NCL Sun or Pearl for Alaskan Cruise

Upper Deck Dad

Been trying to decide between these two ships. I like NCL because of the Free at Sea Promos they offer and the free style cruising.

Both go to all the same ports except the Pearl stops in Victoria. The timing for that port is 6pm to midnight, which isn't the best time frame. The Sun cruises the Inside Passage (the one on the North side of Vancouver Island), instead of stopping in Victoria or another port city. Both have Glacier Bay as one day on their itinerary.

The Pearl is r/t Seattle and the Sun is r/t Vancouver. I'm looking at September of 2017, as this is the only time I will be able to have off. Ships schedules are within a few weeks of each other. From Sept 3rd to Sept 18th and both are 7 days.

I know both Vancouver and Seattle are fabulous cities and I would be doing a day or so pre and post cruise. I have never been to either city.

For those that have done these itineraries before, any thoughts on what ship you prefer for an Alaskan cruise and what city is more interesting of the two to depart from.

Edited by Upper Deck Dad

Leaving out of Vancouver and sailing the inside passage is an advantage. The pearl and Jewel spent a lot of time at sea. Also more glacier watxhing on the sun Northbound.

So,,,, the best rooms are the forward facing balconies SE. We spend hours watching the scenery and the abundant sea life.

Seward is a long ways from the airport. One NCL train leaves the port in the wee hours of the morning. You could also book on your own in "coach" to anchorage on the public train.

I just returned from an Alaskan cruise on board the Pearl. The boat is easy to navigate and absolutely beautiful. The shows were great and there were always good things to do during the day. The staff were friendly and a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Alaska on the Pearl in September a few years ago. The highlight for us was Glacier Bay. Heads up: it can be very cold. Think winter hats and gloves. We prefer the Jewel class ships. They have more amenities, but are not gargantuan like the new megaships. If I were choosing, it would be the Pearl. No contest.