New iphone and ships wifi

OK, just got the new iphone 7. I am with ATT and I talked to ATT about how to use wifi calling. To bad the lady wasnt really clear or sure on how to use it.

Can anyone tell me if they have used wifi calling while on the ship?? HOw do I do it?? Just make a regular call?? I plan on putting phone in airplane mode and using imessages. But if I can and its free, may make a couple calls also.

The other question she couldn't answer was if this was only iphone to iphone. Or can it be used with any phone that has wifi calling. And how do I find out what phone have it??

Sorry for all the questions, but I trust the people on here that have already used it more than the people in ATT tech support.

I am just buying he surf package, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

I have an android and use wifi calling regularly. On my phone you will get a different indicator when you are using wifi calling so that you know it is not cellular. You can use it to call any phone. It's basically VOIP. I'm looking forward to testing it on my next cruise.

I have an android and use wifi calling regularly. On my phone you will get a different indicator when you are using wifi calling so that you know it is not cellular. You can use it to call any phone. It's basically VOIP. I'm looking forward to testing it on my next cruise.

So even land lines phones??

And what about incoming??

OK, just got the new iphone 7. I am with ATT and I talked to ATT about how to use wifi calling. To bad the lady wasnt really clear or sure on how to use it.

Can anyone tell me if they have used wifi calling while on the ship?? HOw do I do it?? Just make a regular call?? I plan on putting phone in airplane mode and using imessages. But if I can and its free, may make a couple calls also.

The other question she couldn't answer was if this was only iphone to iphone. Or can it be used with any phone that has wifi calling. And how do I find out what phone have it??

Sorry for all the questions, but I trust the people on here that have already used it more than the people in ATT tech support.

I am just buying he surf package, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

You have to enable WiF calling on your phone. It's not an instantaneous process, you have to answer some questions about handing 911 calls and it takes a minute or so before it gets enabled. It will say "AT&T WiFi" on the top line once it's enabled.

Once WiFi calling is enabled, you can put the phone in Airplane mode, turn on WiFi, and use all the features of the phone as if you are connected to the US domestic cell network.

You have to enable WiF calling on your phone. It's not an instantaneous process, you have to answer some questions about handing 911 calls and it takes a minute or so before it gets enabled. It will say "AT&T WiFi" on the top line once it's enabled.

Once WiFi calling is enabled, you can put the phone in Airplane mode, turn on WiFi, and use all the features of the phone as if you are connected to the US domestic cell network.

Yes and yes.

You guys are awesome. Thanks. Much more info in 2 minutes than my 20 min on the phone with ATT.

They did walk me thru turning on ATT Wifi. So I am good to go there.

So are you saying you would do the set up at home before leaving on trip and then just switch to airplane mode and then turn on WIFI when you are on the ship?

Yes, I'd set it up at home. That way if there are any issues, you can more easily call the carrier for help.

So are you saying you would do the set up at home before leaving on trip and then just switch to airplane mode and then turn on WIFI when you are on the ship?

You should go through the process of putting an address in and agreeing to the 911 statement prior to sailing, so it will be done. Once on the ship, just turn on wifi calling, that is already set up, and you will be good to go.

If you go into wifi calling on your phone, you will see what we are talking about.

Here are the steps you need to take:

At home:

1. Enable WiFi Calling. Settings -> Phone Enable Wi-Fi Calling. You might need to supply your emergency address.

You can test this by setting the phone to Airplane mode, then re-enabling WiFi in settings. You should be able to browse the internet, and the message at the top left should say 'AT&T WiFi' Make a test call to verify it is working.

On the cruise ship:

1. Set Airplane mode to On

2. Enble WiFi and login to the ship's WiFi.

3. Wait for the top left to say 'AT&T WiFi'

You can make and receive calls for free now.

I just got the new version of Android software (6.01) on my older AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5. It enabled WiFi calling!

The reason I mention this, is I seem to remember in the terms of service, free calls/texts that you make internationally are only to the USA. You cannot call another country from outside of the USA (for free). So that would eliminate calls within the ship.

I don't remember about incoming calls. I'm sure they would work USA to USA but you need to check on USA to International, or on ship.

Might want to check with AT&T before you sail.

Enjoy your cruise.

I just got the new version of Android software (6.01) on my older AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5. It enabled WiFi calling!

The reason I mention this, is I seem to remember in the terms of service, free calls/texts that you make internationally are only to the USA. You cannot call another country from outside of the USA (for free). So that would eliminate calls within the ship.

I don't remember about incoming calls. I'm sure they would work USA to USA but you need to check on USA to International, or on ship.

Might want to check with AT&T before you sail.

Enjoy your cruise.

Not sure what you mean by this, but when you make a call via WiFi calling, you are calling as if you are in the US, no matter where you actually are. So you can make and receive calls from the ship. You can also call other phones connected via WiFi calling, no matter where they are.

You don't need wifi to make calls unless you want to use the Internet or apps

Not quite sure I understand your point?

But you can use free WiFi in port to make free calls/texts. Also if you have purchased WiFi on the ship you have the added benefit of calls/texts without using an app.

Edited by steveru621
spelling

Not sure what you mean by this, but when you make a call via WiFi calling, you are calling as if you are in the US, no matter where you actually are. So you can make and receive calls from the ship. You can also call other phones connected via WiFi calling, no matter where they are.

Bob, I hear you. It's just nagging me that AT&T placed restrictions on International calls. Memory of the terms of service are fuzzy.

I'll have to Google it.

Not quite sure I understand your point?

But you can use free WiFi in port to make free calls/texts. Also if you have purchased WiFi on the ship you have the added benefit of calls/texts without using an app.

Unless something has changed, we have never had to buy wifi to make calls or text on the ship or in port. Data roaming off and call/text. It's generally called pay as you go

Edited by setsail

Bob, I hear you. It's just nagging me that AT&T placed restrictions on International calls. Memory of the terms of service are fuzzy.

I'll have to Google it.

You will be charged for calling someone outside the US just as if you were in the US using the cell network. However, you won't be charged for calling someone in the US.

Edited by clarea

From the AT&T website. I think I'm half right.

HOW IT WORKS

Calling and texting with Wi-Fi Calling

Wi-Fi Calling is available on select devices. Once you set up Wi-Fi Calling on your phone, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits. Just follow the steps in your phone’s settings to get started. Wi-Fi Calling billing is based on the number being called or messaged and is the same no matter where the Wi-Fi network connection is made.

Calling

• You can make calls to domestic numbers and receive calls with no additional charge and no impact on voice call airtime usage.

For international calls, the rates from your calling plan or international long distance package apply.

• Your calls to premium numbers such as 411 will be billed at standard premium rates.

Texting

• Text messages you send or receive with Wi-Fi Calling count the same as regular text messages. You will be charged according to your current rate plan.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

Okay, so I think you all are saying that you can call a US # and not be charged regardless of where that person is? If you call an international phone # from your # you will be charged. Same as if I was sitting on my couch at home making phone calls? Can you receive normal phone calls from home when you have the WIFI calling on?

Unless something has changed, we have never had to buy wifi to make calls or text on the ship or in port. Data roaming off and call/text. It's generally called pay as you go

That's true, but now you have access to free WiFi calls/texts. If you have access to WiFi (free or paid) you don't have to pay per minute or per text. Even with data roaming off.

Okay, so I think you all are saying that you can call a US # and not be charged regardless of where that person is? If you call an international phone # from your # you will be charged. Same as if I was sitting on my couch at home making phone calls? Can you receive normal phone calls from home when you have the WIFI calling on?

If I'm reading this correctly.

You can make calls to domestic numbers and receive calls with no additional charge and no impact on voice call airtime usage.

That's the way I read it too. Yes, you can receive all calls with WiFi calling on.

Yes, and the cost is very high. That's using the Cellular at Sea service through the ship and, depending on your carrier, can cost about $2.99 per minute for a call. WiFi calling just uses whatever data you have purchased on the ship so likely will cost much less. If you're using free WiFi in a port there's no cost (subject to some exceptions for international calling and other premium services as noted by PPs).

That's true, but now you have access to free WiFi calls/texts. If you have access to WiFi (free or paid) you don't have to pay per minute or per text. Even with data roaming off.

We have never had a reason to use the ships wifi even though we get some off if we want. Just don't need it. Our bills for a 7day run about 15/18$ more on our bill.