Royal can you read this - Suggestion re gluten free at buffet

OK... let's say your numbers are accurate (even though the Celiac Disease numbers are probably a little low from what is actual). That would mean 5% of the population has to be wheat and/or gluten free. On a 6,000 passenger ship like Oasis that would mean there are 300 passengers who have to be wheat and/or gluten free.

Or look at it the other way, the vast majority, 95% of the ship or 5700 people people don't have this problem so it makes sense that there aren't many GF options. there's no need to for them to stock GF free water yet :P

Or look at it the other way, the vast majority, 95% of the ship or 5700 people people don't have this problem so it makes sense that there aren't many GF options. there's no need to for them to stock GF free water yet :P

I'm sure the vast majority of the passengers aren't handicapped so I'm guessing your view is that there is no need to accommodate the handicapped ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a fish/shellfish allergy severe enough that I carry an epicenter. I also have an almond allergy. I notified RC of this before the cruise, and they instructed me to talk to the person at the podium at the MDR entrance when I boarded. They also stressed that if I ate anywhere else, I'd basically have to take my chances. I felt that was both informative and fair. My allergies were taken very seriously in the MDR. Like you say, cross contamination is the biggest issue.

Holly

DH has shellfish allergy and was going to have some pasta one day with sauce in the WJ but Sauce was not labeled. The Waiter had no idea what was in it, could have shrimp? DH passed on the whole idea.

I found they use Almond flour in baking, I found out before I became GF. I am allergic to Almonds too. So, I passed on the muffins that day when I asked if they had nuts in them.

So, double check on that as well in the WJ.

Congratulations! You DO have a choice.. you could choose to be kind and understanding, but apparently you didn't.:mad:

My "choice" of eating gluten free keeps me from throwing up and having uncontrollable diarrhea for 3 days. Trust me - I would choose to eat gluten if I could.

Yep, sure know the feeling!! Takes day to right itself too so you feel more normal.

Fitting user name.

Just off anthem. I roommate is celiac. She was told not to eat in the buffet which we did not go near,

Cafe 270 had premade sandwiches which were separate and gluten free and she ate there often.

Dining room maitre d,e gave her the menu in advance and she had no trouble at all even bringing her gluten free bread.

Ordered room service after being assured they would deliver gluten free bread special sealed which they did. As she was going to eat the bread the porter was knocking at our door saying do not eat that I gave you the wrong one.

Scared her because she would have been hospitalized had she eaten it. Very grateful he relived the mistake and none of the old or the new.

I think most reasonable people with dietary restrictions only ask that information be disclosed about the contents of food so that they can make a decision for themselves.

The cross contamination issue brought up by the OP is a valid concern.

Stop for a second and think about these scenarios:

1. "We don't know if this has rat turds in it"

2. "This doesn't have rat turds in it but it may have come in contact with rat turds so there may be some rat turd in it. We cannot guarantee it."

Regardless of dietary needs/preferences/desires: Would you eat a dish with those caveats?

I think most people would not.

I don't consider this a special accommodation. Also, the whole "truth in labeling" school of thought demands that if you label something as not containing X or Y then it indeed should not contain X or Y regardless of how it got there.

I really do not make a big deal about being Celiac on the ship. I do let the head waiter know in the MDR so that I can choose what I want, but I am a pretty picky eater as a rule and pretty much just eat meat and a baked potato and maybe some steamed green beans or carrots. I do eat breakfast every day in the Windjammer, but I only eat things I know will be 100% safe for me, like hard boiled eggs, yogurt, banana, etc. So, I typically do not have to worry about cross contamination. And fortunately, even though I do have Celiac (diagnosed through 2 yrs of medical testing), I am not as sensitive as some so I can get a piece of ham from the carving station and still be OK. I have never asked for anything extra like pancakes or waffles, just go with the flow. Not a huge breakfast person anyway. And I normally am not on the ship for lunch, or if I am, again, just have a piece of fruit or something I know for sure is safe.

I also usually bring some gluten free pretzels or crackers from home for a snack as well if I want something to munch on.

But it can be a challenge. We rarely go out to eat at home because we live in a very small town and have very few places that offer gluten free choices. Just much easier to cook at home. It is a treat to go to a bigger city and have more options.

Just off anthem. I roommate is celiac. She was told not to eat in the buffet which we did not go near,

Cafe 270 had premade sandwiches which were separate and gluten free and she ate there often.

Dining room maitre d,e gave her the menu in advance and she had no trouble at all even bringing her gluten free bread.

Ordered room service after being assured they would deliver gluten free bread special sealed which they did. As she was going to eat the bread the porter was knocking at our door saying do not eat that I gave you the wrong one.

Scared her because she would have been hospitalized had she eaten it. Very grateful he relived the mistake and none of the old or the new.

That was too scary. The kitchen goofed. Being that serious a GF the Chef for room service should have personally prepared her order. Geez........

I like the premade sandwiches. Haven't seen that on a ship yet. Maybe only on Anthem. Each ship does it differently which is frustrating. I found the bread on Allure was the best ever but that was after many other RCL ships. The rest had a cake loaf type bread.