Help put my mind at ease!

norwane

Please put my mind at ease with the tour we have booked on Routan with Victor Bodden. It is a private tour for 4 women ($25/each) We will first go horseback riding and then go zip-lining. Are we taking our lives into our own hands?! A friend thinks I'm nuts for signing us up for this package, and go past the point of no return from the ship!.

I like the idea of visiting other countries, but also want to leave in one piece!

Thoughts/advice/warnings??? What do I need to know and how do I keep myself and my friends safe??

All drama aside, My friend and I are getting a bit nervous about the area and how violent it can be. If we go and meet Victor after we leave the port, then what? He will take us horseback riding (I suspect a relative of some kind). Will that be safe? After the horses, is the zip lines.

What do you all think, am I crazy for signing us up for this?! If I am, please pull me back now!

Thanks!

We had a tour with Victor Bodden's company this past May. While it wasn't the same tour as you are doing, it was terrific. Once we got off the ship, we found the Kiosk and were directed to our driver.

Our driver gave us a wonderful tour of her beloved country. We never once felt uncomfortable. At lunch time, she asked what we liked, and drove us to a local's restaurant. She joined us for lunch and gave us pointers as to what to order. We'd do a tour again with his company if we return to Roatan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Roatan is much safer than most any large city in the U. S. Weve done several tours with one of Victor's drivers and never once felt the slightest bit uneasy. I am a retired police officer and, as such, likely have a different perspective than most folks. I tend to watch people carefully and have never felt unsafe here. We were there a few weeks ago and went to a very isolated spot on the east end of the island.

There's just nothing unsafe about Roatan if you go where you belong and don't go where you have no business. We've taken our two kids all over Roatan without the least bit of apprehension. You and your girlfriends will have a blast.

I know it's hard not to worry, especially when people are telling you that you should. But you will have an awesome time in Roatan. Victor has a great reputation and wouldn't want to risk that by putting you in any sort of danger. Like others said, just use common sense precautions and you will be absolutely fine.

Roatan was one of my favourite stops. It's a lovely island and every person we met was extremely friendly. I was also nervous beforehand but it was all for nothing and I had a fantastic time there.

I agree with all the posts so far. I went with a Victor Boden tour while in Roatan. I did the tour fun & sun(something like that). The Boden tour desk is really easy to find when you get off the ship. You don't have to walk out of the area to find it. There were six guests on our tour and we loved the driver. At no time did we feel uncomfortable, unsafe, etc. I think you will love every minute. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with all the posts so far. I went with a Victor Boden tour while in Roatan. I did the tour fun & sun(something like that). The Boden tour desk is really easy to find when you get off the ship. You don't have to walk out of the area to find it. There were six guests on our tour and we loved the driver. At no time did we feel uncomfortable, unsafe, etc. I think you will love every minute. Have fun!

How far do you have to walk from the ship to where Boden desk is. I have difficulty walking very far. Thanks, Linda

We did a Bodden tour, 2 adults and 2 kids 7 and 9. We felt very safe with our driver. We did a tour of the area, as well as visited his neighborhood where our kids donated backpacks full of supplies to 2 kids their age. After we did stops to buy delicious banana soda and the beach. It was worth it to us, even during a downpour for our kids to see a different way of life.

All drama aside, My friend and I are getting a bit nervous about the area and how violent it can be.

I am not sure what your sources are for this, but we have been to Roatan several times, so our comment is from real experience rather than rumor or innuendo...

Roatan is delightful. When we are looking for another cruise we always consider whether visiting is possible.

We would like a week long land vacation in Roatan.

How far do you have to walk from the ship to where Boden desk is. I have difficulty walking very far. Thanks, Linda

The walk from the pier to the shops is a very shot distance. You'll walk between the 2 buildings and the various tours have their rep there. Taxi is a few yards away. I'm putting up a link to a picture, the pier is in the lower right of the shot. The two buildings with shops are easily recognized.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+of+coxen+hole&view=detailv2&&id=6AC76C28B401849BD7D7009F8AB598CA9BF72A31&selectedIndex=119&ccid=zYQEU8y9&simid=608005304060479571&thid=OIP.Mcd840453ccbdd933a5289ef20ee75deco0&ajaxhist=0

I would encourage you to venture out of the port area. Some great little shops with great local wood products and such. If you turn right out of the port and walk about 50 to 60 yards you'll find the shop Made in Roatan. It was started a few years ago by some missionary friends of ours, Bob and Debi. They teach folks how to make jewelry and such and then sell it in the store. Bob and Debi cover the rent from donations so the money made goes right to the artist to support their family. It's the true "teach a man to fish concept".

http://made-in-roatan.com/

For those worried about crime, be smart. The guides you're with will not put you in a situation that is not safe. You, on the other hand, need to wear very casual and comfortable cloths. Bring money and a credit card (just in case),keep in a zipped pocket and keep jewelry to a minimum.

Be prepared for something unexpected. We decided to go zip lining at South Shore one trip late in the day and back then they only took cash. 6 adults and 1 child, I subtracted the tip for our driver and then the 2 guides and after we all emptied our pockets we were told we had enough for the late in the day discount rate and we were off. I think it was close to half off and we had a blast. Made the ship with 30 minutes to spare.

The walk from the pier to the shops is a very shot distance. You'll walk between the 2 buildings and the various tours have their rep there. Taxi is a few yards away. I'm putting up a link to a picture, the pier is in the lower right of the shot. The two buildings with shops are easily recognized.

These directions are good for Coxen Hole. The poster you replied to is on HAL and will dock at Mahogany Bay.

Originally Posted by retdon

I suggest that you ask the Bodden people about this. Contact with non-CCL tours at Mahogany Bay usually requires a little hike up and over a hill.

It may be that the Bodden folks have a solution that I am not aware of.

I am not sure what your sources are for this, but we have been to Roatan several times, so our comment is from real experience rather than rumor or innuendo...

Roatan is delightful. When we are looking for another cruise we always consider whether visiting is possible.

We would like a week long land vacation in Roatan.

There is occasional violence on the island, just as there is anywhere. A few years ago the crew member who was shot very close to the cruise port was on everyone's mind, including the cruise company. The Aussie who was shot in West End was a very sad story. The American guy who was flashing far to much cash in a bad part of town didn't make it out alive. Just last year I talked with a lady who didn't do her research and was taken for a very expensive taxi ride, never did get to the beach, she was just glad she and her daughter got back to the ship. While Roatan is an island off the coast of Honduras, Honduras mainland is the murder capital of the world. Indeed there is all kinds of information out there about the possibility of bad things on the island.

I do not tell anyone they will be safe because if they behave in an unsafe manner...there is a chance they will be unsafe. People forget it is an island off the coast of a third world county, some of the locals are very desperate indeed.

With all that said, I am a solo female traveler, I take precautions NOT to get noticed. I have been to the island many times staying up to three months. I have wandered the whole of the island in cars, on scooters and on my feet, I have never had so much as a hint of odd directed at me.

To the OP ~ If you go on a proper tour with one of the top tours companies, there is a very good chance, no matter how you behave, you will be fine. Safety in numbers with locals to care for you, easy peasy.

• 1 month later...
There is occasional violence on the island, just as there is anywhere. A few years ago the crew member who was shot very close to the cruise port was on everyone's mind, including the cruise company. The Aussie who was shot in West End was a very sad story. The American guy who was flashing far to much cash in a bad part of town didn't make it out alive. Just last year I talked with a lady who didn't do her research and was taken for a very expensive taxi ride, never did get to the beach, she was just glad she and her daughter got back to the ship. While Roatan is an island off the coast of Honduras, Honduras mainland is the murder capital of the world. Indeed there is all kinds of information out there about the possibility of bad things on the island.

I do not tell anyone they will be safe because if they behave in an unsafe manner...there is a chance they will be unsafe. People forget it is an island off the coast of a third world county, some of the locals are very desperate indeed.

With all that said, I am a solo female traveler, I take precautions NOT to get noticed. I have been to the island many times staying up to three months. I have wandered the whole of the island in cars, on scooters and on my feet, I have never had so much as a hint of odd directed at me.

To the OP ~ If you go on a proper tour with one of the top tours companies, there is a very good chance, no matter how you behave, you will be fine. Safety in numbers with locals to care for you, easy peasy.

Out of curiosity where is your favorite place to stay/favorite restaurant on the Island? We normally stay in Condos near West Bay.

Out of curiosity where is your favorite place to stay/favorite restaurant on the Island? We normally stay in Condos near West Bay.

Good day to you,

I s'pose it depends in my mood, bank account and how much time I have. One year I was in Paya Bay for a week, Camp Bay for a few days, CocoView for a few days, West Bay for several weeks and Sandy Bay for a week. I wanted to check out the snorkeling about the island.

I stayed in West End for two months one year and six weeks another year. I have stayed in Palmetto Bay for several weeks and was in a house the opposite side of the island from West Bay for a few weeks one year. I stayed in a house on the hill behind Sandy Bay one year and a house on the beach another.

I started going down before the cruise ships found the place. My first visit was in 2000 for ten days, I stayed in West Bay because I wanted to be close enough to town to walk to town but not part of the party scene, the last time I was down it was six weeks in West Bay.

Because I stay for extended amounts of time I save money by not eating out. I have found I can feed myself for $10us a day if I walk/mini bus into Coxen Hole once a week and cook for-myself.

As far as recommendations, it all depends on what one needs in accommodation. When I choose, it is all about a private balcony with a sea view.

Good day to you,

I s'pose it depends in my mood, bank account and how much time I have. One year I was in Paya Bay for a week, Camp Bay for a few days, CocoView for a few days, West Bay for several weeks and Sandy Bay for a week. I wanted to check out the snorkeling about the island.

I stayed in West End for two months one year and six weeks another year. I have stayed in Palmetto Bay for several weeks and was in a house the opposite side of the island from West Bay for a few weeks one year. I stayed in a house on the hill behind Sandy Bay one year and a house on the beach another.

I started going down before the cruise ships found the place. My first visit was in 2000 for ten days, I stayed in West Bay because I wanted to be close enough to town to walk to town but not part of the party scene, the last time I was down it was six weeks in West Bay.

Because I stay for extended amounts of time I save money by not eating out. I have found I can feed myself for $10us a day if I walk/mini bus into Coxen Hole once a week and cook for-myself.

As far as recommendations, it all depends on what one needs in accommodation. When I choose, it is all about a private balcony with a sea view.

Guest 2000, may I ask where your favorite snorkel spots are? We have been to West Bay many times, looking for a different spot next month. Any suggestions on Roatan? Also Belize, Cozumel and Grand Cayman if you have any recommendations at those stops as well. Thank so much!

Please put my mind at ease with the tour we have booked on Routan with Victor Bodden. It is a private tour for 4 women ($25/each) We will first go horseback riding and then go zip-lining. Are we taking our lives into our own hands?! A friend thinks I'm nuts for signing us up for this package, and go past the point of no return from the ship!.

I like the idea of visiting other countries, but also want to leave in one piece!

Thoughts/advice/warnings??? What do I need to know and how do I keep myself and my friends safe??

All drama aside, My friend and I are getting a bit nervous about the area and how violent it can be. If we go and meet Victor after we leave the port, then what? He will take us horseback riding (I suspect a relative of some kind). Will that be safe? After the horses, is the zip lines.

What do you all think, am I crazy for signing us up for this?! If I am, please pull me back now!

Thanks!

This will be our 5th time to Roatan and we have used Victor Bodden every time. Never felt unsafe at all. You'll have a great time, it's a beautiful island!

Guest 2000, may I ask where your favorite snorkel spots are? We have been to West Bay many times, looking for a different spot next month. Any suggestions on Roatan? Also Belize, Cozumel and Grand Cayman if you have any recommendations at those stops as well. Thank so much!

The West End of the island is popular because the reef comes so very close to the shore. I had to take a boat through the mangrove to the other side of the island when I stayed in Camp Bay. Paya Bay offers snorkle boats twice daily but I believe that end of the island, because it is not protected, has lower fish counts, the corals and flora are fun but it seems less critters to me.

I very much enjoyed my few days playing in Coco View's "Front Yard", they do not allow day passes but I believe Fantasy Island does, one would need to swim the channel between the two resorts.

I loved Sandy Bay snorkeling but ya have to get past the shallows either by unlocked prier, kayak or swimming. The place I was staying in Sandy Bay had a pier. They also took us out in a boat one day to see the reef a bit farther way. It was all very good fun with not another soul around.

Half Moon Bay entertains but the boat traffic can be a hassle.

So, my answer is pretty much any of the reef within the Roatan Marine Park, which runs Sandy Bay to the end of the Island in West Bay. The worry is access, one needs to be a strong swimmer, experienced with a kayak or hire a local with a boat. I took an inflatable kayak down with me one year, I paddled from West Bay to West End and swam back with snorkel gear, I towed the kayak with a rope around my waist, this acted as a location device for the water taxi guys. I was out near the reef a few times but the wind coming over the island and whipping across the water suggested I might be blown to Utila if I was not careful. I found a sweet spot between the reef and the island with less wind, I very much enjoy following turtles and seeing the small things. There is a patch of coral/rock not to distance from Bite in the Beach I found interesting, or swim all the way to the reef from there, just watch the water taxi.

I have always thought it would be fun to do a drift snorkel from West End to West Bay, hire a boat to follow..this way you can find spots that attract you and go back either with a kayak or perhaps a local with a boat. It all depends on comfort level. If that matter hire the guy for two days and do Sandy Bay as well.

We took the Victor Bodden tour in November and did not enjoy it. We requested to go to the monkey place, then to West End beach. Our guide drove us around the slums for about 30 minutes (going the opposite direction). We then drove back another 30 minutes to the monkey place. We live in a big city and travel quite a bit, but it was still unnerving for us. We spent about 20 minutes at the monkey place (additional charge). We really disliked West End beach. Narrow beach, very crowded (with only one ship in town), and dirty. I know that people say that it is one of the best beaches, but not for us. We have been to much, much, better beaches. We did eat at Beachers, which was very good. We did not go ziplining or horse back riding so that may be a better experience for you. We will however not return to mainland Roatan. We will take a private snorkeling excursion off of the mainland if we ever return.

We took the Victor Bodden tour in November and did not enjoy it. We requested to go to the monkey place, then to West End beach. Our guide drove us around the slums for about 30 minutes (going the opposite direction). We then drove back another 30 minutes to the monkey place. We live in a big city and travel quite a bit, but it was still unnerving for us. We spent about 20 minutes at the monkey place (additional charge). We really disliked West End beach. Narrow beach, very crowded (with only one ship in town), and dirty. I know that people say that it is one of the best beaches, but not for us. We have been to much, much, better beaches. We did eat at Beachers, which was very good. We did not go ziplining or horse back riding so that may be a better experience for you. We will however not return to mainland Roatan. We will take a private snorkeling excursion off of the mainland if we ever return.

Roatan is an island off the coast of a third world country, one is going to see very desperate people and rough places.

The village of West End is a different place than West Bay Beach, where Beacher's is located. I have never seen West Bay Beach dirty with trash, I have seen the water mucky from storm run off, and I have seen heaps of seaweed, also due to storms. I would imagine the beauty of the place is weather and mood dependent.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the island, as an alternative, Free Radical is a catamaran with amazing food, spot on staff and snorkeling.

. We really disliked West End beach. Narrow beach, very crowded (with only one ship in town), and dirty. I

I have only seen poor comments on CC about West End beach.

West Bay Beach is entirely different, beautiful, with great facilities and wonderful snorkeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only seen poor comments on CC about West End beach.

West Bay Beach is entirely different, beautiful, with great facilities and wonderful snorkeling.

I do not know of a bit of sand called West End Beach. There is shore line with sand in West End but I would not describe it as beach. Half Moon Bay Beach is in West End, I am not sure why people would say poor things about it.

One of the times I arrived on the island I was struck by much more sand on West Bay Beach, I asked one of the locals why. She said "Depending on weather and mood of the sea it will either leave sand or take it way." This would suggest sometimes there is more sand and some times the beach is more narrow.

Like so many things in the world, narrow or not is subjective. If one compares West Bay Beach to Virginia Beach indeed West Bay is narrow, as well as small, very small. I also believe West Bay to be far more beautiful than Virginia Beach. :)

To each their own.

Edited by Guest 2000