Tips for enjoying Sapphire Princess....

merela

I had wanted to post a review of our cruise, but since I'm also typing up the kids' patters as well, I thought I would wait on the review and post little tidbits of what I think would be fun for people going on future sailings of the Sapphire Princess to the Mexican Riviera.

Since I'm running in and out of the house today, I will post things I remember and others can add to it.

1. We arrived at the embarkation terminal at 11:30am. My in-laws dropped us off right outside the baggage conveyor belt, so we thought we would just load the bags onto the conveyor belt ourselves. We weren't allowed to do that. The guy guarding the entrance said we need to get a porter to do that. So we did. So when you see a blue-jacket porter when you unload your bags from the car, get him to take your bags right away so you can go straight to the check-in area.

2. We went through the check-in process quickly. Not much of a line. Maybe another couple was ahead of us checking in at the Emerald Deck line. But then as we entered the terminal waiting area, we were handed a number. We had #5. My parents (Elite members) weren't given a number. They were told they can board anytime. Later on we found out that Elite, Platinum and handicapped cruisers get to board first. However that line wasn't very clearly marked. Essentially, the handicapped cruisers get to board first and the Elite and Platinum members had to wait in line. My parents got on board around 12:30pm.

3. Well, I should have brought something for my kids to snack on while we waited at the terminal. I underestimated the time we would be waiting to get on board. Luckily, there were some vending machines and got DD an ice cream cone ($1.25) and a small tube of Pringles chips ($1.25) for DS. So if you have kids, bring some food and drinks for them to munch on if you expect to wait past noon.

4. Check out the first day patters as soon as you get on board. They give out lots of Freebies on the first day. My father disappeared after lunch at the buffet (He got on board before us because he has an Elite card) and didn't show up again until after the Muster Drill. He told me that he wanted to go for a tour of the Sapphire Princess but stumbled onto "What's in Store" 3pm --a tour of the ship's various departments. They were handing out raffle tickets. He said maybe 25 people were at this "What's in Store" tour and many people won prizes like golf clubs, etc.... He didn't win. He said we should have gone as we would have increased our chances of winning. Well, now you know!

5. If you don't have a video camera and would like something to take home, take advantage of the Princess' reflection video. Go to the following events and seek out the videographer:

Sailaway

Cocktail Demonstration

Captain's Cocktail (before 1st formal night)

50's Night Dance Party

Ice Carving

Pool games

Tropical Deck party

Champagne waterfall

Princess port excursions (they'll tell you which one at each port of call).

You can preview the video on Ch. 22 every night in your stateroom. I knew we were filmed at the champagne waterfall, but I didn't see it on ch. 22. I assumed the photographers were too busy selling photos to add the new footage to the video.

6. Bring outfits for 50's night dance party and the tropical deck party. Tropical shirts are selling for $29.99 each at the Princess boutique, but if you have one at home. Bring it.

7. Go to the Cooking demonstration on the last sea day. One person will win the Princess cook book. I think the maitre d'hotel mark an asterick in one of the programs they hand out as you enter the Princess Theatre.

What time did you get on board?

According to the embarkation photos taken before we boarded the ship, it must have been just before 1pm or around 1pm because our Embarkation photo was found in the 12-1pm Embarkation section. So I think we were in our room around 1:15pm and at the Buffet by 1:30pm.

What were the freebies the first day?

Sorry, I gave the wrong impression that there were freebies given out on the first day. What I meant was that you can have many chances to WIN a freebie if you go to the What's In Store tour at 3pm.

There is also a FREE Massage Giveaway at 6pm in the Lotus Spa on Deck 15.

Usually, people don't pay much attention to the First-day patter, so you have a better chance of winning a freebie.

Of course, if you have children over 3, remember to sign up at the kids' club even if your child doesn't want to go. You can get a nice free T-shirt for your child by signing up.

8. Go to the Library (5F atrium/midship) as soon as you board the ship and get books and/or games so you can read/play during your cruise. There is a wide selection of interesting books for casual reading. Unfortunately, there weren't any children's books at all on the Sapphire (The Diamond had a big selection of children's books in its library). They had Taboo game (no battery though), Dominos, Trivia Pursuit, and a mahjong set (not sure where you can play that!).

9. While you are at the library, get the brain teasers on the desk by the window. There are little golf pencils you can use if you can't find anything to write with. The solution to these brain teasers are usually available the next morning. Give it a try. I think they are fun.

10. If you have children, ask the waiters to give you kids' menu. There are activities (like word scrambles) on the back of the kids' menu that will provide a good 10 minutes of "fun" for the kids so you can read the adult menu in peace. Of course, they don't provide pencils or crayons. Just go out to the library (5F midship/atrium) and get those golf pencils on the desk.

11. Free drinks. Go to the martini and margarita madness demonstration on the first sea day at 12:15pm (Neptunes Reef & pool, deck 14). If you are lucky enough to be picked by Claire, the drink is yours after you "perform" with the crew.

12. Opportunities for Free alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks: (1) Champagne Art auction (2:30pm first sea day). Free cheap champagne. I didn't think it was good champagne, but it has alcohol in it and it was free. You need to sit in the Explorer's Lounge to get a free glass. They will refill throughout the auction talk; (2) Captain's Welcome Abroad Cocktail party right before your 1st formal night dinner. So get dressed quickly and show up at the Atrium promptly at 5:15pm (early seating) and/or at 7:30pm (late seating) for 30 minutes of free cocktails; (3) If you are Captain's Circle Members, you will get invited to another cocktail party before the 2nd formal night. If you have traditional first seating, you'll party invitation will likely say 5:15pm. If you have 2nd seating or PC dining, your party invitation will say 7:30pm. Show up promptly at the time stated as there will be a line up outside Club Fusion (7F, AFT) to get into the party.

By the way, along with the Captain's Circle cocktail party invitation, there will be a raffle ticket. Fill it out. We got 2 tickets, but my parents only got one. After they introduced and awarded the top 3 cruisers, they will do a raffle. Pay attention. My dad won a bottle of Korbel Champagne. We were chatting so we weren't paying attention to the annoucement of the drawing winners. We heard our cabin number called out, but it just didn't register. It was a good thing DH heard it and prompted my dad to go up and claim his prize.

13. Opportunities to win Princess medals: Golf putting and chipping tournaments and Paddle tennis competitions. I'm sure there are more medal winning opportunities, check your patters.

14. At all shopping and gemstone talks, they will be giving out free stuff, but not to everyone. But by being there, you'll get a chance to win it.

15. I thoroughly enjoyed the Special Interest Lecture on art by Art Historian Virginia Mettile (1st lecture was on the 1st sea day at 3pm). I'm not sure whether she gives talk at every sailing or just our sailing. If you are interested in Mexican art, this is a must-go lecture.

16. I thought the two Princess musicals were superbly performed by this group of Princess dancers and the 4 lead singers: Jason Blagec, Liz Piazza, Shannon Pringle, and Roger Stephenson. You will know what I mean when you see them. Piano Man was great, especially if you grew up in the 70s and the 80s and if you are a Billy Joel fan. The Undercover show was great too. It was cleverly done with combination of special effects and superb set decorating. It's a must-see. There were actually standing-ovations after each performance--that was a first for me. I've never seen that in my previous Princess sailings. These performers deserved the standing ovation.

While we waited for embarkation, we saw a bunch of people in their 50s standing around a girl in her 20s who sat next to us. Later on, I got to talk to one of the ladies. She said she is from England and her daughter is one of the Princess dancers. I saw her later dancing. She was the shorter, slimmer Brunette dancer. I'm sure her parents must be so proud of her for dancing and performing so well.

7. One person will win the Princess cook book. I think the maitre d'hotel mark an asterick in one of the programs they hand out as you enter the Princess Theatre.

I did win one of those wonderful Princess cookbooks but at the Wine Tasting event...it is a lovely white large hardcover cookbook with all the recipes from Princess menus for all their itineraries Caribbean, Mediterranean, Alaska, Baltic and Australia.....

A very nice prize...

Emmy

11. Free drinks. Go to the martini and margarita madness demonstration on the first sea day at 12:15pm (Neptunes Reef & pool, deck 14). If you are lucky enough to be picked by Claire, the drink is yours after you "perform" with the crew.12. Opportunities for Free alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks: (1) Champagne Art auction (2:30pm first sea day). Free cheap champagne. I didn't think it was good champagne, but it has alcohol in it and it was free. You need to sit in the Explorer's Lounge to get a free glass. They will refill throughout the auction talk; (2) Captain's Welcome Abroad Cocktail party right before your 1st formal night dinner. So get dressed quickly and show up at the Atrium promptly at 5:15pm (early seating) and/or at 7:30pm (late seating) for 30 minutes of free cocktails; (3) If you are Captain's Circle Members, you will get invited to another cocktail party before the 2nd formal night. If you have traditional first seating, you'll party invitation will likely say 5:15pm. If you have 2nd seating or PC dining, your party invitation will say 7:30pm. Show up promptly at the time stated as there will be a line up outside Club Fusion (7F, AFT) to get into the party. By the way, along with the Captain's Circle cocktail party invitation, there will be a raffle ticket. Fill it out. We got 2 tickets, but my parents only got one. After they introduced and awarded the top 3 cruisers, they will do a raffle. Pay attention. My dad won a bottle of Korbel Champagne. We were chatting so we weren't paying attention to the annoucement of the drawing winners. We heard our cabin number called out, but it just didn't register. It was a good thing DH heard it and prompted my dad to go up and claim his prize.

The free drinks got my attention!:D

11. Free drinks. Go to the martini and margarita madness demonstration on the first sea day at 12:15pm (Neptunes Reef & pool, deck 14). If you are lucky enough to be picked by Claire, the drink is yours after you "perform" with the crew.12. Opportunities for Free alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks: (1) Champagne Art auction (2:30pm first sea day). Free cheap champagne. I didn't think it was good champagne, but it has alcohol in it and it was free. You need to sit in the Explorer's Lounge to get a free glass. They will refill throughout the auction talk; (2) Captain's Welcome Abroad Cocktail party right before your 1st formal night dinner. So get dressed quickly and show up at the Atrium promptly at 5:15pm (early seating) and/or at 7:30pm (late seating) for 30 minutes of free cocktails; (3) If you are Captain's Circle Members, you will get invited to another cocktail party before the 2nd formal night. If you have traditional first seating, you'll party invitation will likely say 5:15pm. If you have 2nd seating or PC dining, your party invitation will say 7:30pm. Show up promptly at the time stated as there will be a line up outside Club Fusion (7F, AFT) to get into the party. By the way, along with the Captain's Circle cocktail party invitation, there will be a raffle ticket. Fill it out. We got 2 tickets, but my parents only got one. After they introduced and awarded the top 3 cruisers, they will do a raffle. Pay attention. My dad won a bottle of Korbel Champagne. We were chatting so we weren't paying attention to the annoucement of the drawing winners. We heard our cabin number called out, but it just didn't register. It was a good thing DH heard it and prompted my dad to go up and claim his prize.

The free drinks got my attention!:D Thanks a bunch!

Merla ~ the more posts of yours I read, the more I think you're a woman after my own heart! :D

Love, love, LOVE the detailed run-down of free cocktail opportunities! It's exactly the kind of important info we all need to know (or at least what poor single gals like me need to know! ;) ), but will never find in any Q&A book. Thanks again for taking the time to share. Every day I get more excited!

-M

Hi Moondawgie

I was a first-time cruiser on the Sapphire on Oct 22. I walked 2-4 miles every day on the Promenade (deck 7). There are lots of nice lounging chairs there which are great for reading and/or napping. I have sun "issues", and I was also able to stay out of the sun there. The Terrace Pool at the aft tended to be quieter than the two big pools in the center of Lido deck.

Emmy taught me that it's great fun watching the "runners" at Puerto Vallarta as they rush to meet the deadline for getting back on board. Our ship was held up for nearly an hour because of one guy who had too much to drink in PV.

Personally, I LOVED the Sapphire :D

Chris

Oh Chris ~ good tip.... always get back to the ship on time:) that was quite a show watching that poor girl with her face in her hands, crying wondering where her hubby was..... when I suggested we go up there to watch I never thought we would see anything.

Watch out for places like Senor Frogs and C&C when on shore.... when they say 5pm they mean it... they were very lucky the ship waited and he managed to get there.

Think Pink Chris :p

Emmy

to other ships as well.

I was on the Diamond's and the Star's 7-day itineraries (Diamond to Alaska and Star to Eastern Caribbean itinerary--all within the last 18 months) and they also offered free drinks at the events I mentioned.

I hope others add to my posts because I really didn't attend that many organized events on the ship. I wish I had gone to more shows and parties at night so I can comment on those as well.

Thanks for the info. Do the loungers on the Promenade deck have cushions? Some of my favorite spots on the Regal, Royal and Sun-class ships have been in the out-of-the-way decks either aft (as on the Regal and Royal) or the Promenade deck (Sun-class).

The only port we had to tender in was at Cabo San Lucas...we did a ship sponsored excursion to Los Arcos so we had to meet in the Princess theare for 7 am and was on the tender by 7:15 am so we maximized our time in port this way...we were the first or second tender off.

Emmy

After watching the setting up of the champagne waterfall in a very hot and crowded atrium we watched the pouring begin and decided to call it a night...as we left and headed for the elevator magically appearing was a waiter with a tray full of champagne glasses brimming with champagne...we were the first to grab two and headed back to the cabin.

Not like the delicious champagne we drank at sailaway.... loved the Moet and Chandon :)

Roberta ~ you mean you actually brought drinks onboard with you;) ;)

Emmy

After watching the setting up of the champagne waterfall in a very hot and crowded atrium we watched the pouring begin and decided to call it a night...as we left and headed for the elevator magically appearing was a waiter with a tray full of champagne glasses brimming with champagne...we were the first to grab two and headed back to the cabin.

Thanks for mentioning it, Emmy! But it's the same cheap champagne as the kind they served at the auction talk. To get a good spot to watch the champagne waterfall, you would have to go to the atrium around 11:30pm. While watching the guys stacking up the champagne glasses, remember to get the streamers from waitresses/waiters walking by. At our sailing, I knew they were passing them out, but I didn't see them come by. The lady next to us got some (not sure when she got them), but no one around us threw the streamers down after they counted down. Not sure why they would keep the streamers intact? Maybe for souvenir? I can't think of another occasion at home to use 1 or 2 streamers.

17. Get free postcards from the Purser's Desk. Unfortunately, the postcards they have is of Diamond Princess and with snow-capped mountains as its backdrop. You can't really see the word Diamond Princess unless you squint really hard, so maybe your friends wouldn't notice when they receive your postcards. You can pay $0.35 for a postcard in the ship's gift shop, but if you look at it carefully, the place where the ship's name is suppose to be is BLANK. They must have white-it-out digitally. The only difference is it has Sapphire Princess written on the blank side of the postcard. Save your $0.35 and get the snow-capped postcards from the Purser's Office. If nothing else, you can cut out the snow-capped mountains and use that ship for your scrapbook.

18. A good place to sit in the Horizon court is a table near the entrance to the buffet area. That way, you can see when the line dwindles and go right in as soon as you see that happens, even during peak traffic hours.

19. Ice machines in the Horizon Court will run out of ice quickly during peak lunch hours, so if you like your drinks cold, you may want to get extra ice along with your meal.

20. If you like tea, try the Jasmine Green Tea (green tea bags) available at the Horizon Court. Chinese tea folklore says that green tea will help in cleansing the fat molecules through your body. So give it a try. You may need to browse through the tea caddie a bit before finding them. Use 2 tea bags initially in 1 cup of hot water. That way you wait 1/2 the time for the tea to brew properly.

21. Good time to come for desserts at the Horizon Court is between 10:30pm-midnight. I've found some delicious desserts (not on the dining room menus) during that time. Chocolate flans with burnt caramel sauce and pecan pies to name a few.

22. FREE ice cream is served in the Horizon Court. Not sure if it's between 3pm-4pm or between 3:30pm-4:30pm, so a good bet is to show up at 3:45pm and you won't miss it. It's only chocolate and vanilla ice cream with chocolate, rainbow, or pistacchio sprinkles and/or with chocolate and butterscotch sauces (caramel sauce). It's not really chocolate sauce though because I saw a big canister underneath the serving station. It says "chocolate flavored syrup"! I guess Princess is really cutting down on the costs of food by using chocolate-flavored syrup. Oh well.

23. If you are Elite members, take advantage of the free winetasting event on Monday at 3:15pm. You get 2 small cocktail glasses for free. Not sure if this event is free for Platinum members.

24. Movies are shown in 3 places: (1) In your stateroom TV. Check the TV guide/booklet in your room. You should find it in the back flap of the big blue binder in your room. (2) In the Princess theatre (check the Patters). (3) In the Explorer's Lounge after 11pm (check the Patters).

Here are the list of movies that were shown on our 10/22-10/29 sailing:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith Ch. 22 (5pm onwards, Sat)

Fever Pitch (Explorer's Lounge 11pm, Sat)

Bewitched (Princess Theatre, 2:30pm, Sun)

Batman Begins (Explorer's Lounge, 11:15pm, Sun)

Monster-in-Law (Princess Theatre, 2:30pm, Mon)

Finding Neverland (Explorer's Lounge, 11pm, Mon)

Interpreter (Princess Theatre, 3:15pm, Tue)

War of the Worlds (Explorer's Lounge, 10:15pm, Tue)

Movie premiere: "Flyboys" (Princess Theatre, 3pm, Wed) NOTE: The director was on our sailing so he had a Q&A session after the showing. Not sure if this movie will be playing in future sailings.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Princess Theatre, 2:30pm, Thu)

Phantom of the Opera (Princess Theatre, 2:30pm, Fri)

25. Don't take any formal portraits or any photos as you get off the ship at each port of call if you don't intend to buy any photos on board. When you see yourself looking good, you will want to buy them. They are now $21.95 for a 8 x 10 photo!

26. I saw some Tropical shirts selling for $17.99 at Costco yesterday. If you plan to attend the Tropical Deck Party on Tuesday (port day: Puerto Vallarta) and if you want to get into the right mood by wearing proper attire, buy a tropical shirt before you get on board. The ship sells these shirts for $29.99 or 2 for $39.99.

27. Go to the champagne waterfall 15 minutes before the scheduled time to get a good viewing spot at the atrium.

28. Not sure if you want to save money on this, but bring a small bottled water with you on board, then you can refill it with cold water in the Horizon Court every morning before you go ashore. It beats paying $2/bottle for bottled water.

29. The kids' t-shirts (with the Mexican Riviera map itinerary printed in the front) were selling at a marked down price of $9.99 (from $12.99) on Friday on the 7F, near entrance to Wheelhouse Bar. If you buy 3 t-shirts, you get $2 off each t-shirt, making them $8 each. Still more expensive than regular t-shirts one can buy at Target, but if you figure that $8 includes tax, then it's not too bad. So if you need last minute souvenirs for grandkids, this is not a bad gift.

30. There is a specialty food bar setup in front of the Horizon Court Entrance (if you are coming from the midship elevators) between noon to 2pm. Don't miss them! I don't see them listed on the patters, so if you blink, you'll miss it. This is true for those who enter the Horizon Court using the AFT elevators. We would never have known about the specialty bars if my parents didn't tell us about it. Their cabin is at the front of the ship, so they enter the Horizon Court from the pool area. On the last day of the cruise, my kids were hanging out at the indoor pool and I was one of the first to enjoy the chocolate bar! I get hungry just thinking about it!

Sushi bar

Mexican bar

Octoberfest bar Thu

Chocolate bar!!!!!! (lots of chocolate-covered strawberries, bananas, and grapes!) Fri

Thanks for mentioning it, Emmy! But it's the same cheap champagne as the kind they served at the auction talk. To get a good spot to watch the champagne waterfall, you would have to go to the atrium around 11:30pm. While watching the guys stacking up the champagne glasses, remember to get the streamers from waitresses/waiters walking by. At our sailing, I knew they were passing them out, but I didn't see them come by. The lady next to us got some (not sure when she got them), but no one around us threw the streamers down after they counted down. Not sure why they would keep the streamers intact? Maybe for souvenir? I can't think of another occasion at home to use 1 or 2 streamers.

We were there before 11:30 pm and tons of people all sitting on the atrium stairs and some VERY tall people...did you notice how many tall people there were on board....really tall... Chris joked maybe it was a basketball team reunion:)

Emmy

Archived