Piazza Navona.... Do they have artists in square year round?

luv2gonow

Hi,

We are staying one night pre-cruise,looking at early April on a Saturday.

Last summer I remember there were many artists selling paintings all through

The square. Are the Artists there year round?

I have regretted not buying a painting. I will stay near Navona for the one night before cruise. IF..... Artists are there for April and easy taxi to from our area.

If not I will stay near port.

Thanks

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

The artists are there year-round, although perhaps there are fewer in the "off-season" months. (But I would not really consider April off-season.)

I've been there in just about every month but January and I usually walk through Piazza Navona at least once.

The artists are there year-round, although perhaps there are fewer in the "off-season" months. (But I would not really consider April off-season.)

I've been there in just about every month but January and I usually walk through Piazza Navona at least once.

Thanks so much I think then I will stay in Rome near there.

Any hotels close to there you are familiar with?

Thanks

Kerri

I almost always stay in the area next to Piazza Navona -- near the Pantheon. (Just a couple of blocks away....)

Without knowing your preferences and price range, it's tricky to make recommendations, but here are a few:

Albergo del Senato -- fantastic hotel right on the piazza next to the Pantheon. It's expensive but perhaps if you are looking for a treat are only staying one night you might consider it. (Also rates are more reasonable if you're going to be there in the off season.)

Albergo Santa Chiara -- very nice hotel right behind the Pantheon, traditional European elegance but a little less fancy -- and less expensive -- than the del Senato. A lot of their rooms have recently been redone and are quite nice (but of course on the small side, as is usual in Europe).

Hotel Navona -- if you are looking for a well-located hotel room at a good price, consider this one. It's actually a bit closer to Piazza Navona, but it's less deluxe -- more like a cross between a European hotel and a pensione. The hotel is located on several floors of an old palazzo with a courtyard and columns in front dating from Roman times. It's in a quiet street off the piazza and can be a little difficult to find at first. The rooms and baths have been modernized but are definitely on the smaller side. I read about it in a British newspaper article on great value hotels in Rome.

All three of these hotels serve a great breakfast that's included in the room cost. I've stayed in all of them. Albergo del Senato is my hands-down favorite, but I'd stay in the other two again (especially in high season when del Senato's costs verge on robbery....)

if you want to be right on the Plazza, you may want to consider an apartment like this:

https://www.agoda.com/appartamento-benincampi/hotel/rome-it.html

We'll be there in three weeks, and the management has been wonderful to deal with. The reviews are great too.

Not sure it's worth it for just one night (which is what the OP has) -- will they even rent for a single night? Quite a few apartments won't.

Agree with cruisemom. We often rent flats when traveling, but have done the math and with the various add-on fees most seem to have, three nights is typically the break even over a hotel. And as she mentioned, many won't let for a single night.

Agree with cruisemom. We often rent flats when traveling, but have done the math and with the various add-on fees most seem to have, three nights is typically the break even over a hotel. And as she mentioned, many won't let for a single night.

Felt it worthwhile to offer the OP another option. There are some things that an apartment can offer that you can't put a price on (like a direct view from a private balcony on the Plaza), so I never compare the cost of a hotel vs apartment; kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by sippican