Carnival ecstasy October 2nd sailing!

honestguy

Would love to hear from anyone on this sailing. What a change. Going from 3 ports to just Cozumel. I've sailed out of charleston twice so far and I'm scheduled for the oct 8th sailing. I'm kinda surprised they can make to Cozumel and back, but on my two prior cruises from charleston the ship never sailed above 15 knots. No doubt she will be hauling butt down to Cozumel. My bet is this cruise turns into a 7-8 cruise and my cruise ends up being a 5-6 day cruise. Matthew is forecasted to be off the coast of South Carolina on the 8th

I am supposed to me on this cruise! this being my first cruise I am kind of freaking out. We are not sure if it is worth it anymore . But I'm all the cost was fairly low. Any suggestions or canceling or staying with it? Also you said it could turn into a 7-8 day cruise elaborate please :)

We are on the sailing today. Definitely disappointed but , we are going cruising!!! And cozumel has some pretty good snorkeling. I just hope they recognize that with only one port and the possibly of a longer cruise, that the ship needs to be supplied differently than planned....I don't want to end up eating spam!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Forums mobile app

Interesting...it might turn into a 7 dayer? We sailed the Ecstasy out of Galveston years ago and our 5 day turned into a 7 day...because of the swine flu scare...think we went to Jamaica instead of Cozumel because Mexico didn't want us? Decision was made weeks before though...Carnival will keep you safe...no worries:):):)

I am supposed to me on this cruise! this being my first cruise I am kind of freaking out. We are not sure if it is worth it anymore . But I'm all the cost was fairly low. Any suggestions or canceling or staying with it? Also you said it could turn into a 7-8 day cruise elaborate please :)

No need to cancel the cruise. There's just the chance you will be delayed in returning to port. Did carnival offer any compensation for this sailing?

No need to cancel the cruise. There's just the chance you will be delayed in returning to port. Did carnival offer any compensation for this sailing?

They did , 50 dollar credit to our sail account and 25% off Your next cruise

We are on the sailing today. Definitely disappointed but , we are going cruising!!! And cozumel has some pretty good snorkeling. I just hope they recognize that with only one port and the possibly of a longer cruise, that the ship needs to be supplied differently than planned....I don't want to end up eating spam!

The only good thing about a hurricane is Fried Spam, love the stuff but only allow myself to eat it during weather events and when cleaning out hurricane kit.

Please let us know how it goes!!

Edited by crazy.cruzer

Would love to hear from anyone on this sailing. What a change. Going from 3 ports to just Cozumel. I've sailed out of charleston twice so far and I'm scheduled for the oct 8th sailing. I'm kinda surprised they can make to Cozumel and back, but on my two prior cruises from charleston the ship never sailed above 15 knots. No doubt she will be hauling butt down to Cozumel. My bet is this cruise turns into a 7-8 cruise and my cruise ends up being a 5-6 day cruise. Matthew is forecasted to be off the coast of South Carolina on the 8th

Right there with you. I am also on this sailing. I don't know how that boat is coming and unloading and reloading during a hurricane. If it becomes 5 or 6 days then I'm OK with that as long as everyone is safe. Post if you get any updates. Thanks.

I just saw the news that they are looking at closing the port on Saturday.

This will be interesting. It will all depend on the path of Matthew. If the eye gets close enough to make landfall in FL the hurricane will die down a bit and it will be mostly strong gusty wind and rain on Saturday up in Charleston. Still enough to close the port but in that case the most likely thing to happen is that Ecstacy will end up coming in on Sunday and shorting the next cruise by one day. the following cruise will leave a day late.

If the storm stays out at sea but the eye stays 20-50 miles off shore then the coast line will get lots of heavy rainfall and really strong winds in the +100mph range. This would be the most damaging outcome for the eastern coast.

If you look at a weather map and see the big low pressure system just north of North Dakota between saskatchewan and manitoba you will see the long arm of the leading front of that storm stretching across the US. This storm is pushing up against the weak high pressure system that is centered over the South Eastern US (High pressure = no clouds) and this should push hurricane Matthew away from the coast and keep it from hitting the southern US coast.

If this storm is strong enough and if the eye >100 miles off shore there will be huge waves and it will be windy with bands of rain and turbulent thunderstorms. Maybe even a glimpse of sun but will make for amazing sunrises and sunsets. The port would still be closed and Ecstacy will still be in on Sunday but there should be great weather (albeit very big waves) for the cruise and the least amount of damage to the port.

I think that the 2nd option of the eye about 50 miles off shore with a brush up against the outer banks is the most likely and is also reflected in all the current predictive models. But keep an eye on that low up in Canada. That will be a big steering factor for this storm. If that storm dives into the us quickly it could be enough push to keep Matthew to sea.

Anyone that surf would die for option 3, especially the day after the storm passes and the winds turn around. It would be an amazing day for east coast surfers.

If your cruise gets pushed back to Sunday it will probably be late in the day depending on how fast the storm is moving. It may even be Monday if the waves stay dangerously large.

In any case - Keep Safe - Have a fun cruise!

-Sean

On the Ecstasy. We just made it to Cozumel. Everyone on board knows about evacuations and the possibility of not getting back to Charleston.....carnival hadn't said a thing to us yet though. Hoping they will start to mention it in the morning.

Also remember that most everyone has flights that needto be changed or a car sitting in charleston with the storm.

Just got an email from Carnival. The port is closed Saturday in Charleston. The cruise that is out now will come in a day late (if they reopen the port on Sunday). The cruise I was scheduled to go on Saturday, will go out on Sunday We will get a refund for that one day we missed via a check in the next 3 weeks. We will change from Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay to Freeport and an overnight stay in Nassau. OK with me - I've been to all those ports before. I just like being on the ship!!

Following along here - From the NHC It looks like the forecast has changed a little in that the Hurricane was initially predicted to head North North East by Sunday afternoon but now it looks like it may linger off the South Carolina Coast into Monday.

As of 3 PM Eastern Time -

INIT 05/1500Z 21.8N 75.2W 105 KT 120 MPH

12H 06/0000Z 23.1N 76.0W 110 KT 125 MPH

24H 06/1200Z 24.8N 77.5W 115 KT 130 MPH

36H 07/0000Z 26.6N 79.0W 115 KT 130 MPH

48H 07/1200Z 28.2N 80.1W 115 KT 130 MPH

72H 08/1200Z 31.5N 80.0W 95 KT 110 MPH

96H 09/1200Z 32.5N 76.0W 85 KT 100 MPH

120H 10/1200Z 32.0N 74.0W 70 KT 80 MPH

Here is a link to location of the center of the Hurricane on Monday at noon -

NHC Predicted Location of Hurricane Matthew on Monday Oct 10th @ Noon

You can copy the coordinates and paste into google if you are tracking from home.

-Sean