Book now, or after final payment is due?

theskyandseas

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I have my eye on a cruise this coming December, what are your thoughts on booking now or waiting a couple of weeks until we're in final payment territory. Are prices likely to fall considerably? The cruise is over New Years, so would this make a difference? Does anybody have any stories to share of prices going up/down?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I have my eye on a cruise this coming December, what are your thoughts on booking now or waiting a couple of weeks until we're in final payment territory. Are prices likely to fall considerably? The cruise is over New Years, so would this make a difference? Does anybody have any stories to share of prices going up/down?

It depends on flexible you are.

Yes I have booked great deals after final payment is due but choice of cabins are not always available. Yes you can save $$$$$

Hi All,

Have you booked air? Remember if you're travelling over the Christmas period, air fares can be high, and they only usually go one way. Only mentioning as you'll be flying long haul wherever you're sailing over Christmas/New Year, living in the UK. Just a thought, as this can obviously counteract any discounts you may get on the cruise ;).

do a full availability check and keep a close eye on it

use .co.uk not .com you get better data.

or say which cruise and someone can do it.

you also have o factor perks if you want/need them

Thanks for your speedy response. The cruise is 30th December, 9 night Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale.

Have you booked air? Remember if you're travelling over the Christmas period, air fares can be high, and they only usually go one way. Only mentioning as you'll be flying long haul wherever you're sailing over Christmas/New Year, living in the UK. Just a thought, as this can obviously counteract any discounts you may get on the cruise ;).

Hi. Thanks for your response. Im looking at air fares, I might book this anway, then the cruise later.

We are also on this sailing. The requirement for final payment for holiday cruises is 90 days. So today, Oct 2 was the final payment date for this Dec. 30 Silhouette cruise. It's possible there might be some reductions in the next few weeks. The other option, if this is a UK possibility, is to book the minimum category that would make you happy and if prices go down, request an available upgrade.

Hi All,

You may get better room availability.

We are also on this sailing. The requirement for final payment for holiday cruises is 90 days. So today, Oct 2 was the final payment date for this Dec. 30 Silhouette cruise. It's possible there might be some reductions in the next few weeks. The other option, if this is a UK possibility, is to book the minimum category that would make you happy and if prices go down, request an available upgrade.

UK final payment is usually 57 days prior, however if you book through a TA, most ask for payment at least a couple of weeks before that ;). 3rd November is X's final payment date in the UK for your particular cruise. I presume it's later because ours are non refundable deposits, so they expect the majority to keep their bookings, this late in the game, unless illness or emergencies arise.

OP,

Unsure if you plan on booking a balcony, but the price is cheaper on the US site for a GTY than it is currently on the UK one, and you'd probably get OBC from their TAs too (covering your tips). Furthermore, if you book a GTY in the US, you can change cabins within your category, should there be more favourable positions available (you cannot do this if you book in the UK ;)). So even if the price drops after UK final payment, it may only drop to the current pricing of the US. Additionally, there's a free drink package included in the US price too. Of course, only my speculation - anything could happen where pricing is concerned ;). The inside cabins are cheaper on the UK site, but unsure what you are after?

p.s. I based the pricing on the Silhouette sailing that was mentioned above; unsure if this was the cruise you were considering?

Edited by villauk

MY(UK based) starting points for this "where might the price go...."

If you want a solo that changes things as cabins availability and prices will be different.

start here and do a cabin check

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/itinerary/si09e013/20161230/2/0/cruiseonly

lots of grades available but not that many cabins.

eg. on the ship/available counts.

140/27 inside

70/13 OV

750/74 balcony

254/35 concierge

149/14 Aqua

66/22 suites

Now what we don't know is how many will come back as people cancelled or how many GTY are yet to be allocated.

If I was keen on this trip I would be watching those numbers daily they can change quickly

X UK lead in price is £759

next is the X UK air offer to get a ballpark figure for other searched.

one night precruise and LON any airport flights £750pp Virgin direct.

a quick scan on a flight site might find something around £600 indirect

Choice air(needs US booking) $840($621)

total is looking steep for my tastes even for a NY trip.

cabin price history I use the fish and the plum

these don't show perks but give a baseline.

US(need to add taxes) drops started July ,there are some grades at a low but generally the ranges have not been wide just a few $100 on over $1k inside low was $999.

UK the low point was in Aug,

Insides were down to £659 OV

were <1k now £1400+ (may have come with a perk in Aug)

prices going up now.

Based on another cruise I have been watching I think there may be isolated deals but I fear the UK low points for this may have passed US might offer something but they may go qucik as holiday cruise will have those ready to pounce looking..

the other checks are the exciting deals advanced warning of the weekly special, keep an eye on as the Dec cruises are starting to apear on that list.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

(your prices may be different if 55+ and or Captains club)

Edited by insidecabin