Mattress surprise...

SPacificbound

We are currently on Queen Mary 2 crossing to Southampton.

The first night we went to bed and I noticed the bed was not as comfortable as the one we had in July which is down just a few cabins.

By the time I decided I couldn't tolerate it any longer, DH was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him. I took the three big square pillows and laid them out along my side of the bed and decided that would have to do for the night.

In the morning I pulled all off the bedding down off the mattress and discovered I had been trying to sleep on mattress coils.

About that time our state room attendant came by and saw the bedding all pulled and asked if there was a problem. I showed him the coils and he said "the contractor put this mattress the wrong way!" I had kind of figured that out about 1:00AM. He turned it over and marveled that the mattresses had been put in the cabins in April and no one had apparently noticed until now.

Very good service of course.

It is cold and very windy, a couple of decks were closed this evening due to wind.

The first night we went to bed and I noticed the bed was not as comfortable as the one we had in July which is down just a few cabins.

By the time I decided I couldn't tolerate it any longer, DH was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him. I took the three big square pillows and laid them out along my side of the bed and decided that would have to do for the night.

In the morning I pulled all off the bedding down off the mattress and discovered I had been trying to sleep on mattress coils.

About that time our state room attendant came by and saw the bedding all pulled and asked if there was a problem. I showed him the coils and he said "the contractor put this mattress the wrong way!" I had kind of figured that out about 1:00AM. He turned it over and marveled that the mattresses had been put in the cabins in April and no one had apparently noticed until now.

It is cold and very windy, a couple of decks were closed this evening due to wind.

Sorry, but thanks for your post. Contemporaneous comments are very important.

Edited by Salacia

I would have questioned How good the steward actually was and why he had not noticed when stripping down the bed to change the bed twice each week ?

On the Cunard sealy mattresses it is easy to see which side you should be sleeping on.

I would have questioned How good the steward actually was and why he had not noticed when stripping down the bed to change the bed twice each week ?

On the Cunard sealy mattresses it is easy to see which side you should be sleeping on.

I thought similar at first Pennbank, but it is possible that it was his first evening with this block of cabins, the bed having been made that morning by a different steward. Change-over of crew and all that.

Of course this doesn't say much for the previous steward, if the suggestion above is correct.

A mystery eh?

This got me thinking. Our mattresses have always been two sided: they need turning maybe at six month intervals. Never been offered a one sided one at all.

It's safe to assume that Cunard don't buy the top line mattresses.

I found this interesting. https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/one-sided-mattresses-2/

David.

There are construction differences between domestic mattresses and those intended for hotel (and ship) use (at least in the UK). Not only because of differing fire regulations for domestic v commercial mattresses, but also because hotel mattresses get a much harder life.

Whereas a domestic mattress is changed on average every 10 to 12 years, good hotels will change a mattress every 3 to 5.

Therefore I can see good reason for hotels (and cruise lines) to order bespoke mattresses made to their specifications, one way up only (but the steward could occasionally "spin" the mattress head to toe).

Even market leading mattress manufacturers (far above Sealy) routinely make "one way up" mattresses for use in very expensive yachts, and also small boats, and caravans/motorhomes. It is nothing unusual.

Edited by pepperrn

There are several companies that sell to the domestic market that are only now made One sided with recommendation to head to tail mattress every month or two.

The Cunard Mattress is on sale to the home market here

https://shop.sealy.co.uk/cunard/

Also many Hotel mattresses are available to be bought for the home market.

http://www.sleepeezee.co.uk/travelodge

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

Edited by Pennbank

There are several companies that sell to the domestic market that are only now made One sided with recommendation to head to tail mattress every month or two.

The Cunard Mattress is on sale to the home market here

https://shop.sealy.co.uk/cunard/

Also many Hotel mattresses are available to be bought for the home market.

http://www.sleepeezee.co.uk/travelodge

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

Wow, I am surprised having checked out those links.

Mattress are so important. After our time on Oceania Riviera, earlier this year, we fell in love with their mattress. They also promote its sale on board...

27396046232_537eeb630f_z.jpg

So we bought one and, because we were in the UK, it was made to order and shipped from Italy: a Prestige Tranquility by Matermoll

30020538430_ed3e4427bc_z.jpg

We love it. Pure night heaven. Come on Cunard.

Well a Sealy Cunard king size retails in UK at £600. I would certainly expect to pay a lot more than that for a decent mattress at home. David.
Just what I was thinking balf.

Three times that amount as a starting point for a decent quality mattress, and go up from there...

I wonder how much the Sealy mattresses cost Cunard? Given that £600 is a retail price for one, and Cunard would bulk-buy by the thousand...

Well a Sealy Cunard king size retails in UK at £600. I would certainly expect to pay a lot more than that for a decent mattress at home.

David.

Although the balcony cabin description does say "king size" bed, it is actually two twins of course since they can be separate or together. Therefore DH was sleeping away on his mattress which was on the correct side. :)

It's also possible the problem was caused by an over-eager new steward's helper who decided to turn the mattress, but was interrupted before he could turn the second one. (Yes, I'm clutching at straws, trying to work out how come so many people had slept on it without complaining.)

I'm not sure if it is the Cunard mattress that I find comfortable or what I suspect to be a mattress topper, adding that extra layer of softness.