Newbie cruiser question re dining

Vera123

First cruise booked next year for Navigator.

Still trying to get my head around the dining arrangements.

I selected the 18.00 traditional dining option. Does this mean we have a table reserved every night in the MDR at 6? How fixed is this time? i.e. can we be half an hour either side of it? Do we have to cancel it on a nightly basis if we intend to eat elsewhere?

Can we still try the Windjammer buffet and if so do we just turn up or can we book a table even though we have the MDR table booked?

I'm sure it's a lot easier than I imagine but not having been on a cruise before I'm just not sure how these things work. Any help appreciated thanks

Yes..your table is yours for the whole cruise...you need to be there at or very around 6...there is another seating after you...don't be more than 5 mins. late! Actually, there is no reason to be late...even on a port day! (The dining room won't be open before 6, so no going early!)

If you want to eat elsewhere on some nights...you can! If you have tablemates, it's nice to tell them if you know you won't be there, but you don't have to.

Edited by cb at sea

First cruise booked next year for Navigator.

Still trying to get my head around the dining arrangements.

I selected the 18.00 traditional dining option. Does this mean we have a table reserved every night in the MDR at 6? Yes, same table each day with same waitstaff. How fixed is this time? i.e. can we be half an hour either side of it? It's quite fixed. You cannot enter early (doors aren't open) and more than 5 minutes late is disruptive to service. 1/2 hour is not acceptable. Do we have to cancel it on a nightly basis if we intend to eat elsewhere? Not really, it's polite to let your waiter know if you plan to eat elsewhere so that the rest of the table isn't waiting for you to arrive before ordering.

Can we still try the Windjammer buffet and if so do we just turn up or can we book a table even though we have the MDR table booked? You can eat at the windjammer any night you like - just turn up

I'm sure it's a lot easier than I imagine but not having been on a cruise before I'm just not sure how these things work. Any help appreciated thanks

Answers above :) it will all be easy once you get on board. Enjoy your first cruise!