Labadee

The news coming out of Haiti is awful!

:(

I feel just horrible for those people and the death toll is now up to 113.

My heart goes out to Haiti, the last thing they need is yet another natural disaster on top of everything else they are dealing with. The US carrier George Washington is on its way with relief, and Venezuela just delivered some supplies (which I find odd since that country cannot even provide basic necessities to their own people these days).

I see lots of prayers on this thread, and that is fine, but usually money is more important to solve immediate issues:rolleyes:

And since one poster mentioned that they will be arriving early to drop off some humanitarian supplies- it's actually important for RCI to return asap.

I see lots of prayers on this thread, and that is fine, but usually money is more important to solve immediate issues:rolleyes:

The second most important thing is that some are showing compassion for the people affected by the hurricane instead of worrying about whether they will be able to stop at a port and enjoy themselves (have fun). The first is that we pray for those affected by the storm. You don't have to but let those that want to pray, pray. I'm also going to pray that you send money.

The second most important thing is that some are showing compassion for the people affected by the hurricane instead of worrying about whether they will be able to stop at a port and enjoy themselves (have fun). The first is that we pray for those affected by the storm. You don't have to but let those that want to pray, pray. I'm also going to pray that you send money.

I have been on the dock in Haiti and cried real tears as relief supplies were unloaded. And at the same time I have contributed money (despite knowing that some portion of it would be wasted) I know that many people of varying religious beliefs (as well as many who have no religious belief) are concerned about their fellow man. I also am aware that many who advocate prayer do very little outside their own community (and perhaps not much within their community). Sad, but true. Compassion (prayer if you wish) is worth very little without action. My opinion of course, but I hope that I will be going to judgment with a clear conscience. I'm not so sure about that for some who most rigorously wave the flag of religion, but I am not the judge of that. And I think I have far exceeded what should be a topic on a cruise board.

Thom

PS my comment were entirely generic and were in no way intending to impune the sincerity of the individual I was responding to.

Edited by TravelerThom

alfaeric's analysis is spot on. They made it OK in Labadee. Other parts of the country fared far worse.

Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove

We in the north were very lucky that Hurricane Matthew stayed far enough west of Labadee and as a result, we only experienced light winds and rain.
Edited by ThirstyCruiser

And since one poster mentioned that they will be arriving early to drop off some humanitarian supplies- it's actually important for RCI to return asap.

Agreed..and I can't see how money (at THIS moment) would help. Their urgent need right now is food, water and clothing. I wish there was a way that RC could let all the pax know to bring clothing for the Haitians on their future cruises. Money "right now" would not do much good. It isn't like they can go "shopping". Supplies are of the utmost importance.

Edited by champagne123
sssss

Allure should be there later today. She is tracking just west of Haiti.

Everyone complains about the new hard mattresses.

When we visited Haiti on Allure the crew was offloading all the old mattresses to aid those in need.

It was great to see RC helping.

Agreed..and I can't see how money (at THIS moment) would help. Their urgent need right now is food, water and clothing. I wish there was a way that RC could let all the pax know to bring clothing for the Haitians on their future cruises. Money "right now" would not do much good. It isn't like they can go "shopping". Supplies are of the utmost importance.

So is this something we can actually do?? We will be in Labadee in 5 weeks and I would love to bring an extra suitcase filled with clothes. Is this something we can do?? Where would we take it?? Hopefully if this is something that is possible, Royal will let us know.

So is this something we can actually do?? We will be in Labadee in 5 weeks and I would love to bring an extra suitcase filled with clothes. Is this something we can do?? Where would we take it?? Hopefully if this is something that is possible, Royal will let us know.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I was going to load up a suitcase and bring a big plastic bag and transfer the clothes into it. But can we do this? Who do we give it to...the workers that sell the souvenirs? I don't know. I have a large group leaving in 13 days on the Anthem. One of our stops is Labadee. I don't have any answers, but I hope someone does.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I was going to load up a suitcase and bring a big plastic bag and transfer the clothes into it. But can we do this? Who do we give it to...the workers that sell the souvenirs? I don't know. I have a large group leaving in 13 days on the Anthem. One of our stops is Labadee. I don't have any answers, but I hope someone does.

A few years ago, someone posted that he arranged directly with RCI to bring a lot of extra stuff to donate for Haiti.

Call them, and see if you can arrange something in a short time frame.

A few years ago, someone posted that he arranged directly with RCI to bring a lot of extra stuff to donate for Haiti.

Call them, and see if you can arrange something in a short time frame.

Really? Ok...if I call and let them know we all want to help, how do I/We advise people to bring clothes/soap etc?

I've been bringing clothing and toiletries items each time we go to Labadee over the years. Anything from toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and hygiene products. I fill up one or two of those .99 bags from TJMaxx or Home Goods and give it to any Haitian. You have Haitians playing music as you enter Labadee, Haitians selling their wares, Haitians helping you with lounge chairs, Haitians driving the trams. etc.. Even buying a package or two of Tee Shirts or underwear for males, females or for children is helpful. Sizes don't matter when you have nothing.

Security will stop you if you're taking off a suitcase and I found it to be a hassle so now all things we bring go into a large bag.

Of course any monetary amount you can give them is appreciated by them. A few dollars here and there won't change our life.

People complain how aggressive the Haitians are when selling their wares, they have so very little and they are only trying to feed and clothed their families.

Years ago our roll call bought school supplies and there was a process we had to follow, can't find that information now.

We'll also be in Labadee in a few weeks on the 26th.