Chilkoot Rail Tours vs Princess Rail Toura

trrn2016

We are going to Alaska in May, 2017. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the ChIlkoot Tours White Pass Summit Railroad and Princess Tour of White Pass Scenic Railway in Skagway? I realize the ChIlkoot tour is train/bus combo. Are the rail portions the same? Would love insight from anyone who has done the tours? Thanks so much!

Edited by trrn2016

The train is the SAME- HOWEVER, there are 2 different trains, but likely you are going before the Lake Bennett train starts. The one way trains, are Skagway to Fraser. The loading is different, if booked with the ship- you load at the dock, if you go independent you load at the depot- which is a 10+++ minute walk from the ships.

The bus tours will be different. It's a big tour bus with princess, fixed stops, and extended time with loading and unloading. It's a smaller bus with most independents, multiple stops, but also might have some extra stops. Chilkoot does use the same Caribou Crossing that the cruise ships use.

An alternative vendor that I have gone with, offers the Chilkoot Bakery stop, (on your own) but the ability to walk around all of Carcross. There are multiple options to consider, but the viewing from a tour bus is not ideal for this area. Yes you do have your side viewing, but not as good looking across. It is superior to be on a smaller bus.

If we arrive at 7:00 and our tour with chilkoot leaves at 7:30 - will we have time for this excursion? I know they will be at the dock and we take the but over to the depot, correct?

Yes, that will be fine as it was exactly our situation. The Chilkoot minibus picked us up at the dock at 7.30 and went on to make a couple more pick-ups from other ships. From memory we didn't board the train until around 8.30 and it pulled out 15 minutes later.

Videos of the train ride up and then the bus into the Yukon to Carcross are in the Alaska link in my signature below. You get around 40 minutes to walk around Carcross. All the best, Tony

the other advantage with Chilkoot is you will have a separate train car. When we went in May 2014, everyone on Princess was packed in their cars. In our car, there were only 4 of us. No fighting for getting out on the platform to take pictures.

the other advantage with Chilkoot is you will have a separate train car. When we went in May 2014, everyone on Princess was packed in their cars. In our car, there were only 4 of us. No fighting for getting out on the platform to take pictures.

This is not always the case. When we took the Lake Bennett tour through Chilkoot, the train was going to pick up a bunch of hikers from Bennett. When we got on the train, half of our car was cordoned off to save space for these passengers. We had a relatively large group on our tour, so our half of the train car was pretty full. Also, there were several passengers who spent nearly the whole time on the platform, just standing there talking with their backs leaning against the railings, so not even looking at the scenery. It was nearly impossible for anyone else to go out for photos. They'd move if you asked, but by the time you managed to interrupt their conversation and get them to move, you'd probably missed the shot you were hoping to get.

It was still a great tour, and I'd do it again, but you cannot count on small groups, everyone getting a good seat, and easy access to the platform.

Yes, that will be fine as it was exactly our situation. The Chilkoot minibus picked us up at the dock at 7.30 and went on to make a couple more pick-ups from other ships. From memory we didn't board the train until around 8.30 and it pulled out 15 minutes later.

Videos of the train ride up and then the bus into the Yukon to Carcross are in the Alaska link in my signature below. You get around 40 minutes to walk around Carcross. All the best, Tony

I love your videos, what whale watching company did you use?

I love your videos, what whale watching company did you use?

Thanks. For the Juneau videos we used http://juneauwhalewatch.com/

For various reasons we were unable to commit to a tour as a party of 6 until the day before going to Juneau so just walked up to them at the dock. It worked out perfectly but we were a bit lucky that they could take us at the only time we could do it.

That whale watch/glacier combo tour cost $125 pp in 2014. All the best, Tony

Thanks. For the Juneau videos we used http://juneauwhalewatch.com/

For various reasons we were unable to commit to a tour as a party of 6 until the day before going to Juneau so just walked up to them at the dock. It worked out perfectly but we were a bit lucky that they could take us at the only time we could do it.

That whale watch/glacier combo tour cost $125 pp in 2014. All the best, Tony

Thank you Tony :)

• 4 months later...