I have forgotten again

winningstudio

We have an up and coming cruise on Ventura and I can't for the life of me remember something which I am sure I have asked about before (one of the joys of old age I think).

When making purchases e.g. duty free, you are usually asked if you want to pay in Euros or pounds and I cannot remember which is the best, if there is a best ?

Advice anyone

Thanks

We have an up and coming cruise on Ventura and I can't for the life of me remember something which I am sure I have asked about before (one of the joys of old age I think).

When making purchases e.g. duty free, you are usually asked if you want to pay in Euros or pounds and I cannot remember which is the best, if there is a best ?

Advice anyone

Thanks

That's only at the airport, on the ship its £'s so not a problem. The € is about where it was 6 months ago.

That's only at the airport, on the ship its £'s so not a problem. The € is about where it was 6 months ago.

The £ against the Euro in April (6 months ago) was about 1-25 Euros to the £ today the Euro is 1-10 to the £. Hardly the same.

Advice anyone

Thanks

Do you mean if you are paying by a card in a shop ashore?

We had that problem last cruise and I cannot remember what we paid in, probably the wrong way.

So if you are paying by card ashore and are given the choice what should your answer be?

According to my guru, Martin Lewis of moneysavingexpert, you should ALWAYS pay in the local currency on your credit or debit card, but be aware that some cards are better to use abroad than others. There is money to be saved by using the right card if you are a frequent traveller who spends money abroad. Check out the website.

Rob

Yes, as Rob says, when ashore abroad always pay in the local currency and leave the conversion to your card provider who gives a better rate than the shopkeeper........this also applies to your account on board ships where the currency is Euros or dollars, don't allow the ship to convert, the credit card provider gives a better rate.

The pound is very weak against the pound and even worse with the dollar (with thanks to Brexit) so trust me when I say this (finance degree); spend in £ wherever possible and when using a card try to use one which had the best exchange rate and best deal for buying abroad to avoid nasty bills.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums