Port fees, taxes and gratuity charge.

kirtens

Hi all. So, just planning my budget for the 7 day Feb cruise on the Eurodam.

In addition to the advertised cruise price, my TA also charged me $399 for 'Port fees, taxes and gratuities', described as an 'NDA'.

This is all fine, (although it seems strange that port fees are just not included..!).

I just want to check that the 'gratuities' part is equivalent to what I have read on here as 'service charge'?

Because I have now paid this, there are no other 'compulsory' daily tipping charges coming my way, right? Other than extra tips I would choose to give for great service. I'm totally new to this.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All cruise lines charge for port fees and taxes -- those are regulated by the individual ports. Those fee pay for the people who help tie up the ship, the local authorities who come onto the ship, etc.

As to the Hotel Service Charge, on HAL we have never been able to pre pay it. Each evening it is it is added onto your shipboard account.

If you buy drinks, sodas, beer, wine, bottles of water, etc., a 15% gratuity will be added onto those bills.

We do tip extra to those people whom we feel has made our cruise special. You do not have to do that if you don't want to.

Not sure why your TA said that your gratuities are prepaid in that $399.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

I too have never seen gratuities added in to the pre-paid port charges and fees. The port charges and fees are normally in addition to the cruise fare (here in the states and most other countries) as they are government charges for use of the port. They do change occasionally and we've been refunded the difference when over-charged and had the difference added to our on board account when under-charged. Doesn't seem to happen very often though and is usually a small amount either way. It does seem more rare to be under-charged by the cruise line.

I would ask the TA what gratuities are being paid in the $399 amount. That way you'll know for sure. Perhaps "NDA" stands for "Non Discountable Amount" as those charges can't be "discounted" like a fare can. If the gratuities are indeed now paid, there are no further "compulsory" charges.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Thanks guys. I think this is actually a unique case because it's a one off Charter of the Eurodam. My TA confirmed that although some cruise lines charge per day, this travel company collects it in advance. I'm happy with that!

Edited by kirtens

Thanks guys. I think this is actually a unique case because it's a one off Charter of the Eurodam. My TA confirmed that although some cruise lines charge per day, this travel company collects it in advance. I'm happy with that!

Sounds more reasonable to me.