Southern Caribbean with Preschool kids

Good Morning everyone! We booked our first cruise with our kids last night! I'm excited to introduce my little girls to cruising. We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas June 3rd out of San Juan. Can anyone recommend any excursions that would be good for the littles. They will be 3 and 5 at the time. There is a catamaran excursion that says is family friendly but I wasn't so sure. I called last night and the guy on the phone told me all of the excursions were appropriate for young children but I know thats not true.

Would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks so much! :)

We have done catamaran snorkel tours with our young children and they loved it.

I would always suggest simple beach days and resort day passes as great options. Can't go wrong with those! We have also done island tours that include frequent stops and time at the beach.

If you haven't already done so, I would highly suggest you check out the Family Board for LOTS of great tips and info on cruising with kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Also check out the Ports of Call Boards for your specific ports. You will find lots of great excursion info on there too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Have a great 1st cruise...I'm sure you all will be addicted like the rest of us!

Edited by tropiclvrs

Give us your specific ports.:)

The Silver Moon catamaran in Barbados is AWESOME. They do some snorkeling the kids couldn't participate in but they might still like the boat trip and get in the water with life vests.

We are going to Phillipsburg, St Maarten, Basseterre, St. Kitts, St. John's, Antigua, Castries, St. Lucia, Bridgetown, Barbados

We have done catamaran snorkel tours with our young children and they loved it.

I would always suggest simple beach days and resort day passes as great options. Can't go wrong with those! We have also done island tours that include frequent stops and time at the beach.

If you haven't already done so, I would highly suggest you check out the Family Board for LOTS of great tips and info on cruising with kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Also check out the Ports of Call Boards for your specific ports. You will find lots of great excursion info on there too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Have a great 1st cruise...I'm sure you all will be addicted like the rest of us!

Thank you great advice!!! I appreciate it. Im hoping to get my girls addicted from an early age just like I did!!!

We prefer the true southern route to yours, but your ports should still be good for the kids. Most have beaches that should interest them. Avoid long bus rides in St Lucia - twisty roads.

We're not fond of the beach in town in St Maarten - lots of glass and nails when we were last there. Beaches on the west side of the island near Maho are nice and sandy.

We've been on a number of 4x4 trips with smaller kids and for the most part they were bored. They just perked up when we hit the beaches.

Some ship excursions might not allow kids as young as yours - you may need to go with local operators. Don't be afraid of tours like the Barbados Beach Break. Little shack/bar on the beach but the beach itself is beautiful and safe.

In San Juan we prefer to stay in the hotels near the airport (Isla Verde area) instead of Condado or in town. More like Florida tourist area with fast food outlets, beaches are inside a reef and very clean. Not sure the kids would like the forts - lots of walking in a very hot area.

Cabs are around $23 between ship and airport - a dispatcher fills out the form and gives it to the driver and picks the size vehicle you need.

All luggage has to go through an agricultural xray before you check in at the San Juan airport. You must declare all food there (things like cheese are ok but must be declared). And they won't let you check bags until 4 hours before your flight home - so it might not be a bad idea to plan a hotel stay AFTER your cruise. Our flights typically are 7-9 hours after getting off the cruise and there is nowhere to sit outside of security at the airport. Not much room inside security, either.

Check the port boards for the various places you are going and the San Juan board for other info.

I would bring life vests for the girls if going on a catamaran, or even just in the water. Then you won't have to worry about trying to find one that fits right and you'll definitely have one for each of them.

Yes, I think you can bring the ones that the ship has available with you. However, the catamaran tour company will have child life vests available as it's a requirement/law.

. I called last night and the guy on the phone told me all of the excursions were appropriate for young children but I know thats not true.

QUOTE]

Why do you think its "not true"?

Especially if they told you it is ok for kids......

Yes, I think you can bring the ones that the ship has available with you. However, the catamaran tour company will have child life vests available as it's a requirement/law.

I doubt the cruise line will knowingly let one take their life vests off the ship.....

We went on a snorkeling/catameran with our kids when they were 9/5 and the seas were somewhat choppy and all I did was worry the entire time we were snorkeling about my kids.Life vest or not,we were snorkeling and like I said it got pretty choppy,water going over their heads,coughing etc... Couldnt wait to get back on boat and relieve my stress..Wasnt fun.... Shouldve just done a local beach snorkle.... Jmo

. I called last night and the guy on the phone told me all of the excursions were appropriate for young children but I know thats not true.

QUOTE]

Why do you think its "not true"?

Especially if they told you it is ok for kids......

I know its not true because I know my 3 year old is much too young to zip line and snorkel. I think he was just ready to get off the phone with me. I'd ask him about a billion questions! :)

We went on a snorkeling/catameran with our kids when they were 9/5 and the seas were somewhat choppy and all I did was worry the entire time we were snorkeling about my kids.Life vest or not,we were snorkeling and like I said it got pretty choppy,water going over their heads,coughing etc... Couldnt wait to get back on boat and relieve my stress..Wasnt fun.... Shouldve just done a local beach snorkle.... Jmo

I think we will just stick to beach trips! Im just glad to be getting away and back to cruising! We haven't been on a cruise since my girls have been born! :p