Overnite to Fort L. Airport? where to rest?

marluvs2go

Bolding is mine as for me - This is a bit scary. I normally tell the hotel when I am coming but sometimes things happen. They have my credit card to guarantee late check in, so why would they cancel my reservation and consider me a no show????

I know I will be charged for the night if I don't cancel by x, so why would they cancel me when they have a reservation guaranteed and for several nights?

If I know in advance, of course I will contact them - or try to. But things happen with flights, highway traffic tie ups, etc.

Maybe I am missing something?

There really are lot of types of ressies. We can reinstate in the morning if we have to. But, there are so many that we can DNA. Accounting and revenue management issues abound. If "things happen", you really should call and let the hotel know.

I like your idea. Arriving early enough but not needing a hotel room appeals to me. You would be surprised how fast time slips away. I would collect my luggage and stop on the way to the port and have some breakfast. Then just arrive early at the port. At least you will be at your destination.

The only problem I see would be if you can't get any sleep on the overnight flight. One of our overnight flights to London had a flight attendant who was watching out for some teenage kids in the row behind us. They were fine with earphones playing computer games. The problem was that every so often she'd come by and speak to them in a fairly loud voice and wake everyone else in the area if they even had a chance to fall asleep between her "chit chats". We were wasted tired when we arrived in Heathrow and wasted our first full day in London sleeping at our hotel not waking up until dinner time. :(

Just sticking to the facts, I wrote the long narrative of what happened to us as hopefully a useful tool for others. Being a World Traveler, Long Time Cruiser and Full Timing RV person. I understand Travel is an unkown as to what can happen. I do love my ship cabin because everything especially the sheets are so clean and its my space for up to two weeks! comfy cozy and I see no irony in that? I also prefer my own messy bed in the motor home as opposed to hotel rooms.

Yes I am flying on Jet Blue as near as I can tell the only nonstop arriving day of cruise and I am booked thru HAL so if I am late they get me to the ship at their expense. I will check my credit card but do not believe am entitled to lounge, thanks for that tip! . OP was asking a specific question. Glad to see some stuck to answering that. Thanks Lizzie!

I am confused why so much angys over something so simple. , THIS IS not a travel problem. It is so easily remedied. Book a room. IMO

Your very pragmatic AlwaysFrantic and your opinion maybe shared by me once I navigate this experience, but you obviously missed the point of the Post Is it feasible or any less tiring to NOT BOOK a Hotel NOT arrive a day early? And or should we find a place to rest up.

Again I thank you all for your input and experiences especially the kind post of:

Just thought I would share this.

Been there, done that. For my first solo cruise a few years ago, I flew the redeye into FLL, arriving around 06:00. Since I had booked the HAL airport transfer which wasn't going to be available until 10ish, I picked up my suitcase and found a friendly guard who told me where I could find a quiet lounge area on an upper level.

There was a sofa and several soft easy chairs where I was able to rest and have a breakfast of the granola bars and bottled water I brought with me. I would have slept but, since I was traveling alone, I was too worried about being robbed while I slept so just dozed a little.

I only did that once, though, because after one too many close calls, I like to give myself at least one day between flying and cruising

Where is the sofa? ha! Molly is adorable BTW!

Like I said this maybe the wrong choice for us, but even at 66 and 76 years old we are both excited to try something new, that's why cruise critic is so valuable to us letting us know before hand what you have personally experienced. Right now I so happy to have found a nonstop redeye even tho it does not suit my sleeping habits it sounds doable. Now when I return I may have a different perspective? I think my next post will be "Any nonstops from San Diego to FLL during the day" ?????because all these years I have not found one....ok nuff said again hope this is useful....it is to me! thanks alot!

I am confused why so much angys over something so simple. , THIS IS not a travel problem. It is so easily remedied. Book a room. IMO

Your very pragmatic AlwaysFrantic and your opinion maybe shared by me once I navigate this experience, but you obviously missed the point of the Post Is it feasible or any less tiring to NOT BOOK a Hotel NOT arrive a day early? And or should we find a place to rest up.

Again I thank you all for your input and experiences especially the kind post of:

!

I didn't say that! I was the one who first suggested seeing if a credit card allowed lounge access. I wouldn't question your decision to fly on a red-eye...its no business of mine. I was simply answering the question of what to do, as you asked. My alternate choice when I thought you did not have credit card lounge access was to go to a beach hotel for a long breakfast and look around the beach.

This is not me

:confused: I am confused why so much angys over something so simple. , THIS IS not a travel problem. It is so easily remedied. Book a room. IMO
Edited by alwaysfrantic

Marluvs2go - The only non-stop, that I am aware, of between SAN-FLL is the JetBlue "redeye" flight.

As I suggested before if you go to a full-service hotel and kindly ask the bell desk to hold your bags while you go for breakfast they are usually happy to accommodate. There are also many good breakfast restaurants in the FLL area near the port and they may be willing to seat you at a table and allow you to linger as long as you explain your situation before sitting down (the luggage would be a good indicator - LOL). Taxis/Uber are plentiful and reasonably priced in FLL.

I am a big proponent of coming in a day early, but there are times where for logistic reasons we cannot do so - booking the air through HAL in this case will give you next port protection should there be mechanical/weather delays/cancellations that cause you to miss the ship, so you are making a wise choice to book through them :D

• 3 weeks later...

AtlantaCruiser72 ...I am getting cold feet on this plan but am sticking to it so am thinking how strange it will be to be up at my time 3AM and East Coast time 6AM. Thank you for suggesting the Breakfast trip, I was wondering if you could recommend one that serves "hearty old fashioned" breakfast? Also I am reading that you do not want to get to Port Everglades too early. The thought of lugging around the suitcases makes me just want to stay in the airport but my main focus will be coffee and cigarette's :eek: so am thinking that maybe the Roadway in will suit us or at least getting out of there? I suppose a lot will depend on when we can get on board. Yes smoking makes travel difficult so those you that want to comment can you abstain please? I am trying to make this cruise as hassel free as I can. Not familiar with FLL or Port so I am clueless..thanks to everyone who has mentioned what to do.