Full fare prices for infant of 5 months

v6dude

I get charged double even though I travel by myself. I do not eat enough for two and they get to book a third person at the reduced rate. It is the price of cruising if you wish to go.

I know what you mean. I just checked into a "quickie" cruise departing from my city next April on NCL. The price was pretty good and there would be no airfare involved. I called my TA and had her check into the single supplement. Well, let's just say it's not a very good deal anymore. That single supplement is darned near 100%!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I know what you mean. I just checked into a "quickie" cruise departing from my city next April on NCL. The price was pretty good and there would be no airfare involved. I called my TA and had her check into the single supplement. Well, let's just say it's not a very good deal anymore. That single supplement is darned near 100%!

In some cases, it's MORE than 100%. My aunt frequently sails solo and on two occasions in the past few years she has had to pay MORE than double for her cabin. For simplification sake, let's say that two people in a double cabin would have to pay $500 each, but she, in a single cabin, had to pay $1200. I'm told the justification for this is that the cruiseline is being denied the revenue that the extra person would generate, i.e. gambling, alcohol purchases, gift shop sales, spa services, tips, etc.

I'm surprised they haven't found a way to tack on a surcharge for those of us who don't drink a lot, gamble or buy over-priced chachkies in the gift shops.

GrannyJ, I've never heard of any cruise line charging more than double (200%) of a cruise fare, and I've cruised as a single on most of the mass market lines and on all four of the luxury lines.

Maybe it's only during some peak cruise periods, but she definitely was charged more than double (200%) of the cruise fare on those two occasions. I don't know exactly when the cruises were, but I'll ask her the next time I talk to her.

• 2 months later...

I just found out the same thing!!!! We just had a baby girl, and my wife and I were thinking of taking a cruise before she goes back to work. We where told we had to pay a full fare for our 2 month old infant. Carnival Cruise Line said we could'nt even cruise with them until she was 6 months old. Our doctor said that it was O.K. to travel, and lucky for us she is a good baby (so far. Hope she stays that way).

Anyway..... I'm with you. She only eats breast milk, and won't utilize any kids programs (she's too young anyway, and their policy won't let her use them until she is 24 months anyway).

I was told there may be a couple of cruise lines that won't charge you for infants. Does anyone know of any????

Yes, depending on when you get back you may need a passport for the baby to get back. Also do not take the baby into the pools, please.

I get charged double even though I travel by myself. I do not eat enough for two and they get to book a third person at the reduced rate. It is the price of cruising if you wish to go.

There are things called "swimming diapers". I have seen more adults piss in the pool than I have seen infants do it. I also don't agree with the cruise line policy about charging for a minimum of two people (but can understand the reasons) especially since most ships NEVER leave with the maximum number of passengers allowed.

Hey we took our 9 month old on the NCL Sun last Feb.' date=' We were only charged port taxes, Not much and tips price, not 1/2 or full fare, Up to age two. But their kids service WILL not have anything to do with them untill 12:01 a.m. after there 2nd birthday!. As for pool, you can swim in the great lakes and most of lakes, in the U.S. (not me), but thimble of baby peepee will kill?;) The staff could not help enough in food service though. Milk cartons from breakfast etc went back to room fridge. Take alot of diapers, they are worth more $ than gold on ship and near ports!:eek:[/quote']

Thanks for the info!!!!

There are things called "swimming diapers". I have seen more adults piss in the pool than I have seen infants do it. I also don't agree with the cruise line policy about charging for a minimum of two people (but can understand the reasons) especially since most ships NEVER leave with the maximum number of passengers allowed.

But the swim diapers don't prevent the bacteria from any poop from getting into the water. It's not the pee that we're all worried about.

And are you sure that each cabin goes out with its full compliment of people. Our outside could hold 4' date=' had 2, as most did. I think if say 3/4 of rooms are full and ONE ,8 month old will throw them over a safe load zone for life boats.I will pass on sailing. Excursions don't charge till over 3 , or atleast the ones I do bussiness with.:cool:[/quote']

AMEN!!!

Take this example - You are flying and the baby behind you is crying.

You have paid full fair and that child is riding free.

Disregarding that it is a baby - it is a fellow passenger that is disrupting your travel - your quiet - your space.

Airlines have choosen to give free or discounted seats to parents with infants - but there is a growing cry to restrict the seating of them.

As a cruise passenger you expect and have paid for certain things. If a drunk disturbs you - you can report them to the ships officers. But if a baby cries - you just can't stuff a sock in it to keep it quiet

The control is not the same.

Good babies - bad babies - it doesn't matter. They do effect the enviroment and surroundings they are in, some to a greater extent than others.

If a child is crying in the next cabin for two days will the cruise line discount the surrounding cabins for the noise ? I would doubt it.

Cruise ship have to determine - is it better to support the enviroment that the non-baby cruisers want or should they go for the extra buck and accept the child, and try to balance the anger of a pissed off childless cruiser.

Reading these posts - some cruise line have choosen with clariety and some are muddy in their criteria.

Even though I've been hanging out on these boards for a while now, I have to say I am shocked by the antichild sentiment on this one. Surely you must encounter both children and other people who annoy you every day everywhere. I know cruise lines are either more or less child friendly, but unless a vacation venue promises to be child free, kids are out there everywhere. Are they a conflict for so many people everywhere, everyday, or is it just on vacation that you want to be sans children?

for some of us, yes. and moreso the lack of parenting being done than the children themselves. If I am celebrating a special date..anniversary, birthday, whatever, at an upscale restaurant, I don't want my mood ruined by the toddler seated across the way screeching it's little lungs out while Mommie and Daddie blissfully ignore it. Or the five year old running around tripping up the waitstaff causing crashed plates and possible injury.

Some people choose to take their vacations without their children, and resent being subjected to other peoples', no matter how well behaved they are.

What bothers others is the sense of entitlement some parents can have.. 'I am a parent, therefore I deserve free stuff or a better deal.' I don't care that a child is only breastfeeding.. like others have pointed out.. they still generate work for the staff.. clean sheets, disposal of waste, additional little amusements to keep them occupied and not a disturbance. Safety concerns.. they take up space in a life boat.

Can't have it both ways.. just like that woman who tried to argue that her fetus was the second passenger inthe HOV lanes.. if that were to be so, then she should be paying for two at the local all you can eat buffet, or a second ticket to the ball game.. but try and enforce THAT, and cries of unfairness and discrimination will follow.

I think that it is a great idea to charge full fare for children of all ages. It will keept down the amount of children on board.

how rude ...

you must not have kids ...

do children bother you that much? if they do ignore them, dont make a comment like that...

Take this example - You are flying and the baby behind you is crying.

You have paid full fair and that child is riding free.

Disregarding that it is a baby - it is a fellow passenger that is disrupting your travel - your quiet - your space.

Airlines have choosen to give free or discounted seats to parents with infants - but there is a growing cry to restrict the seating of them.

As a cruise passenger you expect and have paid for certain things. If a drunk disturbs you - you can report them to the ships officers. But if a baby cries - you just can't stuff a sock in it to keep it quiet

The control is not the same.

Good babies - bad babies - it doesn't matter. They do effect the enviroment and surroundings they are in, some to a greater extent than others.

If a child is crying in the next cabin for two days will the cruise line discount the surrounding cabins for the noise ? I would doubt it.

Cruise ship have to determine - is it better to support the enviroment that the non-baby cruisers want or should they go for the extra buck and accept the child, and try to balance the anger of a pissed off childless cruiser.

Reading these posts - some cruise line have choosen with clariety and some are muddy in their criteria.

yeah but if you hear crying children,, ignore it , it only bothers certain types of people i think...

and they should have the right to travel as well, anywhere on anything . plane, ship , train etc....

yeah but if you hear crying children,, ignore it , it only bothers certain types of people i think...

and they should have the right to travel as well, anywhere on anything . plane, ship , train etc....

They DO have the right to travel, and I think they have the right to pay full fare also.

As a grandfather who footed the bill for the current visit of our daughter and granddaughter, I can sympathize with someone who'd like a break in price. But I also understand that infants will cry, fuss, etc. and am constantly amazed at how defensive parents get at their "RIGHT" to subject others to this. "just ignore it" really isn't a pleasant option at dinner for the other diners, so I've always taken my offending child to a more private location until the outburst is over, it's common courtesy but doesn't seem to be practiced much.

All I can say to the OP is get used to it, the expense has just begun. In the little one's lifetime you'll be out a whole lot more than a cruise fare over all kinds of things you'd never even expect. They're worth every penny, but boy oh boy do kids run into some money.

Our's leave for home 2 days before our cruise, and I'm really gonna need the vacation... I'm already exhausted.

Garrick

They DO have the right to travel, and I think they have the right to pay full fare also.

As a grandfather who footed the bill for the current visit of our daughter and granddaughter, I can sympathize with someone who'd like a break in price. But I also understand that infants will cry, fuss, etc. and am constantly amazed at how defensive parents get at their "RIGHT" to subject others to this. "just ignore it" really isn't a pleasant option at dinner for the other diners, so I've always taken my offending child to a more private location until the outburst is over, it's common courtesy but doesn't seem to be practiced much.

All I can say to the OP is get used to it, the expense has just begun. In the little one's lifetime you'll be out a whole lot more than a cruise fare over all kinds of things you'd never even expect. They're worth every penny, but boy oh boy do kids run into some money.

Our's leave for home 2 days before our cruise, and I'm really gonna need the vacation... I'm already exhausted.

Garrick

I agree about the dinner part.. and there are parents who do not take control and dont care about other people ,, but not me, thats for sure, if my kid is screaming like crazy at dinner annoying everyone else, i will take her somewhere else... thats for sure

i was mostly referring to like in any other area on the boat... not the places where it should be peaceful, but it does have a lot to do with parenting as well i agree there..

but the price for 2nd person is the same no matter the age,, i agree with that. the 3rd and 4th is always a discounted rate..

i was just upset by the one post where she said ,, thats good then no kids will come on , or whatever,, i was like OK<< thats just a rude comment to someone who was asking a question re : her child,, i think ,,

oh well. weve never taken our daughter , shes 5 on a cruise but we are in november and shes well behaved so im not worried about it,,

i did wait until this age since i knew it would be hard for us as well with a little one onboard

melissa

What bothers others is the sense of entitlement some parents can have.. 'I am a parent, therefore I deserve free stuff or a better deal.' I don't care that a child is only breastfeeding.. like others have pointed out.. they still generate work for the staff.. clean sheets, disposal of waste, additional little amusements to keep them occupied and not a disturbance. Safety concerns.. they take up space in a life boat.

Read what you are paying for in your contract the baby takes none of that up. Except for maybe sheets.

A baby doesn't even come close to the consumption of resources that an adult does and it is preposterous to charge them the same $$ as it would cost for a full sized adult or even a child.

There are things called "swimming diapers". I have seen more adults piss in the pool than I have seen infants do it.

First off, Carnival's policy states that children are not allowed pools if they are not pottie trianed.

Secondly, you have not seen adults piss in the pool, and if you have... well, that's just plain weird...:eek:

Hey, swimming diapers are great for your kids or grandkids. IF you own the pool yourself. Then you know you can shock it when they're done and keep bathers from getting anything. The thing with the ship's pool is that they don't know if your child "did" anything in the water, and have a large number of passengers to protect.

I actually don't think they chlorinate the water when in the carribean, just pump it out of the ocean daily. They may not even be allowed to chlorinate since they would then be "dumping" chlorine into the ocean.

The hot tubs are always an issue for me,, they have signs that say no one under 16 and yet there are always parents that think those signs don't apply to "their" children. I want to relax and let the whirlpool work out some of my aches and pains, I really don't want to be part of "children soup", with little ones diving under the water, splashing, yelling, jumping, and doing generally childish things. I also have issue with rowdy drunks in there, but that happens a heck of a lot less than "children soup"

Archived