Breakaway Oct.9th, the good, the bad and the UGLY

Sea Legs

I think everyone reading this knows part of the UGLY....we did not go to Bermuda. Hurricane Nicole was an Act of God and Norwegian did the right thing but not heading in that direction. HOWEVER, taking us to Port Canaveral and Nassau was a joke. So many passengers just elected to stay on the ship and I don't blame them one pit. Cocoa beach still had businesses shut down from Matthew and the beach had right flags waving. And what can I say about Nassua...we were only there 6 hours and a portion of that was used getting on and off the ship. The only place to visit is Atlantis, which is expensive for the limited time to visit it.

The ship seemed to be short on staff. Getting a drink at the bar was a chore and we spent 2 1/2 hours in a specialty restaurant having dinner. Took 1/2 hour for someone to take our drink order! However, all the staff did their best and smiled and were pleasant.

The dueling pianos, burn the floor and the especially the blues group in Fat Cats were very good. I did not care for Rock of Ages...but that may have just been me. The dancers entertained us one night in the Manhattan dining room and were great.

For the most part, food in the dining rooms was above average for a cruise line. Was disappointed not to see hamburgers, hot dogs and fries anywhere around the pool. Pizza and hamburgers were available on the buffet but the burgers looked to be dried out and the pizza undercooked.

NOW to the absolutly terrible part of the trip....DEBARKATION! We had purchased Norwegian ground transportation to the airport for a cost of $80. I thought that was a bit expensive but it would take the hassle out of getting a taxi. Apparently passengers lined up on deck 7 irregardless of the color of their luggage tags. The lines were wrapped around the ship. At one time they announced for anyone with specific colored tags to step out of line and go to a lounge until their color was called, but absolutely no one was willing to risk that and have to go back to the end of the line later. So, the lines remained around the ship. Then their was a ramp problem and debarkation stopped. By the time we got down to claim our luggage, our two suitcases were the only ones remaining in the "brown" section for passengers with pre-purchased ground transportion. To make a long story short, after walking up and down the sidewalk outside (with no Norwegian staff to answer questions or assist) we realized that any and all Norwegian buses had already departed. We said screw it and grabbed a taxi. Norwegian will be hearing from me today as I will demand my $80 be refunded. I called yesterday, but customer service was closed on Sunday.

I will be happy to answer any questions for y'all.

Sorry you got diverted due to weather. The BA cruise before mine had the same thing happen as you did, my cruise weather was beautiful. As to disembarkation, that has been a problem for years. We did early walk off and non-walk off people were already lining up around the ship. Many of them just ignored the color tag order as there were already several hundred people wandering through all the colored luggage sections looking for their bags. NCL really needs to work on enforcing the procedure there.

Disembarkation has always been awful. I think it's a mixture of NCL and Port Authority terminal workers (or lack thereof). My biggest complaint is with the people who choose early walk off status but then leave whenever they damn well feel like doing so. That's what holds this up. Some people are juggling 3 suitcases and children. These guests should be getting off first. Not after they have had breakfast, etc. When we were in the cruise terminal line for customs there was young couple with 2 small children (one in a stroller). They were worried about making it to JFK by noon. We suggested that they get off the line and get a porter to assist (advising them that the porter will be expecting a tip). They were very grateful for this information and found a porter and were quickly through customs. Hope they made their flight.

Many of them just ignored the color tag order as there were already several hundred people wandering through all the colored luggage sections looking for their bags. NCL really needs to work on enforcing the procedure there.
But what can they do? On disembarkation morning, no one but you knows what color you have. You may not even remember yourself.

NCL can't enforce anything if they don't know each passenger's disembarkation plans. And there is no reasonable way to collect that information for 4000+ passengers, unless you make passengers enter it themselves somehow when they choose their colors.

My biggest complaint is with the people who choose early walk off status but then leave whenever they damn well feel like doing so.
It's "easy walk-off", not "early walk-off". Guests who choose this option are explicitly invited to leave whenever they damn well feel like doing so (not in those exact words). But they have to be able to do it without help and without slowing everyone else down. People who are not able to handle 3 suitcases and children, or whatever their situation is, should not be choosing this option at all, no matter what time they want to disembark.

NCL now refers to it as self-assist. And it is expected that they leave the ship first - at least according to the disembarkation menu. I don't know what their policy is as to disabled guests but we had a gentleman in a motorized wheelchair in front of us and that was a bit dangerous in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I thought if you had a transfer you were supposed to meet up somewhere to disembark as a group to the busses - sort of like some of the excursion meet ups.

But what can they do? On disembarkation morning, no one but you knows what color you have. You may not even remember yourself.

NCL can't enforce anything if they don't know each passenger's disembarkation plans. And there is no reasonable way to collect that information for 4000+ passengers, unless you make passengers enter it themselves somehow when they choose their colors.

It's "easy walk-off", not "early walk-off". Guests who choose this option are explicitly invited to leave whenever they damn well feel like doing so (not in those exact words). But they have to be able to do it without help and without slowing everyone else down. People who are not able to handle 3 suitcases and children, or whatever their situation is, should not be choosing this option at all, no matter what time they want to disembark.

Totally agree - especially about being able to handle the suitcases, etc. I just don't get it. You see elderly people lugging all their stuff off the ship. Or a family of 6 and dad is handling 4 pieces of luggage while mom corrals the kids in line. I did self-disembark once where we were 6 adults with 1 piece of luggage each and swore I would never do it again unless no other choice. Now I get the tags for the latest possible exit and have a relaxing last day instead of standing in line for hours.

NCL still calls it "easy walk off" sometimes, sometimes "self assist", or "self assist (easy walk off)". I don't believe they ever refer to it as "early walk off". Of course many people choose this option because they need to leave early and can't wait for luggage delivery in the terminal, but NCL doesn't say or suggest anywhere that all guests who choose this option are expected to leave the ship first, not allowed to have breakfast, etc.

The recent disembarkation leaflets I have here say:

• "Disembark at your leisure anytime as soon as the ship has been cleared."
  • "You can be the first to disembark the ship anytime between 05:30 and 09:00."
  • "Be one of the first guests off the ship or stay and enjoy an extra cup of coffee. Leave between approximately 8:30am and no later than 10:00am."

To get back to the OP's message, it does sound like disembarkation was a mess. But it also sounds like everyone else in their color group was somehow able to get off the ship and onto the transfer bus. I hope they get their $80 back, but I'm not sure they can blame everything on NCL and their fellow passengers.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

It was a mess. We saw people getting off the ship pushing a stroller, carrying 2 car seats (needed for their flight home), 4 pieces of luggage and 2 kids. There has got to be a better and safer way to leave the ship.

It was a mess. We saw people getting off the ship pushing a stroller, carrying 2 car seats (needed for their flight home), 4 pieces of luggage and 2 kids. There has got to be a better and safer way to leave the ship.

They could've put their luggage outside the night before, should've put out their luggage the night before.

There's nothing to be done about other people, unfortunately. (Although, actually, instead of everyone glaring at this struggling family and cursing them for holding up the line, maybe someone could have offered to help? Just a thought.)

But I wonder if it's even realistic to double the number of passengers and expect to be able to maintain the same turn-around day schedule as for the smaller ships. Getting 4000 people off a ship in 3 hours, there's very little margin for error and a huge potential for mess.

Reviews are reviews... I know a cruise is what you make it... blah blah blah.

Reviews are also inconsistent.... some will say best cruise ever, while others say never again!

But since I booked my Breakaway Cruise for 2/26 the one consistent I see is the terrible port and debarkation in New York

I am seriously concerned about it... we are being dropped off and picked up at the port by a friend.... but I do not want them waiting around for hours for us!

But again I do not want to be standing on a new york street corner for them!

Tough call... or do I hire a car/limo service which will be lots more money but at least then I do not have to worry about it as much

Reviews are reviews... I know a cruise is what you make it... blah blah blah.

Reviews are also inconsistent.... some will say best cruise ever, while others say never again!

But since I booked my Breakaway Cruise for 2/26 the one consistent I see is the terrible port and debarkation in New York

I am seriously concerned about it... we are being dropped off and picked up at the port by a friend.... but I do not want them waiting around for hours for us!

Tough call... or do I hire a car/limo service which will be lots more money but at least then I do not have to worry about it as much

You should expect it to take about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours from leaving your room to clearing

customs.

There's nothing to be done about other people, unfortunately. (Although, actually, instead of everyone glaring at this struggling family and cursing them for holding up the line, maybe someone could have offered to help? Just a thought.)

But I wonder if it's even realistic to double the number of passengers and expect to be able to maintain the same turn-around day schedule as for the smaller ships. Getting 4000 people off a ship in 3 hours, there's very little margin for error and a huge potential for mess.

Of course people offered to help. But there is only so much you can do with so much to carry. Bottom line is their things should have been checked ... not carried off. It was dangerous. I also saw a very nice young man offer to help an older woman with her large piece of luggage only to be turned down.

One of the problems I see, is that people just don't listen.

There are announcements all morning long about not

gathering unless your color was called! We see people lining

up at 7 am when the ship has not even been cleared yet.

I would think if passengers have a lot of luggage to

deal with, put it out the night before, them have a porter

help you with the luggage, much much easier that way.

Also better to get through customs that way. Passengers blame

NCL for a mess, when just simply following instructions

would help a lot.

I don't know about NCL transfer, but when we got off

we did see people standing with signs saying NCL transfer.

We walked off at 8:45 got our luggage, got a Porter

in a cap by 9:00am took the Ferry at 9:10 and home by 10:30

but then again we were on the Haven, so maybe that made a little

difference.

I still feel that if people would just follow instructions things

would be much better

Marion

Get the latest color luggage tags, enjoy a leisurely breakfast & then relax until the lines are gone and they drag you off the ship. Ask your friend to pick you up between 10-11am or around 10:30am but advise that you will call them. You can always call to let them know it will be later/earlier. I pick up my parents a few times per year and we will park on the side street across from where you can turn right in to the pier.

I agree with that advice, the safest way to meet up with someone on the outside is to wait until the end of boarding. Customs is always a question mark (if you declare stuff, or if you fail to declare stuff…) but at least you won't be held up by hundreds/thousands of people trying to do the same thing as you at the same time as you.

Of course this only works if your onward plans allow you to stay on board that late, and if your friend is available at that time. Most people can't wait that long, which is why there is usually so much congestion the first couple of hours.

Get the latest color luggage tags, enjoy a leisurely breakfast & then relax until the lines are gone and they drag you off the ship. Ask your friend to pick you up between 10-11am or around 10:30am but advise that you will call them. You can always call to let them know it will be later/earlier. I pick up my parents a few times per year and we will park on the side street across from where you can turn right in to the pier.

This is what I was thinking saying 10/1030.... so you say there is easy spots for them to sit and wait nearby if we get delayed?... It is approx a 2 hr drive for them so I do not want them waiting too long.

What about if we get off and they aren't there yet.... is there somewhere nearby we can hang out (not far bc we will be dragging luggage)? Coffee shop or something?

This is what I was thinking saying 10/1030.... so you say there is easy spots for them to sit and wait nearby if we get delayed?... It is approx a 2 hr drive for them so I do not want them waiting too long.

What about if we get off and they aren't there yet.... is there somewhere nearby we can hang out (not far bc we will be dragging luggage)? Coffee shop or something?

This is a big part of the problem. Because this is New York, MOST of the passengers are being picked up. Many are driving. People are anxious to get off and not miss a bus, or cause a pickup to charge extra for waiting. If you schedule your pickup for later, there is no where to wait - they hustle you right off the premises and across the street to stand on the sidewalk. No food or drink available without walking a few blocks, especially that early.

I was on this cruise also and the number of people choosing self-assist was amazing - many more than other cruises and many more than last year when I also took the Breakaway. I could tell that disembarkation was about to start by watching the dock... went down and arrived deck 7 as the announcement was made to find more than 500 people already lined up. The customs line was already 30 minutes back by the time we got inside. There isn't enough space inside to take people off the ship as fast as they can get off... so no surprise they needed to stop or slow it down.

This was my 20th cruise, so I pretty much know the drill! My luggage was placed outside of my cabin by the designated time. The crew member telling passengers just to get in line was aware that we had a "brown" tag indicating a Norwegian transportation shuttle. Didn't make a bit of difference to her what color we had. There was not a specific location for those with "brown" tags to meet. We sailed out of NYC last September on Carnival and didn't experience anything like this debacle. Norwegian does not have specific "holding" locations for the different colored tags. It was only made worse by the fact that my husband has a walking cane and standing for an hour is pretty darn uncomfortable. When I brought this up to the crew member at the front of the line, she informed me that anyone requiring assistance could go to the Breakaway lounge for a wheelchair. HA! I would have needed a sherman tank to get through the lines and crowds of passengers blocking the halls. Norwegian is the 4th cruise line that I have sailed on and their debarkation process just sucked!

I'll also give a short version of my overall impressions of the cruise:

It was a good vacation for a 7 day shipboard experience, but as for finding an alternate port plan it stunk.

About 100 people got off before we sailed, angry, with no compensation, just a phone number to call with their complaints. Staying alongside in New York a night, and being in Port Canaveral, added sales taxes to all our purchases for those days which added almost $50 to our cruise cost.

They published a few excursions (Disney, Universal, and Beach) but then started adding more later - you only knew if you went back to check and by then anything you booked earlier was nonrefundable. The beach transfer was a bust - red flagged and awful wind and dangerous water. So all we could do was shopping and a Starbuck's stop.

There were no excursions for Nassau, and the sun was setting 2 hours after our arrival, so you could go shopping for 2-3 hours, stop at Starbucks, and go to Senor Frog's.

It was the most expensive Starbucks run I've ever made.

The buffet was more crowded than usual from carpet maintenance and loss of Uptown Grill. There was a shortage of bartenders, or perhaps more people at the bars because of so much booking with free UBP.

Food was good at Moderno, great at Ocean Blue. Best service at Ocean Blue. Cagney's was good for 2 of us but they overcooked my steak. Did not send it back as needed to get to a show and not enough time to wait again and I hate eating my food after everyone else. Don't know if my server heard me wrong or if Kitchen overcooked.

The highlights were the shows, game shows, drinking on UBP, and social experience with our roll call group and at the 70s and 80s parties, and places like Howl at the Moon.

Unlike OP, Rock of Ages is my favorite thing about Breakaway. A real broadway show with the Rock n Roll theme and it's super fun. My daughter and I sat front row three times and made friends with the performers during the week.

The $200 OBC should have been a little better offer, maybe with a future discount. And it should have been allowed for the gratuities. People with UBP and already paid for many services could only buy merchandise, photos, and future cruise credits. We also got $29 pp back for the difference in port charges which did apply to the gratuities or could be refunded.

This trip was not a bust, but it certainly didn't meet expectations very well. The main thing that avoided a disaster: we didn't go to Canada. That would have been awful for many of us. We did pack 3 days warm clothes but luckily I was able to bag them up and put them back in our car!

Pelican Bill,

Except for the Rock of Ages, I totally agree with everything you said. No more Norwegian cruises for us. There are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from. And, by the way, I did not get any kind of a hassle from Norwegian customer service on my $80 refund for the shuttle to the airport. (They probably know how bad their debarkation process is!)

Not letting them into the baggage areas until that color is called for disembarking would help. People now know they can go get their bags from any area at any time. The early "easy walk off" should not be allowed into the baggage areas period.

Edited by Até

Not letting them into the baggage areas until that color is called for disembarking would help.
How would you enforce this? Post bouncers at the entrance to the baggage area asking everyone what color they have? (Hint: say whatever color was just called, and you'll get in.)

And once people get inside, you're saying that they should be prevented from claiming their luggage unless the color has been called. Again, I don't see how you can achieve this. With armed guards and attack dogs, I guess, because that's what you'd need to keep Breakaway passengers away from their bags.