Escape To Jost Van Dyke

ZipGirl

Looking forward to my cruise on the Equinox next May. Especially pleased I was able to book with such a great price last July when they repositioned her to the Caribbean during the summer. I've started looking at excursions, and will book most on my own. However, really would like to visit Jost Van Dyke but since it's on another island from the port, I feel a little more comfortable going with the celebrity excursion.

Any feedback....has anyone taken this celebrity excursion. If so, what did it include. For those who went on their own, advice please!

So excited and can't wait for May to get here!

We are also doing this tour via X on the May 15 Equinox sailing.

We've been to JVD one time before from St Thomas and our group chartered a water taxi.

My friend, also on this, sailing did the X tour to JVD and it was great. Enough time to hang out at White Bay, Soggy Dollar Bar, drink some painkillers, lunch, etc.

When we saw we were going to Tortola, we knew right away we would be heading to JVD again.

Took this excursion over Easter week. Had a bunch of on-board credit, and nothing to spend it on!! We normally avoid ship excursions.

Have to say, we had a great time on this excursion. I think everyone else along for the ride did as well. Lovely catamaran ride, and I believe it was a couple of hours on Jost Van Dyke. The lunch was ok. Burgers and dogs from Costco if I remember correctly. Could have been Sam's Club. I drink is included as well.

Head down to the opposite end of the beach to get to the Soggy Dollar Bar. But watch out for the Painkillers. I may have been overserved!:eek: Had the nicest time floating in the beautiful water, chatting with others, and drinking my beverage. I cannot remember what the cost was for this excursion, but i want to say it was close to the price of another excursion we looked at through a tour company. Believe it was the same length, and also a similar catamaran . When I get home from work, I will try and post pictures. But I would definitely book this excursion again.

We did this tour with Oceania. It's a long way, by boat, from Tortola. IMO, I would feel more comfortable going with the cruiseline should there be a problem with a boat you were taking. The beautiful ride over, and the view from the beach, are better than the island itself. :) We did enjoy our day, though a bit crowded.

It's a long boat-ride over to JVD -- but, well worth it. We took the ships' excursion, and were glad we did. The tour operator apparently didn't get the message about our shortened port stop there. We were late getting back to the ship -- but, they DID wait for us! :cool:

Looking forward to my cruise on the Equinox next May. Especially pleased I was able to book with such a great price last July when they repositioned her to the Caribbean during the summer. I've started looking at excursions, and will book most on my own. However, really would like to visit Jost Van Dyke but since it's on another island from the port, I feel a little more comfortable going with the celebrity excursion.

Any feedback....has anyone taken this celebrity excursion. If so, what did it include. For those who went on their own, advice please!

So excited and can't wait for May to get here!

Take the celeb excursion or rent a local boat to take you over( cost a packet more) as for wanting to get there on your own "mission impossible".

A cab ride to Sopers Hole then a ferry boat to JVD then a cab ride to White Bay.

This route on a one day stopover is just not possible given the connecting times to and from JVD

Edited by reload

We took the ships excursion. It was not a catamaran but it still took over an hour to get there and there were some rough seas. You get one drink (I think painkiller or beer) and there is a buffet with hamburgers, hot dogs and chips. A storm came in and we were delayed leaving JVD and although we made it back with seconds to spare at least we didn't have to be pier runners since they had to wait for us. I would have been a nervous wreck had it been a private tour. It's a crowded beach with bars lined up next to each other. I wouldn't go again but I'm glad we tried it once.

We did it on our own. Cab to ferry to Jost then cab to Soggy Dollar. As it happened, that day and location were chosen for the Hooters girls

calendar shoot! I'm glad we had prearranged for the cab to pick us up or we probably would have missed the ferry. A high point of my husband's cruise experiences[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the NCL Escape in August and took their excursion, the catamaran "Rebel Yell". About a 40 minute ride over to White Bay. Beautiful scenery the entire trip. Beach was just gorgeous. Our excursion was the earlier of the 2 NCL trips. Some places were not quite open. We walked a short way to Gertrude's. A 5 minute stroll behind Gertrude's was the Perfect Pineapple. A small guest house. It's owned by Gertrude"s son. They made us a terrific breakfast sandwich. We lean towards the ship excursions because of a guaranteed wait upon a late return. If anyone follows the reality show "Below Decks" much of this season was filmed there in the Tortola area. In a couple of scenes you can see the "Rebel Yell" and also the Escape. Regards, Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob