Applying cash to your account - does it have to be actual "Cash"?

me-shel

We sail tomorrow so I should have thought to ask this sooner... I've read that it's easy to add cash to your account at a kiosk or guest services throughout the cruise to minimize what will end up being charged to a credit card used to set up the account. My question: Does it actually have to be hard cash? Or can you add "cash" to your account with a debit card?

My 21yo daughter is currently set up under my expense account and she was asking how she'd pay for any "extra" purchases if she didn't want me to get charged. I'm in to pay for her general charges... but if she finds an abundance of shopping she wants to do, can she use her debit card to "add cash" or otherwise offset the charges on our account? If it had to be actual hard cash, I'm guessing any ATM on board would have extra fees?

Debit cards are NOT recommended, as your bank will put "HOLDS" on your funds that can last a week or more AFTER the bill has actually been paid! If you plan on using a debit card, simply take the CASH out of your account and use it, instead!

Why not leave it on your card and allow her to pay you back when you return. Alternatively, you will both have some expenses off the ship. Maybe she can pay these for you on her debit card and you can buy offset the onship spending.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, but I don't have time to read all the postings, but I know when the final bill comes, even though everything is on my credit card, if I want to pay it off in CASH (this is ME), I do. As that way I don't have this on my credit card when I get home. :)

Sorry, but I don't have time to read all the postings, but I know when the final bill comes, even though everything is on my credit card, if I want to pay it off in CASH (this is ME), I do. As that way I don't have this on my credit card when I get home. :)

Why not start your account with cash in the first place? It would save a trip to GS and having them remanipulate their computer information.

Sorry, but I don't have time to read all the postings,

Uhhh - 7 previous posts ? Took all of 30 seconds.

Avoid the debit card for the after cruise holds as others have warned.

Have her bring cash withdrawn from the account and avoid the debit card.

Thanks for all the details! I think we'll just let her settle up with me after we're home to avoid any issues. As a " young adult" I try not to discourage any time she's being proactively responsible! Now off to get my sail away drink...:)