Are RCCL beds as uncomfortable as I've heard?

Here's my disclaimer: I have Degenerative Disc Disease and arthritis of the spine. So, my back is much more tender than just about anyone else's, I would bet.
Yep...me too as do most of us after turning 45. ;)

Both HAL and Princess have new fancy Beautyrest/Sealy mattresses, however I must say that I sleep better on the RCCL foam mattresses (no back aches.) I have a Tempurpedic at home. Now, I do usually sleep well most nights on any cruise. On our last cruise, we had the new Beautyrest and duvets (Princess.) I didn't sleep too well on two of the 12 nights we cruised. The first was the first night when we didn't have enough covers and the ship was vibrating. The other night was when we didn't have wine with dinner. :D

Hello, all!

We're considering booking a Grand Suite on Vision of the Seas, but I've read some posts and reviews that have mentioned that the beds are VERY uncomfortable. We value comfortable beds and good nights' sleep, so we're a bit concerned.

Can any of you recent Vision cruisers verify whether the mattresses are still uncomfortable or if they have been upgraded and improved? Many of the comments I read were a bit old, so perhaps things have improved.

I've also read that Vision is going into Dry Dock -- will improvements such as upgraded mattresses perhaps occur during that time?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies!

No... No... don't know

I agree with most of the comments here - we were on the Radiance and felt the bed was a bit on the hard side. Unfortunately, I did not know that you can ask for an egg crate cover, so we made do with what we had.

The pull out sofa was a total disaster - WAAAY to hard and WAAAY to short.

We were on Voyager in Sept. We found the bed to be very comfortable. I've heard people complain that they can feel the "crack" in the center where the two beds are put together. I have to aay we did not feel it at all, even when I tried to find it. I noticed that our room steward had doubled up the mattress pad in that area so maybe that was the key.

That was our problem. We sailed on the Mariner and after a few days the bar...its not a crack, its an actual bar because it is where the two frames meet...was really bothersome. I can sleep anywhere so it didn't bother me as much, I just stayed way on the edge but by the end of the cruise my DH was getting no sleep. Plus, it was our honeymoon so it would have been nice to be able to cuddle a little :) but in their defense...we didn't ask them to rectify the situation because we didn't know they could so we just lived with it.

IMHO Carnival has the most comfortable beds that I have come across on a ship. They are now selling the entire bedding system. The upgraded sheets, pillow and duvets are very nice. They started with the Fantasy two years ago installing this entire system fleet wide.

http://carnivalcomfortbed.com/

I think RCI should definitely upgrade their beds and bedding. Look at the chain hotels, Sheraton's sweet sleeper bed, Radisson and now the Marriott is jumping on the comfy bed bandwagon. Reality is, consumers want comfortable beds - we all know how important a good night's sleep is especially after a long day sipping Coco Loco's ;) But seriously, the bed on our cruise was the worst part of the trip - the mattress was hard and thin. Surely RCI will see the necessity of better beds if enough of us complain about them......I can hope can't I? :rolleyes:

RCCL has, without a doubt, the worst beds at sea. We have just returned from the Navigator of the Seas.....having spent a week in a miserable bed! Not only is there a hard bar in the middle....the thin, worn out mattress sags in the middle. This was confirmed when we viewed our photos. I took some photos of the "towel creatures" made by the cabin guy....and you can see the sagging bed. I took a pain pill at night so that I could get upright in the morning.....the bed is so horrid! Never again will we sail on this line until they upgrade the mattresses. The next worse is Princess, but even they seem luxurious next to RCCL. The best were on HAL.

Archived