Flight home after cruise

dancr

We are flying back to the US after a cruise that ends in Amsterdam. Can we safely take a flight that leaves at noon?

I doubt it, even if you do self-disembarkation unless you can be off the ship by 8:30am. You haven't told us what time your ship docks. Also, Were any of your ports non-Europe? If so you'll probably have to go through immigration when leaving the ship.

You're usually advised to allow three hours for international flights in order to have sufficient time to check in, go through an additional passport check line, and go through security.

you will probably be fine try to be off the ship before 8 am

it is about 30 min to the airport if you are docking right in Amsterdam

you can book a private taxi/driver or go to the train station & take the train to Schipol

You can get more information on the Western Europe forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Edited by LHT28

We get in at 6 am to Amsterdam. On the cruise we have gone to Russia, Germany, plus Baltic countries. Can we safely take a flight at noon home?

We have done this. It is especially easy if you are in suites as they get to self-disembark first. If you are in a regular cabin, you will be in the second group to self-disembark after suites. Self-disembark WITH your luggage and have a driver waiting for you. Be among the first off the ship and you should have no problem making your flight.

Some tips, you are only allowed one carryon per person and European size carryon is quite small. On one trip my husband had brought 2 briefcase size carryons on the flight to Europe (I told him not to) and when we were coming back, we were told he could only have 1. He had a lot of expensive computer and camera gear in his 2 bags, so I was forced to check my carryon along with most of the stuff I use in flight(grrrr). So just be prepared that you can only have 1 carryon and not a purse and carryon or a carryon and personal item coming back. They are also much more sensitive about the weight of your bags, so be sure to bring a portable luggage scale and weigh your bags on the ship to make sure they are not overweight so you don't get delayed and have to repack things at the airport.

Hi dancr. I am on the same cruise and I see you just posted to our Roll Call for this cruise. Glad you did.

You should have no problems with a noon flight. Best to do early disembarkation though. We can discuss on the Roll Call. See you there.:)

Some tips, you are only allowed one carryon per person and European size carryon is quite small. On one trip my husband had brought 2 briefcase size carryons on the flight to Europe (I told him not to) and when we were coming back, we were told he could only have 1. He had a lot of expensive computer and camera gear in his 2 bags, so I was forced to check my carryon along with most of the stuff I use in flight(grrrr). So just be prepared that you can only have 1 carryon and not a purse and carryon or a carryon and personal item coming back. They are also much more sensitive about the weight of your bags, so be sure to bring a portable luggage scale and weigh your bags on the ship to make sure they are not overweight so you don't get delayed and have to repack things at the airport.

This is overly generalized.

It completely depends on the airline which you are flying on. If on a USA carrier, you will have a more liberal allowance even when flying from Europe, less on a European carrier. The size limitations vary from airline to airline and the "personal item" addition is also carrier dependent. Finally, some airlines have weight limits on your carryons and will weigh them to see if they meet the limits.

In addition, if your itinerary has multiple carriers, the most restrictive rules will apply. You can't say "well, it was allowed on the inbound".

Since you don't mention carrier, the best and most accurate advice about carryons is....go to the operating carrier's website and read the actual rules for each of your flights.

Edited by FlyerTalker

This is overly generalized.

It completely depends on the airline which you are flying on. If on a USA carrier, you will have a more liberal allowance even when flying from Europe, less on a European carrier. The size limitations vary from airline to airline and the "personal item" addition is also carrier dependent. Finally, some airlines have weight limits on your carryons and will weigh them to see if they meet the limits.

In addition, if your itinerary has multiple carriers, the most restrictive rules will apply. You can't say "well, it was allowed on the inbound".

Since you don't mention carrier, the best and most accurate advice about carryons is....go to the operating carrier's website and read the actual rules for each of your flights.

Good advice. I know from experience: Delta, United and American - no problem.

We have done this. It is especially easy if you are in suites as they get to self-disembark first. If you are in a regular cabin, you will be in the second group to self-disembark after suites. Self-disembark WITH your luggage and have a driver waiting for you. Be among the first off the ship and you should have no problem making your flight.

When we flew to US from Amsterdam we had no trouble with personal item in addition to regular size carryon. But in Gatwick airport in London we experienced the one small carryon rule.

When we flew to US from Amsterdam we had no trouble with personal item in addition to regular size carryon. But in Gatwick airport in London we experienced the one small carryon rule.
And what were the airlines involved? That is much more relevant than the airport.

What was the airline?