Cancel fees?

Cruizann

My DH and I just moved from an obstructed oceanview to a non obstructed oceanview and paid the difference between the two staterooms (this was not an upsell offer). We have noticed that on our billing notice at the bottom it says that we owe 59.60 canadian cancel fees. Does anyone know please what this charge is for. Thank you.

My DH and I just moved from an obstructed oceanview to a non obstructed oceanview and paid the difference between the two staterooms (this was not an upsell offer). We have noticed that on our billing notice at the bottom it says that we owe 59.60 canadian cancel fees. Does anyone know please what this charge is for. Thank you.

Depends :). Did you book directly with the cruise line, or did you book through a travel/cruise agent. I ask because many cruise and travel agencies charge their own cancellation fees. If you were dealing directly with a cruise line and they charged you that fee...it might be worth a phone call to ask them the question.

If this did happen with an agency and it is the same agency you used for your latest booking, we would give them a call and complain. I would specifically try to get to their manager (or owner) and explain that you do not think there should be a cancellation fee since you simply changed the reservation. If they still insisted on the fee I would tell them, OK, you will get your money and you will never get any future business from me or anyone within shouting distance :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you for your advise. We did book directly with Holland America as we always do and and we have paid extra to change staterooms before and never had to pay cancel fees. I will call Holland America in the morning to ask about this fee.

Thank you for your advise. We did book directly with Holland America as we always do and and we have paid extra to change staterooms before and never had to pay cancel fees. I will call Holland America in the morning to ask about this fee.

I have never heard of this from HAL before. Could it be due to the change in Canadian currency value since you first booked???

I have never heard of this from HAL before. Could it be due to the change in Canadian currency value since you first booked???

You beat me to the punch! I was thinking the same thing. I would guess the upsell was quoted in US dollars and the difference is the conversion.