Which NY Terminal QE Jan 2017

Lazy Sailor

Hi,

I’ve arrived on QE several times on the Westside at 50th St.; I live in Manhattan so that alone is great. If you’re not familiar with Manhattan, the theater and extensive restaurant districts are straight ahead. There will be taxis but if you’re overnighting, a car hire to take you wherever you want to go won’t set you back a great deal, and they’ll bring you back to the pier however late you want to stay out. If you’re on the World Cruise you'll be arriving in January and it might be extremely cold. As John Maxtone-Graham said, there are few colder winds than those that blow off the North River(Hudson) in winter. ;)

We arrived on QE (in 2012 I think) at Pier 84 at Manhattan and we docked overnight.

What a terrific entrance to the city sailing up the Hudson, I almost felt sorry for the poor folks on QM2 who have to dock at Red Hook and haul their way to the heart of the city. Sailing out the next evening was equally impressive.

Standing on the top deck at night you get a great view of Manhattan's skyline, during the day it's an easy walk through Hell's Kitchen to the heart of the action. Look to the right and there's the USS Intrepid, complete with planes, helicopters, a submarine, a Concorde and now even a space shuttle.

My only word of caution was the immigration, which was a disaster. Everyone, even those who were not planning to go ashore had to get off, line up and get their fingerprints done, which presumably had some important purpose not necessary anywhere else in the free world. We were to step off at times scheduled by deck (not grade or loyalty, which was good to my mind). But it rapidly went pear shaped and there were repeated announcements not to even try to get off at your allotted time. By the time we reached the gangplank the queues were fifty to a hundred yards long and people had been standing there for approaching an hour. People booked on tours that morning were no luckier and even when we cleared the desks there were tour buses stacked up waiting for outstanding pax stuck in the line.

Maybe some of it was the usual suspects who can't stick to the rules for the benefit of everyone, but a large element was the unnecessary level of scrutiny and the slowness it casued. By contrast, when we moved up the coast to our first Canadian stop I was the only person that immigration was remotely interested in; and that was only to point out that my shoelace was undone and I was about to face plant. Other than that, cheery smiles and we were ashore within minutes.

My advice - book your tours on day two as we did and inadvertently got very lucky. Use the first day for more flexible activities.

Can anyone please confirm which NY terminal the QE will arrive at on January 15th 2017? The NYCruise website schedule shows Manhattan - is that data reliable?

Queen Elizabeth AND Norwegian Breakaway are scheduled to dock in Manhattan on 15th January 2017