Seabourn or RSSC Explorer for first time cruisers

HongKongAlan

Sorry everyone but the quote function isn't working for me. Referring to Travelcat2's post above :

"Smoking will be allowed in the following designated areas on Seabourn ships:

On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 (Seabourn Encore Deck 10) including the bar stools."

TC2, you said the areas you had bolded would be of particular concern to you. I understand about the e-cigs - although with many nights on Seabourn I've never been aware of anyone smoking them onboard. But can you explain why this that I've quoted bothers you?

Simply because the person next to you can be smoking. Either the entire bar should be smoking or none of it. This reminds me of the days when half of a restaurant was smoking and the other half wasn't. No one learned how to teach the smoke not the cross the "line" and the closer one was to that line the more smoke they could smell. If I had no choice other than to be sitting next to real cigarettes or e-cigs, I would pick e-cigs.

Simply because the person next to you can be smoking. Either the entire bar should be smoking or none of it. This reminds me of the days when half of a restaurant was smoking and the other half wasn't. No one learned how to teach the smoke not the cross the "line" and the closer one was to that line the more smoke they could smell. If I had no choice other than to be sitting next to real cigarettes or e-cigs, I would pick e-cigs.

It's an outdoor bar on an open deck so I really don't think it can be compared to indoors in a restaurant.

It's situated on the deck above the pool deck. There are only a very few bar stools so most people choose to sit on the more comfortable seats in the area, or if someone desperately wants to sit on a bar stool they can go to the pool bar directly below.

No smoking is allowed on the pool deck itself so the pool bar is smoke free as is the whole pool deck.

I thought Regent - on the older ships - had an open air smoking area actually on the pool deck and at least one other outdoor area where half is designated for smoking. Is this not correct? How does Regent stop the smoke crossing the line in those places? I haven't yet sailed on Regent so I don't know for sure but this was my understanding.

Save

Regent is confusing me on their smoking policy...I'm an occasional cigar smoker (more so on vacations) and Regent eliminated the Connoisseur Club on Navigator on their latest refurb...but there's a CC on Explorer. Granted, space is at a premium on Nav, but still...

As I recall, you can smoke cigars or cigarettes in one corner of the pool deck (but no pipes) but nowhere inside, at least on Nav. Pipe smoking is allowed in the CC but not on the open decks. So I guess you're out of luck if you're a pipe smoker on Navigator. I think e-cigs are limited to the approved smoking areas on Regent.

I still wish they'd designate a cigar/pipe only area indoors, though. The last few times I sat in the CC, it was inundated with cigarette smokers rushing in for a quick butt...really changed the atmosphere (no pun intended) of the room.

I thought Regent - on the older ships - had an open air smoking area actually on the pool deck and at least one other outdoor area where half is designated for smoking. Is this not correct? How does Regent stop the smoke crossing the line in those places? I haven't yet sailed on Regent so I don't know for sure but this was my understanding.

Save

You are correct about Regent's ships (except the Explorer). This is why I know that, even though it is outdoors, when you have a lot of people smoking in one area, it is almost as uncomfortable as being inside. It was not a big deal for us as it is easy to avoid the area but there have been several complaints from passengers when they walked by the pool bar and the haze of smoke. As you may know, the Explorer has a glass enclosed area on the pool deck (enclosed on three sides plus a glass roof) to contain the smoke. It seems to work well and the smokers are able to see everything that is going on. It isn't far from the pool bar so they can sit in comfort - have a drink and not bother anyone.

Bill, I know that your concerns are not funny but, for some reason it makes me laugh. Cigar smokers complaining about cigarette smokers. Even when I smoked (20 years ago) being in a confined area with other smokers was gross and my clothes and hair would smell like smoke. I don't see why cigar smoking isn't permitted on the pool deck on the Explorer except that you would have to share the area with smokers.

I have sailed on both Seabourn (75 days) and Regent (45 days), with the most recent being onboard the Mariner this past Xmas. I must say I was extremely pleased with Seabourn’s announcement of significant changes to their smoking policy which includes banning it on cabin balconies and in the Observation Bar. Although they will continue to allow smoking on the starboard half of the open air Sky Bar and the outside terrace on the starboard side aft of Seabourn Square, these areas are very easily avoided. In my experience it is not quite so easy when it comes to avoiding the smoke on Regent pool decks, especially on sea days when lounge chairs are at a premium.

I am uncertain about e-cigs, as I have yet to come across anyone smoking them in my travels to-date.