Liberty embarkation day, a couple of questions.

BugsyCruiser

Hello friends!

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked but I will be sailing on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston in just over a month and have a couple of questions:

1. What would be open on the ship for lunch on embarkation day?

2. I've heard that because the ship is sailing out of Texas there is limited drink service till the ship is at sea? I would appreciate it if someone could explain that to me as I'm rather confused on it.

Thanks so much! ☺

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They have to pay TX tax on any alcohol they have open and sell until 12 miles out, so there is a more limited selection of call brands available. Most booze is locked away until outside TX waters. Bar service is the same, just fewer choices. One positive for me was that they had Shiner Bock during sail away, which was a big hit on a TX ship. May have been a Texas tax benefit, but who knows. When it was gone, it was gone.

On embarkation your choices are Windjammer, Sorrentos, or Promenade café. Maybe I am missing one, but I think that's it.

Hello friends!

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked but I will be sailing on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston in just over a month and have a couple of questions:

1. What would be open on the ship for lunch on embarkation day?

2. I've heard that because the ship is sailing out of Texas there is limited drink service till the ship is at sea? I would appreciate it if someone could explain that to me as I'm rather confused on it.

Thanks so much! ☺

Windjammer and Promenade only. We liked Sorrentos. Pizza was edible, but the other offerings were very nice.

TX is anal and Only allows TX stamped booze. So until about 45-60 minutes after you get underway, the selection of alcohol is very limitlimited. No Jack Daniels, for instance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What would be open on the ship for lunch on embarkation day?

Windjammer, Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos

I've heard that because the ship is sailing out of Texas there is limited drink service till the ship is at sea?

The drinks have to be bottled in Texas. So this means not every beer is available. For example:You should be able to get a Bacardi but perhaps not your favorite "call" rum. People get really bent out of shape that they can't get their brand until we clear Texas waters. There is still plenty of booze available :) it just may not be your brand of choice. The bars will display the ones that are allowed since the others are locked up until we clear the port.

Windjammer, Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos

The drinks have to be bottled in Texas. So this means not every beer is available. For example:You should be able to get a Bacardi but perhaps not your favorite "call" rum. People get really bent out of shape that they can't get their brand until we clear Texas waters. There is still plenty of booze available :) it just may not be your brand of choice. The bars will display the ones that are allowed since the others are locked up until we clear the port.

So you'll still be able to get a mixed drink but it won't be made with your preferred brand till officially at sea. Got it ☺

Doesn't need to be bottled in texas, just the TABC tax (alcohol tax) has to be paid on anything they serve in Texas waters. They can only serve what is bought from the distributors that they pay the TABC tax to. Royal chooses to limit (can't blame them) what they serve until they are in international waters to save money on the taxes. You will also have to pay the state tax on any alcohol you buy and bring home (duty free alcohol is only duty free from national taxes, you still have to pay the state taxes).

Correct - unless your preferred brand is bottled in Texas. ;) Then you're a winner all the way around.

Is it 'bottled' in Texas, or just have a Texas tax stamp (like the ones they try to get everyone to pay at the table at disembarkation). I thought it was just the stamp, but maybe also a rule/exemption for TX product like Shiner beer.

Edited -

I see Rum & Monkey already covered this, so I'm beating that horse to death.

Edited by Doug S

Windjammer and Promenade only. We liked Sorrentos. Pizza was edible, but the other offerings were very nice.

TX is anal and Only allows TX stamped booze. So until about 45-60 minutes after you get underway, the selection of alcohol is very limitlimited. No Jack Daniels, for instance

DH is going to be very upset if he can't have his JD when he boards!

Is it 'bottled' in Texas, or just have a Texas tax stamp

to make it even more confusing, if it's bottled here, it has the Texas tax stamp. :D

Whatever it is - and we've been sailing from Galveston since 2001, the short answer is: Yes there is limited selection and yes there is still plenty to drink. Some people choose to have a conniption fit over their fave brand being delayed until around 5:30 or 6.

to make it even more confusing, if it's bottled here, it has the Texas tax stamp. :D

Whatever it is - and we've been sailing from Galveston since 2001, the short answer is: Yes there is limited selection and yes there is still plenty to drink. Some people choose to have a conniption fit over their fave brand being delayed until around 5:30 or 6.

People do make a bigger deal out of it than it deserves (says the guy who can still get his Tanqueray T&T at sail away)