How to split the cost with 5 in a cabin?

jpcdds6

My daughter and four of her college friends are sailing the Breakaway out of New York for spring break. First two get the UBP, and 3rd and 4th sail free. They are also going to split the Internet package. It would be around $743 per person if they split it evenly, but I think the two that have UBP should pay more, and they agree. Any ideas on how to make it as fair as possible? They are in an ocean view that fits 5. Gonna be a lot of fun when they are getting ready for dinner at the same time I would imagine. Cabin 5178 will need a refurb after that cruise.

Edited by jpcdds6

Find out normal cost of UBP x 2. Deduct that from what their bill was (even if 2 sail free...it's not reasonable that they won't pay anything kwim? Obviously their free rent brings down overall cost pp instead). That result is each person's cut but now you need to add in a full cost drink pkg to the two drinkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For example: assume $4000 total cruise bill that includes 2 sailing free and 2 drinking for free. Drink package pp is normally $400 - or $800 for 2. Deduct the 800 from 4000 for 3200. Now divide the 3200 by #of cruisers (5) for $640. Each of the cruisers pays $640 which is I'm assuming a nice discount? However, the 2 drinkers pay an additional $400 for their drink pkg. So the 2 drinkers each pay $1040 and get the cruise and a UDP for that cost. The other 3 who won't be having the benefit of unlimited alcohol will pay only $640. Does that help? Lol

I agree that they should split the bar tab at the end of the cruise. Sure it is complicated, will require math, organization and collaboration, but hey, that is what college is for. They should discuss it openly before hand and make sure everyone agrees, maybe even making a drinks fund in advance.

They should also discuss sleeping arrangements. Two of the beds are far more comfortable than the others. When we have that situation we divide nights for the better situation. You get first 3, and I get next 3. Then we will have a game for the final night. Trivial Pursuit, poker, or even walking with a book on your head contest. It makes it fun and re-enforces cohesion and camaraderie.

I forgot that everyone is probably trying to benefit financially from the UDP being offered to 2 people. That's easy. Have them all pay the $743 up front.

Then at the end just tally up the drink bills from the 3 kids NOT on the package - because the first 2 have been "comped" so it doesn't matter what they did or didn't drink - and divide that by 5 at the end of the cruise and that's what they all need to pay.

Assume these bills at end of cruise:

Cruiser 3 = $400

Cruiser 4 = $500

Cruiser 5 = $600

That's a total drink bill of $1500 that ALL FIVE now divide. Each pays $300....including the first 2 cruisers.

I forgot that everyone is probably trying to benefit financially from the UDP being offered to 2 people. That's easy. Have them all pay the $743 up front.

Then at the end just tally up the drink bills from the 3 kids NOT on the package - because the first 2 have been "comped" so it doesn't matter what they did or didn't drink - and divide that by 5 at the end of the cruise and that's what they all need to pay.

Assume these bills at end of cruise:

Cruiser 3 = $400

Cruiser 4 = $500

Cruiser 5 = $600

That's a total drink bill of $1500 that ALL FIVE now divide. Each pays $300....including the first 2 cruisers.

Exactly. And that being said, the 2 heaviest drinkers should be listed as pax 1 and 2.

I would split the cost of the cabin 5 ways....each person will have their OWN ACCOUNT, so there is no need to "split" the cost of any personal purchases...each person pays for their own stuff! The CABIN will be paid for BEFORE they even board the ship....from that point on, it's everyone on their own!

Edited by cb at sea

I would split the cost of the cabin 5 ways....each person will have their OWN ACCOUNT, so there is no need to "split" the cost of any personal purchases...each person pays for their own stuff! The CABIN will be paid for BEFORE they even board the ship....from that point on, it's everyone on their own!

This can't work because the 1st 2 cruisers won't have a bill for drinks at all, while the other 3 will.

Stupid Question, doesn't Norwegian require all individuals in the same cabin to purchase UBP? "Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise."

Stupid Question, doesn't Norwegian require all individuals in the same cabin to purchase UBP? "Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise."

Right. But that doesn't apply when the first 2 aren't purchasing it -- they are receiving it as a promo.

Right. But that doesn't apply when the first 2 aren't purchasing it -- they are receiving it as a promo.

So are the other 3 required to also buy one? IF so, they could just split the cost of those 3 pkgs 5 ways and have at it.

I would have them all split the cost of the cabin. The first 2 passengers have the promo for the drinks (although they will each have to pay $100 for the tax and gratuity). The bar bill at the end should be divided by 5 but the first 2 passengers pay !100 less of that split (because they already put $100 up front). And I agree the heaviest drinkers should be passenger 1 and 2

Why not split the cost of the cruise by 5 then buy the drink package for the other 3 and split that amount by 5 also. That way everyone is getting the same cruise for the same price.

This is exactly what I would do. Everyone should get the UBP, it would be a disaster divvying up the bill at the end of the trip.

The girls with the free UBP will feel resentful every time someone orders a cash drink. Trust me....I was once a college aged girl. It's best if hey all get on board having all that nonsense taken care of.

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

I have a different approach based on how we always allocated rooms in College. (5 of us split a different house every year). We had a few economics majors so we tried to use incentives and find everyone's best price. That could also work here.

You need to find out who values the UBP the most and get them to pay what they think it is worth. You could bid or something but that is complicated.

I would assign a price for each spot in the room and then draw names and let people choose in order what they want. So maybe $850 for the two people who get UBP and a proper bed. $700 for the other 2 who get a comfortable bed and $650 for whoever gets stuck in the pull out couch or other weird berth. Someone might actually choose the worst and therefore cheapest option if they are more price sensitive and heavier drinkers would choose to pay more of UBP. The key is to discuss and agree on the prices before you choose who picks first. They might value the UBP more than I suggested if everyone plans to drink a lot.

Why not pass on all of the freebies? Cheaper for you and the kids can pay for their OWN booze if they want it. Let's face it, 5 18 year olds drinking unlimited liquor for a week will probably result in them all getting excrement faced anyway. I know kids just want to have fun, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea. :eek:

Probably worth keeping an eye out for late deals to split into two cabins to get the extra bathroom.

I would also have picked a cabin closer to the forward elevators for quicker access to facilities in the spa/gym.

Also just up a flight to the public RR on deck 6.

(Rule No1. No.2 never in the cabin)

Splitting costs really depends on the drinking dynamics.

We find that in groups all having the package tends to work best unless you have a real lightweights(like we do) then they are definitely better PAYG.