Guaranteed Cabins?

RubySlippers85

Hi guys,

First-time solo cruiser here. Just wondering how the whole "guaranteed cabin" system works? Do the cruise lines wait until a majority of cabins are booked to then allocate you a cabin? What is the likelihood that you'll get a better category of cabin than you're guaranteed? :confused:

I'm really excited about my upcoming first cruise in January - but discovered today that the balcony cabin I'm "guaranteed" for is actually made for 3-4 passengers so has bunks etc in it - vs twin beds that can convert to a queen. I wonder how likely it'll be that the cruise line (Princess) will give me a normal balcony cabin instead.... I've checked on the Princess booking engine and none of the 3-4 person sized balcony cabins are available anymore (sold out) - does that mean anything? :confused:

Anyway I appreciate any insight you all can provide! :)

All the cabins are graded and each higher grade is normally more expensive to book, often they are identical cabins but in more popular locations. You can sometimes book a MINIMUM GRADE guarantee e.g. OZ which is an oceanview cabin, thought to be in a less favourable location on the ship and this is the worst case scenario you will face. As bookings fill the ship you might be reallocated an oceanview in a more convenient location, OE, OE etc. or a better cabin type in an extreme case, such as a balcony cabin. You can also book a MINIMUM TYPE of cabin such as a balcony - a BALCONY GUARANTEE booking as YOU HAVE DONE. This means you get a balcony cabin, probably again in a less popular location such as on Lido deck which I think is brilliant. Again as bookings fill the ship you might be reallocated a better positioned balcony cabin and in an extreme case a mini-suite etc. Your allocation will be after the people who pay higher tariffs get allocated the exact cabins they choose. Then the cruise line moves people about as it thinks best.

Some cabins can accommodate four people others just two. Where a cabin may accommodate four people the "spare two beds" are stored on the walls folded up or above the ceiling. The two twin beds go together in all cabins EXCEPT IF THREE/ FOUR PEOPLE ARE TRAVELLING, so steward should make a queen size bed whatever cabin you get allocated. I think above the ceiling is more likely in a balcony cabin as in this case absolutely no space is lost as is generally the case with beds on walls.

If the balcony cabins for four are sold out, and you cannot rely on the cruise line for absolutely accurate information, particularly near sail date. Then you might well be targeted for an upgrade to vacate a "four berth" should a late party of four try to book in.

If I were in your position I should be quite happy as there is still the possibility of another upgrade for you and if it does not happen two spare beds in the ceiling is not a problem whatsoever. I often like the lower grades but the majority of people prefer elsewhere, the reality is what you like. There are no bad cabins on the ships generally.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Thank you John! I really appreciate you explaining how the guarantee cabins work. Honestly I'm glad I got a great price on a balcony cabin in general - and will be happy with the room type I've booked if nothing better comes along! It will be interesting to see how it all pans out closer to the date though - that's for sure! :)

Our 1st experience w/ GTY was great. Booked lowest grade obstructed OV. About 2 months out we got our cabin assignment...Premium OV on Lido deck! This was on the Grand, we LOVED it! Large floor to ceiling window right next to the Trident Grill and all the action on Lido. We booked our 2nd GTY for our next cruise on the Grand to Mexico in Dec. We're anxiously awaiting news of our cabin.

Have a great cruise RubySlippers, let us know what you end up getting.

Happy Planning, Sharon

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I don't know your specific cabin, but in most four-berth cabins the third and fourth beds pull down from compartments in the ceiling and if only two people are booked into the cabin it's otherwise the same as any other cabin (including the ability for the two main beds to be configured as twins or a queen bed). They're not like "bunks" per se.

We booked a guarantee balcony cabin on Caribbean Princess and ended up with a balcony cabin in a nominally better location (one or two subcategories above the booked grade, but an identical cabin). We're in a quarantee cabin for the upcoming Christmas cruise but all I know is that the specific grade we're guaranteed for is sold out. I'm hoping to go up two subcategories to the balcony grade we normally book but we'll see.

The basic rule for a guarantee cabin is you have to be happy with any cabin in the grade you've booked or better, anywhere on the ship. If you only want front or only rear, or a shower rather than a bathtub, a guarantee is probably not a good idea.

What have your experiences been? Have you ever gone for a guarantee cabin?

Before a mid ship location became absolutely essential due to health issues, yes pretty much always.

Knew that I risked getting the worst in the category, always pretty happy with what we got.

Got allocations within hours of booking to at the dock.

The cabin type I've got on guarantee is a "BY" type on Sun Princess which apparently doesn't have twins that can convert to a queen size bed - I've attached a screenshot of the booking page on K**** Cruises where I booked my cruise. It seemed weird to me also since I couldn't find any pictures of the floorplan etc online.

Capture.jpg.8345ce743123d1c2a626791603b24414.jpg

If BY shows as sold out when you try to book it (including directly on the Princess website) it probably means that they're all allocated to others and you'll be assigned a better balcony cabin grade. Otherwise you'd have been told of a specific BY assigned to you. Hopefully it won't be BX. :)

Edited by Underwatr