Royal Promenade

Ken Greco

Cunard have a Royal Arcade on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Much smaller in scale I would imagine than Royal Caribbean International. I think the Queen Mary of 1936 had a similar concept called the Shopping Arcade.

My understanding is that the design work for a new series of ships is very expensive so shipping lines have exclusive rights on the designs they pay for. That way Carnival could not just order an Oasis class ship or too obviously copy design aspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cunard have a Royal Arcade on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Much smaller in scale I would imagine than Royal Caribbean International. I think the Queen Mary of 1936 had a similar concept called the Shopping Arcade.

The Queen Mary 2 has some Inside cabins with an atrium view window....

The Quantum class ship's have "toned down" the concept....the Royal Esplanade and The Via, are on two decks....there are not three decks of cabins overlooking them as on the Voyager and Freedom class Royal Promenades....

The most narrow and crowded space of the ship.... which cannot handle such crowds.

While I do enjoy the Promenade when I sail on Royal, I prefer Carnival's new take of the ocean plaza area (starting with the Dream class ships and extending to the Vista class). Essentially, it's a mix of indoor and outdoor areas along deck 5. Let's me feel connected to the ocean which is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising.

Agreed. I'm recently off the Vista and I was on Independence last February (and again next February), and I really liked the "ocean connection" you get with the outdoor promenade area -- called "the Lanai" on the Vista. A lot of new-builds are encouraging that connection more these days, notably Norwegian's new ships with their copious outdoor restaurant seating, similar to Vista's.

This is not to say I don't like the Promenade on Freedom-class ships -- it's THE place to see and be seen (and have lousy pizza and drink in the Brit-pub :) ) during the music charter I go on -- but you have no sense of being on a ship, it's more like a mall.

Agreed. I'm recently off the Vista and I was on Independence last February (and again next February), and I really liked the "ocean connection" you get with the outdoor promenade area -- called "the Lanai" on the Vista. A lot of new-builds are encouraging that connection more these days, notably Norwegian's new ships with their copious outdoor restaurant seating, similar to Vista's.

This is not to say I don't like the Promenade on Freedom-class ships -- it's THE place to see and be seen (and have lousy pizza and drink in the Brit-pub :) ) during the music charter I go on -- but you have no sense of being on a ship, it's more like a mall.

I like being able to see the ocean from public rooms. Rooms like the Viking Crown Lounge and Schooner Bar on Sovereign.

Those promenade outdoor restaurant spaces would be great to try but as I cruise in Northern Europe and Norway they might not be usable.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pizza is getting better. Quite tasty on Oasis the past two months.

Ask them to put a slice back in oven for a minute.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app