Has anyone NOT received guarantee cabin?

JennJohnNYC

I do not believe you have. We are transplants and have lived here less than three years. We love it. We also love being within a days drive of Florida. We go back and forth quite a bit. We just back Saturday from a few days in Ft. Lauderdale, 4 nights on the Infinity(first SS, loved it), one night post cruise in St. Augustine.

Marie

Yes, the Upstate of SC is a great area to live in, but not as nice as living in TN...where we now live. ;) A little further from Florida (which we also like to visit) but we are only 5 hours from the SC coast, and between the TN and NC mountains with plenty of skiing (which we don't do anymore.)

Thanks all! They were indeed assigned a Celebrity Suite today.

That's great! Enjoy your cruise. Always better with good friends. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Any evidence of this? Anyone here ever been left at the quay side waving at an over-booked ship as it sailed away?

We've many of us sat at a crowded flight gate, heard the announcement and watched (or even participated in) the game of chicken for who can get the best deal to give up their seat. Or more rarely, who can make the most noise when told their seat doesn't exist. I've never heard of anything similar on any cruise line. The closest thing is the "you pay us for a better cabin" upgrade offer that sometimes works very well for everyone concerned.

But if anyone has suffered from the airline version of this model I stand corrected.

No, because that is not how it is implemented with cruising.

All overbooking problems are taken care of before embarkation day, so nobody will be left at the pier.

Before that day is when enough move-over offers or bribes to downgrade will be made and accepted. If enough offers are not accepted initially, then the offers will be enhanced until enough people will accept them.

Any evidence of this? Anyone here ever been left at the quay side waving at an over-booked ship as it sailed away?

We've many of us sat at a crowded flight gate, heard the announcement and watched (or even participated in) the game of chicken for who can get the best deal to give up their seat. Or more rarely, who can make the most noise when told their seat doesn't exist. I've never heard of anything similar on any cruise line. The closest thing is the "you pay us for a better cabin" upgrade offer that sometimes works very well for everyone concerned.

But if anyone has suffered from the airline version of this model I stand corrected.

I was abut to respond by saying that the "left at the quayside" thing could not happen on a cruise ship because they have to have their passenger list finalised three days in advance these days when I realised that is the same for (at least international) flights.

I am not sure that I have seen the overbooking scenario on overseas flights for some years. Have I been lucky or does it not longer happen on international flights? I know that, in the past few years, we have been on flights with empty seats. Never used to see that.

No, because that is not how it is implemented with cruising.

All overbooking problems are taken care of before embarkation day, so nobody will be left at the pier.

Before that day is when enough move-over offers or bribes to downgrade will be made and accepted. If enough offers are not accepted initially, then the offers will be enhanced until enough people will accept them.

Never seen anyone be left behind because of overbooking. There are those not allowed onboard for other reasons. :( However, we did see/hear a situation on Oceania last year. We had embarked the ship and were heading to our cabin when we overheard a ruckus in the hallway. Two separate couples were trying to get into the same stateroom. Somehow, Oceania had messed up and booked both into the same stateroom. :eek: The couples were arguing with each other, the staterooms attendant, and another crew member (maybe the hotel director?) It was quite a scene!

Prior to that cruise, and from what I had been reading on the Oceania forum, quite a bit of upselling goes on with that line. We were offered a really nice upsell about a month before that cruise. They wanted us to move to a following sailing, and into a Suite (from the standard balcony we had booked) and give us a very sizable refund. We had to decline because of flights and work conflicts. If we receive something similar for our upcoming cruise, we may take it this time. DH retires before the cruise. :D

Thanks all! They were indeed assigned a Celebrity Suite today.

So pleased for you all, no reassurance (even from CC) can stop that 'niggle' of worry from being there! Now you can all look forward to Luminae and Michael's Club.