Jersey City to Red Hood/Brooklyn

FrenchPeach

Hi - we'll be driving down from Montreal on a Friday to take a cruise from Red Hook/Brooklyn on Saturday.

I was thinking about staying in Jersey City Friday night and not NYC itself. Approximately how long is the drive on the Saturday morning and by which route? The Holland tunnel makes me a bit nervous...

Thank you all so much for your help!

Hi - we'll be driving down from Montreal on a Friday to take a cruise from Red Hook/Brooklyn on Saturday.

I was thinking about staying in Jersey City Friday night and not NYC itself. Approximately how long is the drive on the Saturday morning and by which route? The Holland tunnel makes me a bit nervous...

Thank you all so much for your help!

It's only 6.5 miles from Jersey City to Red Hook. The easiest way to do it is to take the Holland Tunnel (right hand lane staying right when exiting) , follow the signs to West Street (first exit on the right - stay on Laight St until you hit the river), go south on West St (left turn to go south), follow signs to I-478 to Hamilton Ave Brooklyn which will take you through the Hugh L. Carey/Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (toll), and then follow the printed directions to the Red hook terminal.

Thanks Carol! I'm a bit nervous to take the tunnel but if you say it's the fastest... what time should we leave the hotel on Saturday morning if we want to check in for noon?

Just so you realize, it's two tunnels. The Holland Tunnel from New Jersey to Manhattan and then the Hugh Carey Brooklyn Battery Tunnel from Manhattan to Brooklyn. If you dislike tunnels you're going to get a double dose within ten minutes of each other, so prepare yourself.

Just so you realize, it's two tunnels. The Holland Tunnel from New Jersey to Manhattan and then the Hugh Carey Brooklyn Battery Tunnel from Manhattan to Brooklyn. If you dislike tunnels you're going to get a double dose within ten minutes of each other, so prepare yourself.

Understood but glad to hear they're 10 minutes from each other. 👍

Do you recommend staying in Jersey City the night before?

Jersey City is great if you want a view of the Manhattan Skyline and want to visit Manhattan or the Statue of Liberty. If you just want to get to the port with no stress most Red Hook cruisers stay in Brooklyn. Then all you have to do is wake up and go to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you recommend staying in Jersey City the night before?

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. What is your budget? I personally like the Jersey City Newport area which is probably more expensive, but a lot nicer than Brooklyn. What hotel were you considering?

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. What is your budget? I personally like the Jersey City Newport area which is probably more expensive, but a lot nicer than Brooklyn. What hotel were you considering?

We were thinking about The Westin or Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. Thoughts? Rates are comparable with Brooklyn considering that our dollar is 30% more than the USD. $250 +- USD/Night is reasonable.

I was a little apprehensive about getting lost to Red Hook but since you said that it was only 6.5 miles away, there is less margin for error. :)

If we do decide on Jersey City, what time should we depart on Saturday morning?

Just spotted the Holiday Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park for $122 per night. I'm assuming that this could be a cheaper option too? Distance to Red Hook?

Thanks you!! I appreciate your help.

Country Inns in Elizabeth, NJ is on TravelZoo and United.com for $110 plus tax. Residence Inn in Elizabeth is on aa.com for $120 plus tax. These hotels are in a cluster by the Jersey Gardens Mall and have access to a Ruby Tuesday's, IHOP, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and the mall food court. Free breakfast, but charge for parking.

Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield is fine, but there are no nearby services.

Courtyard jersey city is $170 ($193.80 with tax) plus $22 parking. I have stayed here and would recommend it. Very close to the Holland Tunnel, which was one of the attractions for us.