Curious - anyone cruise during TS / potential hurricane - what did RCI do?

4spring

I'm leaving Sunday on Allure, and am watching the weather reports, but I know Royal will try to keep the ships, crew and passengers safe. Our ports are supposed to be Labadee and Falmouth, which are in direct line for Hurricane Matthew, and Cozumel. Lots of speculating going on, but until tomorrow or Sunday, we probably won't know where we'll be cruising.

My only other cruise on Allure was four years ago in August.....Hurricane Isaac closed Port Everglades for two days....no ships in or out, so our cruise was shortened to five days, while those onboard had a nine night cruise, instead of both being seven nights. Royal notified us and paid for hotels and food along with giving us OBC and certificates for $off future cruises.

In August, we were in Freedom, scheduled to go to Coco Cay, St Thomas and St Maarten. Captain decided to take us to Coco Cay, Cozumel and Costa Maya to avoid rainy weather.

Years ago, we cruised from Bayonne, NJ for a Bermuda cruise, but Hurricane Gert changed that itinerary to Port Canaveral and Nassau.

Is this your Pinnacle cruise? I hope it's another week!

As to the rude comment about me being a "jerk" was made above here, I will first thank you, Snit13, for agreeing with me and my comments.

For some of the rest. Plug your brains in, and stop asking dumb, repetitive, useless questions during hurricane season.

Who cares what RCCL did "then", it's all about the hurricane "now" and, I can assure you that it will be coming closer to my home in south Florida than it will to your cruise ship. I'm not worried about it, but why are so many others?

You know, we have a search function at these forums. :cool:

Ah! Hurricane season at these forums; ya' gotta love it!:D

Obviously the OP cares or they would not have asked the question. You are unbelievably rude. Why don't you plug your brain in and skip over threads to which you cannot make a meaningful contribution? The content of the thread was obvious from its title; if you have nothing to add, keep it moving. No need to make comments like "dumb, repetitive, useless questions." I feel sorry for you and would hate to have to live in your skin. It must be hard going through life being so judgmental.

I have to note that the OP was most gracious in their response to you. I certainly would not have been.

Is this your Pinnacle cruise? I hope it's another week!

Hi, Karen. No, this is just the first of five weeks of cruising toward the final result.(just home Sunday from three weeks solo on Liberty.) John and I will be on Navigator December 9 for our Pinnacle cruise. I'm solo on these others.:)

Cruise Critickers the Captain will take care of all of you. Don't worry. Your job is to have a great cruise, if you get a little bad weather, enjoy it. As a Tin Can Sailor, we enjoyed a rocky ride, sorta like a roller coaster and it's free! You do not have to book one of the mega ships to enjoy the ride and no cruise line has a roller coaster yet! So it's a free experience. Mother Nature at her best.

And please, do not run to Guest Services and ask for freebies, OBC, credits or bottles of wine. This is Mother Nature at work.

I agree, I actually love the rocking of the boat and I love roller coasters! My fear or disappointment would be if the ship couldn't dock or leave port and vacation would be cut short. We leave Fort Lauderdale on the 9th, Hope it has all moved out by then, and I hope next week's cruise is fun for all one way or another.

I agree, I actually love the rocking of the boat and I love roller coasters! My fear or disappointment would be if the ship couldn't dock or leave port and vacation would be cut short. We leave Fort Lauderdale on the 9th, Hope it has all moved out by then, and I hope next week's cruise is fun for all one way or another.

I'm onboard Allure now and will dock in Ft Lauderdale Sunday. Our itinerary changed, and so far, we have had beautiful weather! Hoping the storm doesn't affect Port Everglades or Port Canaveral Sunday. They closed Port Canaveral today at noon until Saturday and will close Miami port tomorrow and reopen Friday. Empress is being affected with one night longer cruise this week and one night shorter leaving Friday.

Storms happen....captains do everything they can to keep the ship, crew and passengers safe.

I'm onboard Allure now and will dock in Ft Lauderdale Sunday. Our itinerary changed, and so far, we have had beautiful weather! Hoping the storm doesn't affect Port Everglades or Port Canaveral Sunday. They closed Port Canaveral today at noon until Saturday and will close Miami port tomorrow and reopen Friday. Empress is being affected with one night longer cruise this week and one night shorter leaving Friday.

Storms happen....captains do everything they can to keep the ship, crew and passengers safe.

Majesty is getting an extra day as well. 3 day on Friday is now a 2 day. There is OBC and FCC being given to those folks. :D

Majesty is getting an extra day as well. 3 day on Friday is now a 2 day. There is OBC and FCC being given to those folks. :D

Saw weather forecast and predictions for all of Florida. Are y'all evacuating? Keep mobile phones on Sunday. Think I still have both numbers in my phone. :eek:

First hand report here from Superstorm Sandy.

We got out of Bayonne just ahead of the storm on Explorer, Captain thought to go straight south and under the storm to Bermuda, but winds were unexpectedly stronger and storm moved slower than expected. We were pushed by 160 MPH winds in 40+ seas. Very rocky, windows broke in the Windjammer and it was closed, dinning room tables sliding across floor but when it became unsafe to cook the kitchens closed and we were fed cold cut sandwiches on day2 . I think the worst part was many balcony doors leaked and on deck 7 we had water flowing through the rooms into the hallways. Mine was dry but the carpet outside my room was soaked, and after a few days smelled terrible.

But, we were all safe, if not a little green, and no compensation was given at all.

Sailing in 3 days to the Bahamas & starting to wonder what cruiselines generally do when there is a TS or hurricane anticipated. Anyone cruise under those circumstances before?

Are you on Majesty of the Seas out of Port Canaveral? If so, it is not leaving until Saturday because the Port is closed. Passengers will be credited with 1 day cruise fare and will receive a voucher discount on a future cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

There is also the possibility the port will not reopen for several days if Matthew makes landfall south of the port as one of the models currently predicts.

Edited by temple1

We were booked to sail on Enchantment when Hurricane Wilma happened. Mexico and Florida were hit hard! The Enchantment cruise was cancelled. Enchantment along with at least one other ship (from Carnival) were sent to Mexico to evacuate injured Americans from Mexico... they needed beds to travel and airports were closed.

We were already in Florida at that time so we were reassigned to the Majesty for a shorter cruise. We got reimbursed for the difference in cruise length. The Majesty was not anywhere near full since many passengers could not get flights into Florida. It was a great cruise!

This year in August, we were on Celebrity in Bermuda. We were scheduled to leave Bermuda at 3:30pm on Friday but the Captain decided to leave at 7am on Friday. We were notified on Thursday on the change in schedule. The Captain wanted to get ahead of the storm and back to Bayonne. We arrived in Bayonne at 10pm at night but were not allowed to disembark until Sunday am since Immigration officials were not at the port on Sat eve.

Norwegian Breakaway also left Bermuda early on Friday for the same reasons.

A few years ago, Carnival had a ship that stayed in the Chesapeake Bay for the week...they were sheltered from the storm but still "at sea". Prior to leaving Baltimore, passengers were given the option to leave and get a refund or stay on board.

They do whatever is necessary to keep the ship, passengers and crew out of harms way!

Because people do not know where Cruise Critic News is and as members, we should be nice and answer questions over and over. But, in his defense, it can get frustrating.

Thank you I learned something from this post. I stumbled across the message boards trying to learn more. I think some people have been on CC so long that they forget some people are not as familiar with the site.

Thanks

Thank you I learned something from this post. I stumbled across the message boards trying to learn more. I think some people have been on CC so long that they forget some people are not as familiar with the site.

Thanks

Thanks Kearney...........very nice of you! :)