Are RCCL beds as uncomfortable as I've heard?

Hello, all!

We're considering booking a Grand Suite on Vision of the Seas, but I've read some posts and reviews that have mentioned that the beds are VERY uncomfortable. We value comfortable beds and good nights' sleep, so we're a bit concerned.

Can any of you recent Vision cruisers verify whether the mattresses are still uncomfortable or if they have been upgraded and improved? Many of the comments I read were a bit old, so perhaps things have improved.

I've also read that Vision is going into Dry Dock -- will improvements such as upgraded mattresses perhaps occur during that time?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies!

We were on Voyager in Sept. We found the bed to be very comfortable. I've heard people complain that they can feel the "crack" in the center where the two beds are put together. I have to aay we did not feel it at all, even when I tried to find it. I noticed that our room steward had doubled up the mattress pad in that area so maybe that was the key.

I have a very nice pillow top matress at home. On every RCI cruise we've sailed on I've slept very well and not awakened with back problems.

To some extent this seems unusual as the beds are nothing more than a thin foam matress on hard plastic.

I, personally, had problems both times with the beds. They were a little too soft for my taste. I would rate them as very comfortable, but not supportive. I woke-up each morning with progressively worse backaches.

Here's my disclaimer: I have Degenerative Disc Disease and arthritis of the spine. So, my back is much more tender than just about anyone else's, I would bet.

I too think that the beds are not the greatest in the world, especially since my bed at home is the best bed in the world. But comfortable or not, I never have trouble sleeping on a cruise ship. Just being on the ship and feeling the swaying motion makes me sleep like a little baby. I think that is why so many sleep so well. Its not cause the bed is comfortable, cause its not. Its the motion of the ocean.:D

I too think that the beds are not the greatest in the world, especially since my bed at home is the best bed in the world. But comfortable or not, I never have trouble sleeping on a cruise ship. Just being on the ship and feeling the swaying motion makes me sleep like a little baby. I think that is why so many sleep so well. Its not cause the bed is comfortable, cause its not. Its the motion of the ocean.:D

I have never had a complaint about any bed on any cruiseline that I have been on. I sleep better on a ship than at home. Maybe its the movement, best nights sleep I ever had. Didn't find any mattress uncomfortable. My DH has a bad back, and never a complaint from him.

I had trouble sleeping on my recent Jewel of the Seas cruise. My cabin stewardess couldn't find any extra eggcrates, so she added three blankets under my sheet. It helped a little, but not enough. Some people love the FIRM mattresses, but I sleep on my side/tummy and found it difficult. I don't recall any problems when I sailed on Vision. Maybe the mattesses on Vision were different. or perhaps older than Jewel's.

First I should say that I rarely sleep well on the beds in any hotel or cruise ship. Therefore, I bring an egg crate of my own on my cruises. You can buy them at Wal-Mart for less than $10.00! I just buy one twin size and stretch it across the bed from our necks to our thighs. Works perfect.

If I know I can stop on my way to the ship, I buy it near the port. If not, I bring it with me from home. You would not believe how much air you can squeeze outta those babies! I put it in the top of one of my luggage bags.

Okay, secret # 2: (no flames, please ... we still spend PLENTY on the ship!) I bring one carryon size suitcase. At the port I fill it with a RCL prohibited adult beverage and squeeze the eggcrate down on the top. That way the carryon bag has protection on all four sides. I check the bag when we board the ship. Now I have a nice comfy bed and uncrushed cans!!!

With that combination I sleep very well, thank you!

I usually leave it there, so, I have extra room in my luggage on the way home. One of the best 10 vacation dollars I ever spend!

Archived