A question, maybe for Canadian Cruisers?

MrsK

It's in USD...

Another question is -- is it better to prepay things in CDN (ie. tips, specialty restaurants...) or buy them onboard.

For instance, Chops is 55.86 pp in CDN (Anthem) but I think in USD it's $35 or 39 (anyone can confirm) which is a rate of $1.39+

It's in USD...

Another question is -- is it better to prepay things in CDN (ie. tips, specialty restaurants...) or buy them onboard.

For instance, Chops is 55.86 pp in CDN (Anthem) but I think in USD it's $35 or 39 (anyone can confirm) which is a rate of $1.39+

Yes, that's a component of a vacation that always has to be considered too.

Thanks for the information.

Different items to purchase through the cruise planner may have different exchange rates attached to them. You basically need to compare what you are paying in CDN to what you would pay in US$ on board and make your decision. Also if it something that is important than I suggest you book it ahead of time in case it is not offered or sold out once you board.

It's in USD...

Anthem would be at least $39. Oasis class is now $42 for Chops and I suspect Anthem would be the same.

Different items to purchase through the cruise planner may have different exchange rates attached to them. You basically need to compare what you are paying in CDN to what you would pay in US$ on board and make your decision. Also if it something that is important than I suggest you book it ahead of time in case it is not offered or sold out once you board.

Thank you.

I wasn't aware of the different exchange rates for different things. Will definitely check that out.

When you book a cruise and pay in Canadian dollars and receive an onboard credit, is that credit in Canadian or American dollars?

OBC is in USD on the ship. If you prepurchase OBC in Canadain it will converted to US on board. The pre purchase is at a fixed exchange rate.All on board charges are in USD.

It's in USD...

All on board charges are in USD dollars. You can do either. If you have a lot of OBC then board is better. If not then prepaying is better.

I always pre pay my gratuities and buy extra OBC which refundable.

OBC is in USD on the ship. If you prepurchase OBC in Canadain it will converted to US on board. The pre purchase is at a fixed exchange rate.All on board charges are in USD.

All on board charges are in USD dollars. You can do either. If you have a lot of OBC then board is better. If not then prepaying is better.

I always pre pay my gratuities and buy extra OBC which refundable.

Great information. Thank you for your help.

My cruise is booked in $CAD. All the items I see in the Cruise Planner are priced in $CAD. If one doesn't see the prices that way go back to the home page and in the upper right make sure the Country says Canada not United States.

The OBC we get from our US travel agent is in $USD. Anything we purchase on board is in $USD.

We prepay gratuities and drink packages in $CAD so our final bill is very small. We let our credit card handle the conversion from $USD to CAD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The NCL site will let you buy OBC and convert into CDN so you know how much you are paying.

I'm just curious if the pre-pay exchange rate is better than paying USD onboard.

Last year Royak was offering a great exchange rate for Canadians. You found buy $100 US for $110 CDN. As of January of this year they are now charging $140 CDN to buy $100US. The banks have a better rate.

On average cruises and items through the cruise planner are around a 1.3 exchange rate so a bit better than the bank.

Thank you.

I wasn't aware of the different exchange rates for different things. Will definitely check that out.

Pre paying - you are charged at the present rate. Sometimes that is good - For my last cruise I prepaid things when the Cdn rate was higher than at time of cruising so I was lucky. My bet is that the US$ might fall just before or after the election.

When you book a cruise and pay in Canadian dollars and receive an onboard credit, is that credit in Canadian or American dollars?

Obc is in us dollars. I found its always best to book using my amazon visa as it doesn't charge any currency fees. Often the Visa rate is much better than Royal's rate. In my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forums mobile app

The OBC is in USD. I check the exchange rate but it's normally better to prepay drink pkgs etc. When charged to my TD VISA prior to the cruise (paying from home), TD doesn't charge the 2.5 percent conversion fee that is charged if I settle account onboard with my VISA. I use OBC for photos, specialty restaurant or other onboard expenses. I accept that there is normally a difference between CAD and USD but it really bugs me if I have to pay a 2.5% bank fee.

I just looked at my reservation. Our charges are in CAD, but our onboard credit specifically states USD.

Your bill unless you will booked in the currency of country of residence. Any OBC given by the cruise line is in USD. If you buy OBC yourself . It will be charged to your in USD.

Princess sets the exchange rate for purchases bought in Canadian dollars.

Example : $100 USD obc is charged $130 CDN.

They use an exchange rate of 30%. The exchange rate is usually set semi annually.

Some cruise lines set this exchange weekly for cruise fares only. All other purchases are billed to your Credit card in USD. Then you pay the current exchange rate that your credit card charges.