Embarking in Brooklyn

rsail203

We are first time Cunard cruisers going to the Caribbean on Nov. 26th. What time should we arrive at the pier? What time can we board? What time will cabins be ready? What time will we get our luggage? I realize that every cruise is different, but I'm just trying to get a general idea. Thank you in advance for any info.

Rich

Hi rsail. Welcome.

Your e-ticket will show your boarding time.

No one boards before noon.

You can show up early and wait to board, or you can just stroll right on around 2pm.

Although we have priority boarding because of our past passenger status, we usually arrive sometime between 1pm and 3pm. Never had to wait, and our luggage arrived in our stateroom either before or shortly after we arrived.

I haven't heard anyone say their cabin wasn't ready when the boarded as early a noon.

Many passengers want to board as early as possible, so no one should complain if there is a huge waiting line in the Red Hook Terminal around noon. Just sayin':cool:

we took a cab...mistake as we had to hail on the street...car service will pick you up at your hotel

good thing we did was take a printout of instrucitons to the port...our cab driver had never been to port of Red Hook..to make it worse there was construction and there were detours ..signage for which was really poor....our having google map printed out helped our guy get us there

I recommend that you show up no earlier than the scheduled time on your boarding information. Otherwise you might have to wait and the Red Hook terminal is not very glamorous. Once you board, go have something to eat, wander around the ship to get acquainted, and by the time you've done that, your luggage will probably have been delivered, and you can go from there. Never ever had any problems with delays in having my cabin ready.

Cunard has all the rooms ready before passengers board, so it isn't one of the cruise lines that has you wait in public areas before you are allowed to go to your stateroom. This is one of the (many) things we love about Cunard.

DH and I drive from afar (and have parked at the dock for a month), so we have latitude in determining our arrival time. I realize it can be difficult, when you are depending on transport from others or have to consider check-out time in a hotel. IF you arrive earlier than the time indicated on your boarding pass, Cunard will let you join boarders scheduled for that time. But, honestly, from 12 to 1 o'clock is a zoo---the most crowded and busy time for boarding. It would be better to arrange a later hotel check-out time and come when it would be less stressful.

Our experiences included varied times our luggage was delivered. This isn't something predictable, but it was always there well before dinner. We love exploring the ship in the interval between boarding and lifeboat drill and have never lacked sufficient time to unpack before first seating, sometimes before the drill and sometimes after it.

There will be a half-bottle of something bubbly in your cabin, compliments of Cunard. No one on this board is enthusiastic about drinking it, but the gesture is nice.

Since you have cruised on other lines, you will find much that is familiar. But, the Queen Mary 2 is a special ship. I can't imagine that you won't enjoy your time sailing on her.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Jimmybean

You can arrive earlier than the time on your ticket but there's no benefit to arriving much before 12:30. There is literally nothing offered or for sale to eat or drink if you're not Platinum or Diamond or in a suite so it's not very pleasant to sit and wait.

We save the French bubbly for mimosas. It's more tolerable with orange juice.

Edited by Underwatr

There is actually a small stand in the back that sells sodas and juice..and agree very much its nothing but a big windowless warehouse and I have always disliked it as QM2 SHOULD be sailing out of the west side piers!

The entire experience would be enhanced with the sail-away down the Hudson..The west side piers have been rebuilt and have big windows to look out at the ships and NYC skyline...of course the extension of pier 92 never happened so Qm2 sticks out into the Hudson and that's not acceptable to the coast guard on a regular basis....icon8.gif

There is actually a small stand in the back that sells sodas and juice.
Sort of behind where the check-in desks are, by the pre-boarding waiting seats? I know there's a stand there but I've never seen it open.

Or is it located somewhere else?

We rather like the Brooklyn terminal - there are no bridges or tunnels between the driveway and the terminal poking lot.

We come prepared to wait a a couple of hours if needed, with books, magazines or a kindle in the carry ons - but usually the wait has been quite short.

Sort of behind where the check-in desks are, by the pre-boarding waiting seats? I know there's a stand there but I've never seen it open.

Or is it located somewhere else?

Its in the general waiting area back by the restrooms..its really no more than a counter top with the guy selling a small selection of snack and drink items