Full fare prices for infant of 5 months

v6dude

I just found out that I am required to pay full fare for my infant for my trip next year when he/she will be around 5-6 months in December 2006. I can't believe Royal can't do anything. I thought I was being proactive by calling to figure out my finances for next years family reunion. But to find out that it's a full fare just baffles me.

Does anyone know if I can get around it and who I could speak to? Just can't get across the thought of paying so much when my little one will only be consuming breast milk.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think there is any way around it. On this board I have read several threads regarding the same situation, and everyone agrees that this is what is charged. They do go at the 3rd person rate if they are the 3rd person in the cabin.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Most all cruiselines have the same age restrictions, and for various reasons. One of them being that ships are allowed only so many passengers, and the child is included in the passenger quota.

The reasons given have been many, but basically your baby is still taking up a "berth". There is only a limited number of passengers allowed on a ship. Doesn't matter if its three in a room or two, 6 months or 60years old, there is a total cap on number of passengers for safety reasons. Your child will still get a life jacket and a spot on the life boats. Additionally, your child still creates expenses. Laundry from sheets, garbage (dirty diapers), electricity and heat (baths!). These are all the reasons given for charging a fare to your infant. Some cruises run specials where the 3rd and 4th passendger in the cabin is free (excluding taxes and port fees) or reduced fares for children, but during peak seasons you won't necessarily see these deals.

Also, you may want to check your cruiseline. Some may not let children under the age of 6 months on board. Sounds like you are currently expecting and it could be close based on when you deliver. They will know the actual date of birth as you need it to board, so even if your child is less than 6 months, they will know. You may want to verify that.

Yes, depending on when you get back you may need a passport for the baby to get back. Also do not take the baby into the pools, please.

I get charged double even though I travel by myself. I do not eat enough for two and they get to book a third person at the reduced rate. It is the price of cruising if you wish to go.

Well said CaptData........

There are only so many Pax allowed, regardless of age. The number of berths is strictly controlled by both the class of ship and the Coast Guard.

If you wish to cruise that will be the price you pay!!

Hey we took our 9 month old on the NCL Sun last Feb., We were only charged port taxes, Not much and tips price, not 1/2 or full fare, Up to age two. But their kids service WILL not have anything to do with them untill 12:01 a.m. after there 2nd birthday!. As for pool, you can swim in the great lakes and most of lakes, in the U.S. (not me), but thimble of baby peepee will kill?;) The staff could not help enough in food service though. Milk cartons from breakfast etc went back to room fridge. Take alot of diapers, they are worth more $ than gold on ship and near ports!:eek:

Well said CaptData........

There are only so many Pax allowed, regardless of age. The number of berths is strictly controlled by both the class of ship and the Coast Guard.

If you wish to cruise that will be the price you pay!!

And are you sure that each cabin goes out with its full compliment of people. Our outside could hold 4, had 2, as most did. I think if say 3/4 of rooms are full and ONE ,8 month old will throw them over a safe load zone for life boats.I will pass on sailing. Excursions don't charge till over 3 , or atleast the ones I do bussiness with.:cool:

As for pool, you can swim in the great lakes and most of lakes, in the U.S. (not me), but thimble of baby peepee will kill?;)

Babies are not allowed in the pools. Please do not take them in the pools. It's unhygienic and there's a reason for the rule. The pool is not a Great Lake, I don't know how you can make that comparison. Why do you think it's okay for you to break the rules? :mad:

No offense intended, I just really don't want to swim in your child's pee - not to mention that babies aren't able to control that other function. Please consider the comfort of the other passengers. :)

And are you sure that each cabin goes out with its full compliment of people. Our outside could hold 4' date=' had 2, as most did. I think if say 3/4 of rooms are full and ONE ,8 month old will throw them over a safe load zone for life boats.I will pass on sailing. Excursions don't charge till over 3 , or atleast the ones I do bussiness with.:cool:[/quote']

Your logic makes no sense........... What are they supposed to do, not charge for kids at all, if and until the ship fill up, and if it does go back and get the fare price from the parents then??

I think it is difficult to accept costs when one starts having children....but as a parent of three, I have been grateful for the breaks that are given to families...however I really have felt through the years that it has been unfair to singles and childless couples...because after all we made the choice to have children so we should pay the price.

But I do think there should be some type of break for a child under two paying full fare for a 5 month old is crazy.....I guess that is the cruise lines way of saying leave your infants at home.....but if it is a family reunion, how can you.... go and have a great time, its only money.

Is the OP travelling with just her baby or is the baby a third person?? If travelling with just the two of them, she can look at it as the single supplement or the full fare for the baby.... If the baby is a third person, then she shouldn't be getting charged a full fare, but the third person fare.

I just found out that I am required to pay full fare for my infant for my trip next year when he/she will be around 5-6 months in December 2006. I can't believe Royal can't do anything. I thought I was being proactive by calling to figure out my finances for next years family reunion. But to find out that it's a full fare just baffles me.

Does anyone know if I can get around it and who I could speak to? Just can't get across the thought of paying so much when my little one will only be consuming breast milk.

Thanks for your help.

I can only surmise that your infant is the 2nd person in the cabin, and that is the reason for the full fare. The second passenger always pays full fare.

If you werre a single most cruise lines charge 150% to 200% because of the lost opportunity to sell the cabin to two, the most common booking. If your child is the third he/she should travel at a reduced rate.

Do I assume correct that the child is the 2nd ocupant?

Thanks for your help.

Not only is it full fare but people I met on Mariner of the Seas said they did not even get the 3rd and 4th person discount for the stateroom. The baby's fare was just as much as the Mom and Dad's.

I thought that stunk too. The baby eats none of the food, not exactly old enough to enjoy any of the entertainment. Not allowed in the pool of course-(the poop problem-which we are glad the baby is not allowed in the pool)

I asked why did they not see if they could leave the baby with the grandparents and they said because the grandparents were on the cruise too as they were having a family cruise. and the other set of grandparents both still worked and also lived in another town- So they were not in a position to take the baby to daycare.

Hey we took our 9 month old on the NCL Sun last Feb.' date=' We were only charged port taxes, Not much and tips price, not 1/2 or full fare, Up to age two. But their kids service WILL not have anything to do with them untill 12:01 a.m. after there 2nd birthday!. As for pool, you can swim in the great lakes and most of lakes, in the U.S. (not me), but thimble of baby peepee will kill?;) The staff could not help enough in food service though. Milk cartons from breakfast etc went back to room fridge. Take alot of diapers, they are worth more $ than gold on ship and near ports!:eek:[/quote']

Pee is not the problem. It is poop. Have you ever heard of ecoli? There was an outbreak at White Water in the Atlanta area about 10 yrs. ago. Several children died-all because of an infant or small child who pooped in the kid's pool. White Water actually went bankrupt because of the law suits-it is now owned by Six Flags. Now there are squirt, run off, areas at White Water for the little ones.

Unfortunately small children tend to swallow water-so THEY are the ones in danger from this. If your child is allowed in the pool - then so are other children and it may be that other child's pooping in the pool that kills your child. Be glad of that rule.

By the way Disney ships have a squirt area for the little ones not potty trained. Many complain it is supercrowded because of all the kids on that ship-and Disney is pricy-but at least they do have that for the little ones.

RCI could charge reduced rates for babies if they cared to do so as evidenced by other cruise lines having reduced rates. But RCI, like any business, will charge as much as people will pay. So there must be enough parents willing to pay for their babies thus RCI doesn't have reduced baby prices. If RCI were ever to loose enough business over this issue, I am sure they would implement baby rates. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, though. As long as they make their cruise line enticing enough for the adults, the babies will follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's feedback. It definitely is a shocker to hear that even my 5 month old is required to pay the 3rd person fare. I've written a letter to Royal so we're hoping to get a respone from them soon. As for leaving my child with the other set of parents. I don't think this is possible as it is a reunion cruise. Why would I leave my newborn at home? If I need to pay, what can I do if I want to go?

Archived