Xplor on our own-we will make it in time?

gpgirl

We have a dilemma. Trying to decide between Xplor shore excursion through RCCL or on our own? If we choose Xplor through RCCL it will be double the price for the 4 of us (around $800).

Can we/should we go on our own? We are in port from 8am-7pm. Thinking of taking ferry to Playa del Carmen then the Xplor transport will pick us up or we can take taxi. I know the ferry is 45 minutes-1 hour each way plus taxi ride. But will the Xplor tour take more than 5 hours? Think this can be done?

Assuming you catch an early ferry, you probably have enough time to DIY. It's only about a 15 minute taxi ride away from the ferry pier in Playa del Carmen. That's maybe $10 for a taxi each way plus you'll have about the same fare from southern cruise piers to ferry dock on Coz. Ferry will cost about $11 each way ($6 for children). I was under the impression that tickets for Xplor were around US$130 a person. Maybe US$ 85 for children under 16. And there are vendors on line who can arrange tours ( some directly with the park too) that include transportation. So add all that up and for 4 adults it's not a lot of savings to DIY. The park has a web site too.

But at the park, you are free to do what ever you want. So how much time it takes will depend on crowds and what you want to do.

All that, however, by taking the ship excursion you're assured of getting back to the ship before it leave. The ship will wait. Return ferries from Playa only run every other hour on the odd hour Coz time.

Thank you! The cost for Xplor is $101 for adult and $50 for children. I found the ferry schedule online and it looks like there are 3 ferry companies between Cozumel and Playa del carmen. DIY price is 1/2 of cruise line (here is my struggle! lol). Just want to make sure we get back to Cozumel ferry by 5pm is the issue. We dock at 8am but does not look like the next ferry leaves until 9am from Cozumel to Playa.

Assuming you catch an early ferry, you probably have enough time to DIY. It's only about a 15 minute taxi ride away from the ferry pier in Playa del Carmen. That's maybe $10 for a taxi each way plus you'll have about the same fare from southern cruise piers to ferry dock on Coz. Ferry will cost about $11 each way ($6 for children). I was under the impression that tickets for Xplor were around US$130 a person. Maybe US$ 85 for children under 16. And there are vendors on line who can arrange tours ( some directly with the park too) that include transportation. So add all that up and for 4 adults it's not a lot of savings to DIY. The park has a web site too.

But at the park, you are free to do what ever you want. So how much time it takes will depend on crowds and what you want to do.

All that, however, by taking the ship excursion you're assured of getting back to the ship before it leave. The ship will wait. Return ferries from Playa only run every other hour on the odd hour Coz time.

What ship are you on? Out of what US port? When are you sailing?

Times listed for Ferry are Cozumel time, which is now Eastern Standard, no day light savings. So if you are sailing after the first weekend of November when clocks change here, and you are out of an East Coast or Florida port and your ship stays on departure port time, the time will be the same. Otherwise, earlier, or after March or out of a Gulf Coast port , times may be different. But that would be the only caveat I can see.

You get to Playa around 10AM, Xplor by 10:30 A or so. Need to leave Xplor by 4PM to catch the 5PM ferry ( they can be sticklers in selling tickets if it's past departure time even though the ferry may still be tied up, so get back there early).

I'm only aware of 2 passenger ferries. There is an auto ferry but it's schedule is different.

What ship are you on? Out of what US port? When are you sailing?

Times listed for Ferry are Cozumel time, which is now Eastern Standard, no day light savings. So if you are sailing after the first weekend of November when clocks change here, and you are out of an East Coast or Florida port and your ship stays on departure port time, the time will be the same. Otherwise, earlier, or after March or out of a Gulf Coast port , times may be different. But that would be the only caveat I can see.

You get to Playa around 10AM, Xplor by 10:30 A or so. Need to leave Xplor by 4PM to catch the 5PM ferry ( they can be sticklers in selling tickets if it's past departure time even though the ferry may still be tied up, so get back there early).

I'm only aware of 2 passenger ferries. There is an auto ferry but it's schedule is different.

Agree with Crew need to take into account ship time and local time. The auto ferry is of no use totally different locations.

That said I would never do a mainland tour from Cozumel other than through the ship's tours. I spent two weeks in a hotel opposite the cruise ship pier and saw way too many times the ship leaving late after waiting for the arrival of the dedicated ferry.

Relying on the general ferry and taxi back to pier if docked at Puerto Maya or International, way too much hassle. I would save the theme parks for land vacations on the mainland. Not sure about Xplor but I have done Xcaret from a land vacation and I know I would have felt far too rushed on a ship excursion to enjoy it.