upsell fairy

critterlover

The only upsell offer we received was for a cruise that my wife booked directly online with the Carnival website.

I don't know whether this made any difference but, she had booked us in a grand suite with extended balcony on the Ecstasy and the upsell was for the Owner's Suite. We accepted it. :D

I used to book through my cousin who is a travel agent and never got an upsale call. I've started booking on my own so I can control my own booking and have gotten a call every cruise since. My cousin claims I have just as much of a chance getting a call if I book through her but that's not what experience has shown.:rolleyes:

Yes, if you book through a TA Carnival will not talk to you about the booking.

We were booked through a TA on one of our cruises and Carnival did call us to upgrade us. The funny thing is that we had six cabins side by side on the Empress Deck and they upgraded all of us to the Panorama deck by just checking with the first couple in the group alphabetically. I was looking at our booking online and noticed the cabin numbers had changed. I called our TA and she had to call Carnival to see what had happened. The first couple OK'd it for all of us. TA knew nothing about it. So, it does happen.

We are on the freedom at the end of November and I received an upsell call last week! We were staying in the aft balcony cabin (which I have stayed before), but we upgraded (3of us) to an an ocean suite for $240 total. I thought that was a pretty good deal so we took it. We always book through the website and this will be my 3rd cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Had 2 upswell offers both booked online with Carnival. First was on a 14 day cruise from an aft balcony to a Jr Suite for 1500. Turned it down. Second was an upgrade from an inside to an outside cabin for 20. per person. Agreed to that one. $$ is a deciding factor for me

Upsells are rare, but we have heard more reports from direct bookings than from those who book through TAs.

Many travel agents strongly suggest that you select the cabin that you want and stick with it. They then involve the cruise lines not to place you in the upsell/updgrade category. The reason for this is that many of these bargain upgrades is often to a less desirable room, such as a higher class, but under the pool deck, or buffet.

Overall, the travel agents I have booked with have suggested that you avoid the upgrades.