ATL/DTW/MSP connection help please

SCHappilyRetired

Hello all! I have a choice with DL. 1) MYR-ATL-MSP-FAI. 2)MYR-DTW-MSP-FAI

Option 1 is a 51 min layover in ATL and 2 hr 6 min in MSP. Option 2 is a 2 hr 20 min layover in DTW and 1 hr in MSP.

I have mobility challenges and order a wheelchair gate to gate and haven't had a problem with DL yet.

With everyone's experience I am looking to see whether to do the short layover in ATL or DTW? Just came through ATL a couple weeks ago but never DTW.

Thank you all for any help you can pass along!

Oops! ATL or MSP!!

Edited by SCHappilyRetired

Personally, a 51 minute layover in ATL is too short. DTW is an airport that I really like and find it easy to make connections. In my experience, MSP has the issue of the commuter type jets arriving/departing at gates that are quite some distance from where the larger planes arrive/depart. That said, I do not dislike MSP as long as there is an adequate connection time.

This is a tough one. Short connect times both ways. Much would depend on where your connections are within MSP.

At ATL, the connection is maxed at 1/2 of the concourse length, train ride, 1/2 concourse length. At MSP, you could run the length of several concourses AND have to cross over from one side of the airport to the other. While MSP has the moving walkways, I don't recall ever seeing wheelchairs on them, so the "pusher" has to go at regular speed over full distance (not shortened by the walkway). MSP has a cart fleet, but there is always the issue of getting a cart if there is demand, or if they are elsewhere in the airport.

The other consideration is what kind of reroute options would you have if you did miss your connection. Most likely, rather than non-stop into FAI, you would need to go through ANC and possibly SEA as well. Without having flight times at hand, I would offhand think you might have more reroute options through ATL than through MSP, even though MSP is closer to FAI. In any case, it's a long way.

Much of the commentary against ATL you find here on CC is that it is big. Yes, but it is also amazingly efficient with the parallel concourses and train. If you know how to negotiate ATL, it works fine.

Given all that....if it was me, I'd hold my nose and go with ATL as the "short connect" point (MYR-ATL-MSP-FAI). But it's about as close to a coin flip as possible.

One other thing going in favor of this is that you can have a nice meal at MSP before the long flight to FAI. Ike's and Mill City are both good - you can get more info on dining at MSP at THIS LINK, which also includes menus.

Since you are probably going for a pre-cruise land tour next summer there is a fairly good chance your flight times might change. For that reason I'd stick with the Atlanta connection. While the connection time is chancy now it could really work in your favor with just a few minutes "adjustment." We've had great luck with Delta phone agents. One way to put you in a better position is to request the wheelchair assistance when you book and it will be in your record which the phone agent can clearly see.

Your position on the plane could also be to your advantage.

Hope you get everything worked out and monitor your reservation from time to time. The schedule changes usually occur on Saturdays.

FlyerTalker and alcpa1, thank you! I did my homework and have a flight ATL-MSP if I miss my connection in ATL that will get me to MSP to make my next connection. If I miss the MSP connection, I have a flight that will get me to FAI, just at midnight instead of 8:10 pm. Yes, this is pre cruise tour and we are flying in 2 days before we pick up our land portion.

DL was excellent with providing a wheelchair at ATL this past month so I will hope for the best. Yes, there is plenty of time for things to change so it will be Luck of the Irish or Murphy's law! Thank you once again for your valuable, unlimited knowledge.

Thank you once again for your valuable, unlimited knowledge.
You are quite welcome. I hope you got some insight into at least my thought process for these kinds of issues.

As for unlimited knowledge, Mrs FT might disagree with you. What's the old saying - "Genius has its bounds, but stupidity is limitless".