celebrity ripoff!!!!!! Never Again

rt1092

RT,

If I understand correctly, you booked an assigned cabin onboard a RCCL ship. Then you transferred it to Expedia. They changed it to a GTY for you? If what I have written is correct, you weren't given wrong info by Celebrity or RCCL. With a cabin number, assuming the cabin held 3 people, RCCL told you the correct info. Expedia is the one who messed it up for you.

I have had trouble with Expedia myself, but it was on plane reservations. I ended up going to the attorney general of the state Expedia is in, (Not Washington state, I think it was Virginia or someplace in the south) and Expedia had to refund my money.

I too do all my own work in determining the cruise I will sail on, but then book it thru a TA. I also know if I find the price goes down, my agent will give me the lower price. She also sends us wine and on occassion sends us to the specialty restaurant at her expense.

I don't see why people won't use agents, especially if it costs them nothing. I don't think the cruise lines give you any better service just by booking with them and staying with them as opposed to transferring a booking to the TA.

I prefer an agency where I can talk to the agent, rather than just emailing, but that's my preference. A voice over the phone can answer questions more quickly and can also at times answer questions you haven't asked. That's just my opinion though.

Katie

A good TA is your safety net for those little things that you might not know. I too do all of my research and the agent we are using loves to cruise. Basically, I consider her our advocate. We have had a couple of problems with special services and she went to bat for us. Her agency does so much business with RCL they have some pull they can use on my behalf.

Again, just think of the TA as a safety net and it costs you nothing.

Next I'll try find a reliable TA Never again xpedia. Here in NYC though there are a lot of crooked agents. I used one years ago on a honeymoon and they booked a hotel room with 2 single beds in it.

Last Time I ever used them.

A good TA is your safety net for those little things that you might not know. I too do all of my research and the agent we are using loves to cruise. Basically, I consider her our advocate. We have had a couple of problems with special services and she went to bat for us. Her agency does so much business with RCL they have some pull they can use on my behalf.

A travel agent can also pose problems that would not occur if one booked directly with the cruise line. If you book directly with the cruise line and the price subsequently goes down, all you have to do is contact the cruise line and you will get that lower price. However, all changes must be made through your travel agent when you book a cruise from one, and if that travel agent doesn't take care of price decreases for you in a timely fashion you are out of luck. I know quite a few people who were victims of paying more than they should have because their travel agent did not act quickly enough when there was a price reduction. In fact, I know people who will only book directly with the cruise line because of such problems.

Jumbie - It used to be so but it isn't anymore by the way you said your girlfriend wanted that job after she is finished playing with the kids?? What is she a trained Travel Professional??? If not well that is exactly the problem. Playing with kids has nothing to do with selling cruises so why should she be qualified for the job ..... see what I mean with the folks onboard not being qualified..

I do all the investigation on what I want myself then call my TA and tell her what I want to do. She asks me what price I was quoted and tells me she can either match or better the price. TA all the way. I can't understand why people insist on doing things on their own and taking jobs away from people. Yes, I can get the same deal on my own but I just helped my TA keep her job and it COST ME NOTHING. Plus, if I have issues with my plans I just dump my issues on her and let her deal with it. Love that people like to be independent, but please think about what your doing to the economy help people keep their jobs!

We use a TA similar to CAm6959.

She doesn't mind us doing research to confirm she is doing a great job. Every once in a while we even get lucky and book a cruise that her company has booked blocks on and we get onboard cabin or passenger credits.

We have been fortunate and never have had a problem that needed to be settled after we returned.

If you do have a problem that needs attention after the cruise I would rather have my TA helping me rather than relying on my "investigations".:D

Next I'll try find a reliable TA Never again xpedia. Here in NYC though there are a lot of crooked agents. I used one years ago on a honeymoon and they booked a hotel room with 2 single beds in it.

Last Time I ever used them.

NOW I understand why you are so angry!........................couldn't you have pushed them together?

Jumbie - It used to be so but it isn't anymore by the way you said your girlfriend wanted that job after she is finished playing with the kids??

Well, even though she works as a Youth Counselor right now, I think that being on the ship gives her some insight into the ins and outs of well...the ship. I don't see why she wouldn't know anything a TA selling cruises would and perhaps then some. Of course, having read this thread, she might not have their "clout" but I don't think that matters for the purposes of people who want to book on board.

What is she a trained Travel Professional???

No, she is not. She does have a degree in Marketing though.

But, I don't see why she needs to be a trained professional for the purposes of this one specific job i.e. to sell cruises on X. Not on any other line and not to book any land-based vacations, etc. As long as she's aware of Celebrity's policies, perks, etc. and can answer any questions that people like the OP have, I don't see it being a problem. She's a bright woman and takes pride in whatever she does and I have every confidence that she's going to make sure she knows her job well.

If not well that is exactly the problem.

See above. I don't think it's a problem. Not if she is trained properly in any case.

What if you took a TA and stuck them in this position? A TA that isn't used to selling cruises. They are a trained professional yet they are going to have to learn X's policies just like anyone else. They might have some insight into some common questions and concerns that guests may have based on their work eperience, but then again, seeing as how they aren't familiar with the cruising environment and X's way of doing things in particular, they may not.

Playing with kids has nothing to do with selling cruises so why should she be qualified for the job

Doing an undergrad degree in Exercise Physiology/Biomechanics has nothing to do with medicine (not really although there are one or two useful things), but that's why I'm going to school to learn. I'm pretty sure they're not going to take my g/f, or a cabin steward or waiter and plonk them down at a desk with the instructions - "Sell cruises" and leave it at that. They are going to go through some kind of training.

How well they do their job is then up to that individual. Just as with everything else in life.

see what I mean with the folks onboard not being qualified.

Sure, I get where you're coming from. But I'm assuming that you were given some kind of training at your job before you started. The same holds true for this case.

I'm not saying she's going to be perfect and be able to answer some obscure question that's probably not commmon, but as long as she's aware of the policies that X has - on adding a 3rd person to a guarantee like the OP asked about, for example - I don't see how being a travel professional is going to be of any additional benefit.

If you think you're going to get trained travel professionals on every cruise line in future sales (not that I think you do, just mentioning it for the sake of argument) I really don't think that's likely. Ask the two TAs in this thread why they aren't working on ships. At least, I think there were two of them. It's not a job for everyone and they need to get someone to do it. For example, when I am finished school and my g/f and I are ready to get married, she's leaving work on the ship. It's not very conducive to family life.

Anyway, the fact that they don't have available "trained" people to fill positions doesn't change the fact that it might be a problem according to your point of view, but it does make it so that it might be a [near] unattainable goal.

And one more thing just to illustrate my point. I may be wrong since it's a while since I discussed this, but I believe that the only criteria for working with kids on board is a clean background check (yes, they do an extensive one) and a tertiary education (university or college). I'm sure experience in education or working with kids on a daycare or something previously is an asset, but I don't believe that it's a must. Yet, the kid's program consistently gets good ratings and I've seen many, many positive comments about it on these boards. So most of the staff working those positions are not trained professionals per se, but they seem to do a more than adequate job.

Okay, time to go to class now. Thanks for listening to me ramble. *grin*

Hallo Jumbie

"playing with the kids" were your words I just quoted you & I in no ways mean't that that job isn't important BUT it does not qualify her for the sales job especially when one considers she will be booking passengers from countries allover the world - all with different rules & regulations.

Before you start burning my feathers I have worked out there (MS Sagafjord / Cunard) how ever not in Sales & now I am a TA. Therefore I can say that just because you work out there doesn't mean you can sell cruises.

There are too many mistakes you can make with other poeples money. The first posters problem probably comes down to a mistake made by someone who has had a couple weeks of training -then put on a phone & let loose on the unsuspecting public.

On X the poeple from future cruises belong to the Capt. Club Department & to my experiance they are not too bad as long as you are a US or Canadian Citizen. If you are from anywhere else in the world - then you might be lucky but you seldom get the right answer. Things that apply to these bookings do not always apply to international bookings.

On a RCCL cruise in the Med 2 years ago the guy at the future cruise desk was a member of the entertainment staff!!!!!!! He even told us that this was not his "regular job" onboard and as a result he had absolutly no idea what he was doing.

That is why I am so wary of these onboard bookings and I always urge my clients to get things promised to them in writing before they leave the ship.

The consumer has a good deal of unrecognized power & control.

I used to be a TA. I also can do a much better job on my own reservation, however, I have found that I don’t have any voice as a SINGLE booking. Using an online TA (not one of the big 3, but one of the ‘best price cheap cruise’ variety), I can get a better PRICE than a direct booking. With the exception of RCI & Celebrity. They have that new anti-discounting program to allegedly make smaller TA’s more competitive. Hah. I agree with some of the other posters, they simply want to make ALL the profit. Can’t blame them, or control them… but, I can & DID switch my next cruise from another RCI to Princess. Just as I switched from NCL when they started the Freestyle fiasco, which I don’t like.

Even though I haven’t sailed PCL, yet… I have found that their price is more competitive, I can choose to dine traditional, & if I like their ships, I can book onboard at a SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCED booking amount & get the deposit amount ($100) returned in shipboard credit on that cruise….Sounds like they want my business!

Now that is power. If either RCI or NCL were to suit my needs, I wouldn’t hesitate to return, but at this time… I’m still just ONE customer & so far, they haven’t noticed I’m missing. But, I doubt that I’m alone & perhaps they truly do care about their customers, instead of just the bottom line profit. Time will tell.

:D:D

I can even see kruisecat's point though I do not agree. She/he thinks they can control their destiny better than anyone else. Fine, if there is a problem they will have no one to run to or to blame.

I really am in no way knocking TAs. I think they can provide a valuable service. I'm lucky, I live in FL, no need for air for Carrib. cruises. I'm sure when it's time to book a Med. cruise that I will do my research into TA's because I WILL need much more than just booking a cabin.

I just get tired of hearing TAs say that they can offer so much more. I've had friends that have had horror stories with TAs (and not internet ones) and they had no one to run to either when the problems popped up. I know that there are many more qualified than non but for what I consider to be simple bookings I do it myself.

I wonder how many also use their TAs for airline travel now that the customer pays instead of the airlines? Is the service still worth it? Or if it comes out of your pocket are you a little more self reliant? Just curious.

Jumbie,

I have been on 41 cruises, and I have loved the youth/kids councelors. Also, the cruise consultants have been very professional.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sounds like you're having a great time with 41 cruises under your belt. Hopefully that will be me some day...

None of us could have said it better. NMNita

Hallo Jumbie

"playing with the kids" were your words I just quoted you

lol, said that out of habit. That's how I refer to her job when I'm giving her trouble about me bustin' my butt in school while she's "out having fun". And she most certainly is, she loves her job right now. It's a great way to travel and save money at the same time.

& I in no ways mean't that that job isn't important

I never got that impression. I don't know what in my reply might make you feel that I thought such.

However, even if you did mean that, and not to be rude or anything, I really wouldn't care. Every job has its place and it would be important to those people who make use of the facilities to occupy their children/teens when they want to have time alone.

BUT it does not qualify her for the sales job

Nor does it necessarily disqualify her.

Just so we're clear, I'm not offended at this in any way. Don't think I'm on the defensive just because it's a position she's interested in (mainly at my request because of the shorter contracts; she'd be happy to stay with the kids otherwise).

As far as I'm concerned, we're just having a discussion here.

especially when one considers she will be booking passengers from countries allover the world - all with different rules & regulations.

I don't see how this is relevant. Different countries? The only rules and regulations that should matter are Celeb's.

If you were talking about different lines, with different policies, then I could see it being a factor to consider. But again, all she needs to know is how X does things.

Before you start burning my feathers

I have no intention of doing such.

Besides, PETA would come after me for cruelty to animals if I started burning feathers. Okay, that was lame, but I've already typed it. *grin*

I have worked out there (MS Sagafjord / Cunard) how ever not in Sales & now I am a TA.

Fair enough. It's good that you have that experience to base your opinion on.

Therefore I can say that just because you work out there doesn't mean you can sell cruises.

And I still contend that it doesn't mean you can't either. I've been on one cruise (the only reason being to see my g/f while she was working and I was on holiday) and therefore am not a very informed consumer when it comes to cruising because I had no need to put in the time researching. However, I know A LOT about crusing and certain policies as related to X, simply from talking to my g/f.

I know more than all "virgin" cruisers I've seen on these boards and have info about quite a few things that I've seen veteran, "informed" cruisers ask about.

There are too many mistakes you can make with other poeples money.

True. But from peoples' reports in this thread with "trained professionals" i.e. certain (and definitely not all) travel agents/agencies, it appears that anyone can screw up.

Like I said, it depends on the individual. Because I had one bad experience with a professor does not make all of my professors horrible. If, I decided to skip Physiology lecture because Dr. Hansen was so terrible at Endocrine, I'd have missed the absolute best professor I've ever had in my life in Dr. Loren Nelson teaching me Cardiovascular and Respiratory Mechanics.

Same principal applies in my mind. Okay, maybe the OP dealt with someone who was not able to adequately answer his questions and provide him with accurate information (which ended up costing him dearly and that's not right), but certainly other people have had perfectly fine experiences or we'd see many more complaints on these boards about sales on board as opposed to CS in head office, for example. Something I've certainly been witness to.

The first posters problem probably comes down to a mistake made by someone who has had a couple weeks of training -then put on a phone & let loose on the unsuspecting public.

Possibly.

Or maybe he just wasn't as clear in asking his questions as he thinks. I'm not saying that's the case either, but I see that happen on a daily basis.

On X the poeple from future cruises belong to the Capt. Club Department & to my experiance they are not too bad as long as you are a US or Canadian Citizen. If you are from anywhere else in the world - then you might be lucky but you seldom get the right answer.

I have no experience with this, so I can't volunteer an opinion. I do not see what difference it makes if a passenger/customer is from outside of N. America though...

Things that apply to these bookings do not always apply to international bookings.

Again, no experience, but I don't see how something like adding an extra person has anything to do with sex, age, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, etc. Perhaps with things like insurance or payment though...

On a RCCL cruise in the Med 2 years ago the guy at the future cruise desk was a member of the entertainment staff!!!!!!! He even told us that this was not his "regular job" onboard and as a result he had absolutly no idea what he was doing.

I have no idea. I just know that on X currently Future Sales is a full-time position.

That is why I am so wary of these onboard bookings and I always urge my clients to get things promised to them in writing before they leave the ship.

Good advice that holds true for any situation. For example, a friend of mine just got royally screwed cause he made a "gentleman's verbal agreement" with his landlord who is now going back on his word.

But again, I refer you to reports in this thread that a TA hasn't done well by them either. So, it goes back to the basic premise of my argument which is that a lot depends on the individual you are dealing with.

Any job requires training. Selling cruises is no different in my book so long as that training is adquate and thorough.

lol, I can't believe I'm spending time on these boards when I have finals in three weeks. *kicks self*

that nothing is offered to Celeb and RCCL customers from a TA. We have groups and that means we have amenities in many cases. Though some sailings do not offer amenities. We also offer insurance free of charge as incentive (at least my company does). We are doing all we are allowed to do to keep you happy. They cannot forbid us to offer rebates after the sailing and these can be sizable.

My momma told me you better shop around!! I used to love that song.....

Jimkat,

In regard to Princess...I went with them for the first time this summer to Alaska. They say it was an itinerary issue but it was the most boring of cruises. I never saw so much of may cabin in 12 cruises. You may not like NCL but those ships are FUN!!!!! Good luck with them. I swear I will be trying ALL of the lines I have yet to sail before going there again!!!

Dear Gypsea,

We have been cruising for several years and have always booked our cruises through a Travel Agent until this year. I booked a Western Med. cruise for next summer on Millennium directly through Celebrity. I had called my TA, who is with American Express, several times in an attempt to book the Med. cruise with her, but she was out of the office on "special assignment" and did not get back with me once she returned. As a result, I booked directly with Celebrity.

One of the benefits of booking directly with Celebrity is that you can call them directly and ask whatever questions you may have regarding the cruise. If you book with a TA, Celebrity will not answer any questions whatsoever, no matter how basic. They always tell you to contact your TA. If your TA is highly responsive, this may not be a problem. However, if you have a TA who works part-time or odd hours (East Coast vs. West Coast time), it can be a problem.

Since booking the cruise, my TA has booked our airline tickets (six passengers in Business Class on Air France) and our hotels in Barcelona and Venice. My question is: If I transfer my cruise booking from Celebrity to her, will she receive any type of commission? I would be willing to do so, if I thought she would benefit. Otherwise, I will keep the booking with Celebrity so that I have direct access to them, without having to go through a third party. We are on East Coast time and she is on West Coast time, so there is a delay in her ability to respond to questions.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Nancy

Nancy,

Yes, she will receive the commission. Why don't you find an east coast agent, there are plenty of us here as well and since she didn't return your call it may be a good idea to look around. I know what a pain it is that they will not speak with you about your questions. It seems really silly. If you get the right agent on the phone you may get lucky. I am sure this is part of the reason people prefer to book themselves. Bon voyage.

Dear Gypsea,

Thank you so much for responding to my question. I really appreciate it.

Obviously, it costs me nothing to transfer the booking to a TA, so it seems silly to deny someone a commission. I can't think of anymore questions I would have for Celebrity anyway!

Thanks again and Happy Sailing!

Nancy

I'm not knocking a TA. I've used them in the past, but why should a TA get a commission for something I can do for myself if they're not going to give me something in return?

Again, not knocking TA's but these boards make it sound like you can get tons of stuff from a TA and that is just not always the case.

I just don't agree with you unless you are very experienced. Cruise Travel agents, especially those who know you and do high volumne do a great job of matching you with the appropriate cruise line, ship, itinerary. and price. Also, they handle details you might foul up and "solve problems you might not be able to solve.

I just don't agree with you unless you are very experienced. Cruise Travel agents, especially those who know you and do high volumne do a great job of matching you with the appropriate cruise line, ship, itinerary. and price. Also, they handle details you might foul up and "solve problems you might not be able to solve.

There was a time when travel agents played an important role because it was not easy for the average person to obtain all the information they needed to make an informed decision. However, that is no longer the case. Even though travel agents are "experts" they are more likely to consider what is most profitable for them as opposed to what is the best fit for their client when they give "advice".

I have a client who sails frequently. He can afford suites if he chooses but I didn't always sell him that stateroom type. He asked me. Yes, we are told to upsell making the profit larger. That doesn't mean everyone plays that game. Most businesses are built on repeat clients. Anyone who sells anything will tell you that. If I think a client will sail more often I would rather book a stateroom for him/her that will suit their needs and pocketbook. Not oversell them a cabin that he may find limits the ability to cruise again in the future. Nor will they sail again if they feel it was not a good value. If, however, they sail and decide "this is the life wouldn't I be happier in a larger cabin", fine. I am happy to help. Sales is about making a friend not just a customer and keeping the customer satisfied. The man I mention is asking for quotes for the sixth cruise in less than two years. So, I suppose I must be doing something right. Please do not make it appear that we are all in the business to make a fat commission and run with it. Profit and success is made by excelling at what you do. Some people take pride in that. While others may not care do NOT make it seem as if we are all that. way.

Archived