is good. However Antigua it's more hassle than it's worth as the Diving is at English Harbor, some distance from teh port.

Of the other three, diving that will suit the newer diver well. Dominica, there's the Champagne reef, Grenada there's the Underwater Sculpture Park, and Barbados has Carlisle Bay Marine Park. If you can dive four of the five, I'd drop Grenada. Next I'd drop Grenada, Then St. Croix, if only one I'd dive Dominica.

Dominica: A.L.D.I.V.E (http://www.aldive.com). Samantha and Billy will take great care of you. Nice small boat/small group diving.

Barbados: West Side Scuba Centre (http://www.westsidescuba.com) Heather and Peter are excellent.

Both will include transport from the port.

I have dives booked at Grenada and St. Croix, but with operators I haven't used yet, so I don't have a strong recommendation in either port. In Grenada in the past I used EcoDive, and was NOT impressed.

Harris

Denver, CO

We dove with Aquanauts in Grenada and enjoyed the diving very much. They picked us up at the port and returned us to the ship. This was a couple years ago but we would use them again. St Croix was good, N2theBlue's shop is literally 1/2 block from the pier and are a great operator.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend Eco-Dive Grenada who are highly involved in the group that maintain and develop the Sculpture Park. It is a nice dive as there's a fairly shallow wreck, a nice reef and then ending in the much shallower sculpture park. As with all operators contact them well in advance to make sure where they are diving that day but since most folk want to dive the sculptures they should be a good bet :cool:

Dive Grenada is an awesome shop. Plus if your with non divers they have a great beach for them to hang out at while you are out. You have to dive the Sculpture park in Grenada it is fantastic. We dove Purple Rain and the Park with homemade cookies in between. Owner picked us up from the terminal and was a great mini history lesson on the way to Gran Anse beach. Super awesome crew.

St Croix I used SCUBA St Croix ultimate bluewater adventure. They were all set up at the end of the Cruise pier and dropped you back at the same spot. Very organized and really awesome group too. We dove Kayak and Aliens on that one.

I am also a newbie and all of these dives were very easy.

PS Dominica you have to do the river tubing its fantastic.