Travel without passport

It takes 6 to 8 weeks and I would not trust that..Tomorrow is Oct :eek:

Her passport should be over nighted for both vacations. It may not arrive in time for Nov. to the UK and if there is an emergency on her cruise, she needs a valid passport not expiring for six months out.

Just pay the extra money and play it safe.

Get with the program!

There is no requirement for this person to cruise with a passport and even if she had one, it could expire the day she got home.

I pretty sure the OP said she is sending in her passport so she can go on the international trip, which leaves her without a passport for the cruise. Therefore, she can use her BC and a DL and she will be fine for the cruise.

You do not need the passport to be valid for 6 months to enter into the USA if you are a USA citizen. That rule is made by many countries, because a person can stay up to 6 months without getting a visa. Therefore, if you passport expires before 6 months, those countries are not very happy.

Overnighting it, does not speed up the process much. All it does is saves a day or two.

She is not concerned about emergencies, just getting on the ship. I'm sure if an emergency were to happen, she could still enter the USA, with some annoying hassles. The USA does not prevent USA citizens from coming back home. They just make you go through additional checks.

For the poster, it will be fine with the BC and DL.

This...Thank you! And thank you all for the information and hearsay lol! My friends daughter ended up getting an internship last minute in London so this isn't s normal situation. She was planning on renewing when we get back from our cruise. She is going to renew and expedite shipping when we get back. Thank you all😃

You are correct that she does not need a passport in a closed loop cruise, but if one IS used it must not expire until six months out.

This is just so not true.

Unlike what someone said, you don't have to send your BC in with the renewal form.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

Current wait times:

Routine 4-6 weeks

Expedited 2-3 Weeks

And there are ways to get the expedited faster, by sending it to them faster and getting it back faster.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/expedited.html

I personally would do what the friend is doing. Use it for the cruise then send it in normal expedited. DH once did the priority mail thing both ways, but that was for work (after DH had run his passport through the washer and dryer and it destroyed it) and work paid for the expediting fees. And I would have them do the 52 page book just for fun (and in hopes that I would use those pages. :)

Concerning my passport responses from yesterday....

I talked to the passport office and was told that if we cruise a lot we need a passport that is good for 6 months after the cruise. That comment came from the horses mouth and I never questioned it. If I was given wrong information by the Government, I don't know, I only posted what I was told by the official.

Thank you

I talked to the passport office and was told that if we cruise a lot we need a passport that is good for 6 months after the cruise. That comment came from the horses mouth and I never questioned it. If I was given wrong information by the Government, I don't know, I only posted what I was told by the official.

Thank you

Define 'A Lot'.... Two a year? Three a year? Ten a year?

It does not matter how many times per year. If you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise, you do not need one even if you take 50 cruises a year. It might make it easier and faster, but it is not needed. Therefore it does not matter how many days it is valid for either as long as it is valid until the end of the cruise.

Thank you

The passport office has little to no knowledge of policies and requirements set by Homeland Security and/or CPB and ICE for closed loop cruises. Ask someone there what the WHTI is....huh?

They do what they do and the do it well, but you have to talk to the right Office to get the correct answer.

In a perfect world all government offices would have the same (correct) answers, but it's not a perfect world.

Edited by thinfool

Define 'A Lot'.... Two a year? Three a year? Ten a year?

It does not matter how many times per year. If you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise, you do not need one even if you take 50 cruises a year. It might make it easier and faster, but it is not needed. Therefore it does not matter how many days it is valid for either as long as it is valid until the end of the cruise.

Sounds like you also work for the Government.

BTW, we cruise as often as we can, and many are not closed loop. We did a 7 week B2B2B from LA around the Horn to NYC with many stops in Brazil which could have been correct in our situation. We also needed a Visa.

I'm just reporting what I was told by the passport office. Don't kill the messenger.